Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topic is C_R_A_P Bonneville. I didn't want you guys to think I put something vulgar since it *****'d the title out.

So far:

Tank replaced under warranty due to orange peel in paint.

Valve cover re-torqued due to oil leak - warranty.

Valve cover gasket replaced under warranty - oil leaking again.

Valve cover replaced under warranty - oil leaking a third time.

Bike dies in the rain 90 miles from home but starts the next day. Dealer doesn't investigate electrics for water vulnerability; instead, tech cuts a slit in overflow hose coming from tank!?!? Invoice states that Triumph instructed them to do this.

Bike is currently in shop for a valve cover oil leak for the fourth time. Tech thinks that it is a porous head casting and is submitting request for replacement.

I politely let owner of the dealership know that I have brought the bike in for this problem yet again and he says, "This thing is driving me f****** crazy". At this point, I think I am the one who has the right to be frustrated.

Also, since about 1500 miles, my bike vibrates badly in a narrow rev range that the dealer says is normal. I have had it into the shop several times for this as well. I rode a fellow RAT's Bonnie and his bike was vibe free.

I also talked to Triumph customer service in Georgia and explained my concern over the vibration and the gentleman says, "It's an engine, it will vibrate". Finally, someone has confirmed that I am certainly a moron for failing to realize that reciprocating piston engines tend to vibrate! He also said that Triumph would not instruct any dealer to cut a slit in the gas tank overflow hose.

Through all of this no one has said anything as simple and appropriate as, "I am really sorry you are having all of these problems with your brand new bike that has only 3800 miles on it"; not Triumph customer service, nor my dealer.

So, my question to you guys is, at what point do I freakin' go nuts on my dealer for jerking me around?

P.S. In Tennessee - 4 failed attempts at correcting a problem OR 30 days out of service during the warranty period qualifies the owner for protection under the lemon law. I think the bike has already been out of service for 22+ days. This is their 4th chance to fix the oil leak.

[ This message was edited by: JTKMX on 2006-12-21 05:35 ]

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Sounds like Triumph is trying to get it straihgt, but their bedside manner leaves something to be desired. You have documentation on this problem being serviced under warranty and still not corrected to your satisfaction. While this erstwhile dealer is fuddling around with half measures, I would get in touch with the local Triumph sales rep and find out who you can talk to that can expedite your return to the road. DOCUMENT everything-dates, time, who spoke with ect. and if it doesn't happen within a reasonable time (for you) you can do two things: contact and report to Better Business Bureau (it really does get the dealers attention) and file the lemon law against Triumph.
I've had my bike for 3 years now and the only time I've had bad vibration is when I had the jetting all wrong on my air box mod, but that prevented the bike from reving. Sounds like something is wrong in crank and valve train.
These are really nice bikes and Triumph is usually very good about getting things done to keep customers happy. It'll be hard for you to have confidence in the bikes performance after this unless they really step up and pull the engine and inspect it with the help of Triumph.
I have seen problems with Rocket III engines (2) where Triumph assisted the tech at the dealer in finding problems by helping strip it down.
Hang in there.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Sorry about your bad experience - it really stinks! It's understandable for customer service reps to not have all the answers right away, but I hate being talked down to or contradicted. Answers like "that's normal" and "we would not instruct that" is just their way of saying "deny everything, make counter-accusations." It's as if speaking to you as if you were an idiot will make you a happier customer or, just as well for them, make you go away. This must not be tolerated - just politely ask to speak to their supervisor. And keep going, even if you end up paying for calls to Hinckley.

Keep us posted on how this plays out. Be sure to include the name of the dealership and the individual you spoke to in Georgia (I believe we all know his name anyway), as well as anyone else you talk to.

Good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
On 2006-12-21 05:23, JTKMX wrote:
The topic is C_R_A_P Bonneville. I didn't want you guys to think I put something vulgar since it *****'d the title out.

So far:

Tank replaced under warranty due to orange peel in paint.

Valve cover re-torqued due to oil leak - warranty.

Valve cover gasket replaced under warranty - oil leaking again.

Valve cover replaced under warranty - oil leaking a third time.

Bike dies in the rain 90 miles from home but starts the next day. Dealer doesn't investigate electrics for water vulnerability; instead, tech cuts a slit in overflow hose coming from tank!?!? Invoice states that Triumph instructed them to do this.

Bike is currently in shop for a valve cover oil leak for the fourth time. Tech thinks that it is a porous head casting and is submitting request for replacement.

I politely let owner of the dealership know that I have brought the bike in for this problem yet again and he says, "This thing is driving me f****** crazy". At this point, I think I am the one who has the right to be frustrated.

Also, since about 1500 miles, my bike vibrates badly in a narrow rev range that the dealer says is normal. I have had it into the shop several times for this as well. I rode a fellow RAT's Bonnie and his bike was vibe free.

I also talked to Triumph customer service in Georgia and explained my concern over the vibration and the gentleman says, "It's an engine, it will vibrate". Finally, someone has confirmed that I am certainly a moron for failing to realize that reciprocating piston engines tend to vibrate! He also said that Triumph would not instruct any dealer to cut a slit in the gas tank overflow hose.

Through all of this no one has said anything as simple and appropriate as, "I am really sorry you are having all of these problems with your brand new bike that has only 3800 miles on it"; not Triumph customer service, nor my dealer.

So, my question to you guys is, at what point do I freakin' go nuts on my dealer for jerking me around?

P.S. In Tennessee - 4 failed attempts at correcting a problem OR 30 days out of service during the warranty period qualifies the owner for protection under the lemon law. I think the bike has already been out of service for 22+ days. This is their 4th chance to fix the oil leak.

Regarding the vibration, you may want to make sure the carbs are synced. Regarding your lemon law, you may want to let Triumph and the dealer know that in addition to the BBB, you'll also be contacting your state's Attorney General's office. Not many motor vehicle deales like to hear this.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
On 2006-12-21 07:53, SPTRIP wrote:
Regarding your lemon law, you may want to let Triumph and the dealer know that in addition to the BBB, you'll also be contacting your state's Attorney General's office. Not many motor vehicle dealers like to hear this.
In addition to what SPTRIP has said, it is important that you not appear to be making idle threats. Most people who say they will take action never really do, and businesspeople know it. Here is a link to the Tennessee state website regarding the lemon law. Take note of the requirement to notify the manufacturer via certified mail, and proceed EXACTLY ACCORDING TO SCHEDULE. If you delay they will think they can drag their feet and buy time. Your dealer must know that you are aware of the law and are proceeding. The more informed and willing to take action you are, the faster you will see results.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
'I am really sorry you are having all of these problems with your brand new bike that has only 3800 miles on it'

I know coming from a fellow Bonnie owner, it doesn't quite have the impact you're looking for. But I truly am sorry for you and your bike's plight. And as much as we type from the comfort of our home, we truly can't fully understand what you're going through. I'm sickened by it, and know that if the same thing were happening to me..... big business would easily get the better of me and I would never get ANY satisfaction. I hope you have better luck than what my cynicism has learned to expect from the likes of a rather distant BMW and/or Triumph.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Sounds more like C-R-A-P dealer. The things you describe sound like minor issues that a competent tech should be able to resolve quickly. Not to mention that the same tech might be the one who set up the bike.

Porous casting? Please! How about improper torquing or improper gasket seating? I mean, they've tried to fix it without success, but it's really just one problem, seepage at the valve cover.

Slit in the overflow hose? Dying in the wet and narrow range vibration...could be as simple as a loose plug wire or a boot coming off at the coil.

Anyway, I can't really diagnose and fix your bike remotely, but it really sounds like the tech is a blockhead. After all, he's a common thread through all the problems.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I feel for you. I went through the same headaches with a '97 Dodge Dakota I bought new. What a POS. It all ended with me shouting at the local fleet manager and swearing to never buy anouther Chrysler product.

I agree with the Doc. Is there another dealer you can try?

Pourous head? Please. That would have been the last straw for me.

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If I were having these problems I would phone Triumph in Hinckley UK and talk to the Managing Director - if you need any help getting the details let me know.

Then again, as I live 80 miles from the factory, I'd ride it there and place it in reception with a huge sign that said "This is not fit for sale" just when another group of visitors were about to be shown around!

It seems you got a "Friday afternoon" model here - the dealer, like most motorbike dealers, is dreadful though - name and shame them in the press? or the local trading standards people?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your problems. Like most of us you probably spent ages deciding which bike to go for and then to have this amount of hassle is a really bad deal.

I had a Suzuki 600 Bandit that buzzed and vibrated at 3500 revs - right in the centre of the rev range - it drove me mad !(they all do it apparently) - when I test rode the Bonnie it was heaven in comparison - just a slight vibe that let you know the engine was running, getting a bit more noticeable near the red line, which you would expect. But never ever anything remotely uncomfortable.

Steve

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I really feel for you! Sounds like a new dealer is in order. These bikes are a blast when they run rite. Mine has never seen ythe dealer since new. The lemon law sounds like a possibility. I did it w/ a Z-28 Cammaro which by the way wound up having a pourous cast engine block. Engine vibes- they are not Honda's, so some vib is t obe expected . Its part of a Triumph, but should not be excessive & all the time. These things are British. If you ever owned a british car in the past, you know what I mean. Your problems sound excessive, & I would opt for A NEW ONE. I couldnt go w/o my bike for 1 week let alone 22 days? Gooid luck & dont give up! Keep us all informed of the progress, I am sure all are interested . Good luck! :hammer:

·
Registered
204 Posts
It sounds like there are a lot of lazy @ss dealers around the world. At the same time, the new Triumph management appear not to care. If Triumph cared, there'd be a way to contact the head office and have the complaints addressed.
Here in Hong Kong, I've been fed some dodgy lines about why x, y &z are happening and it all seems a bit Arthur Daley to me.
Guys it's 2006; we have amazing computer systems.
Triumph - how about some reaction?

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
JTKMX -

I'd advise you stay loyal to the Bonne for a bit longer and get it through these problems. Also, there is no need to call the UK and complain, because they're going to tell you to call Triumph USA in Georgia. So start there, as well as find another dealer.

I had a great Harley-Davidson FXDX Dyna Super Glide Sport that had similar initial problems 3 - 4 times. But I finally got it fixed right, and the bike ran great thereafter. By comparison, a buddy sold his Buell after it suffered just one problem.

My philosophy in this regard is that I don't demand or expect total perfection in my friends or family members, because nobody is perfect. So how can I expect it in a motorcycle?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to clarify, the vibration I speak of is not part of the vertical twin character. It feels as though someone is grabbing the frame under the seat and shaking it. It feels like it is vibrating at half the speed of the engine - not buzziness or first order vibrations. I had a 2004 America before and the 270 engine exhibited a characteristic vibe as the revs rose. This is considerably different than that.

Regarding my dealer, I would like to have a good relationship with them. This is one of the reasons I have been nice about everything. However, I think a sour relationship is an inevitability.

Regarding the technician, he stated that everything became "vanilla" after 1998; one component made in England, one in Japan, one in Thailand... His point being that since there has been globalization of suppliers, high quality is not achievable, so I should just accept it. I'll bet Toyota and Honda would disagree with his opinion.

I know that if would have bought a Jap bike, I would probably have not had any problems. I figure that it is easier to make a Bonneville perform like a modern, semi-performance oriented machine than it would be to make a sporty machine look like a Bonneville. I hope that in the end I don't have to get rid of the Bonnie and get a nice, reliable, high-performance, reasonably-priced, boring Japanese motorcycle.

[ This message was edited by: JTKMX on 2006-12-21 22:42 ]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
On 2006-12-21 22:38, JTKMX wrote:
Regarding the technician, he stated that everything became "vanilla" after 1998; one component made in England, one in Japan, one in Thailand... His point being that since there has been globalization of suppliers, high quality is not achievable, so I should just accept it. I'll bet Toyota and Honda would disagree with his opinion.
Run away. Run fast and far from this guy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Triumph's customer service in the UK is no better. I know this doesn't help but I've recently had problems with them regarding my T100; problems which are still unresolved.

·
Registered
381 Posts
johnsime said:
Then again, as I live 80 miles from the factory, I'd ride it there and place it in reception with a huge sign that said "This is not fit for sale" just when another group of visitors were about to be shown around!
Been there done that.
But this was back in 1987 when that [email protected] Les Harris was selling s h i t e.
I drove 250 miles with my bike on a trailer and pushed it back into the factory and said "sort that".

[ This message was edited by: English_Spanner on 2006-12-22 12:06 ]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts