Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any help would be appreciated….

-Put the key, no lights at all come on, and obviously the bike won't start.
-Replaced all fuses in case that was the problem…. still didn't fix it.
-Battery was low, turned out the battery was bad.. So i replaced it with a AGM X2power one fully charged.
-New battery still didn't fix the problem..
-Needless to say, i am frustrated and i am not sure what the problem may be.

**PROBLEM SOLVED!! It was SLOT #2 FUSE - IGNITION SWITCH MAIN FEED.**

-------

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Well, I'll be the first to ask. Do you use the kill switch to shut the bike off? Is the Kill switch on?
Kill switches ought to be banned & abolished

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Kill switches ought to be banned & abolished
I've never used mine, but last weekend I had some visitors round my garage and their kids had their sticky mitts all over my bikes.

Come Sunday I dressed up to go and enjoy a ride and ...nothing. It was dead.

Bike gear off, Seat off, side cover off, checked battery, pulled out fuses, scratched head and 3/4 hour later saw that one of the little gits had flicked the kill switch OFF.:mad:

Where's King Herod when you need him?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello

Main Fuse or battery cable or bad earth or kill switch.

Barry
Not the main fuse, as i already replaced all of them. Not the kill switch…i always turn it on when i turn on the bike, and turn it off when i turn off the bike. Its habit, i do it with every bike I've owned.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Forchetto, see what I'm talking about.
Have you ever had one of your buddies pull up next to you and flick your kill switch??

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Zhydro,
OK, could we have more info about your bike. Year, milage, condition? If it's a new (1-2yrs) then it may be a dealer issue. If it's older we may try to help to diagnose issues that happen with age.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zhydro,
OK, could we have more info about your bike. Year, milage, condition? If it's a new (1-2yrs) then it may be a dealer issue. If it's older we may try to help to diagnose issues that happen with age.
Its a 2004, just hit 18k miles, its in fairly great condition.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
It might be time to check the ignition switch. If you have an ohmmeter or continuity tester, drop the headlight, find ignition switch connector, separate the two halves and check the 3 sets of contacts like this:

Look at post 4 on the thread below to see the sort of thing that tends to happen to some switches:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/179207-electrical-problem-bonneville-2008-efi.html

More of the same on this one:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...blems-ignition-key-starter-block-blowing.html

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Or take a test light and see if you got voltage anywhere. Even
test the new battery. Test light. Test light. Test light. Go buy one
then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[solved]

Looks like i replaced every single fuse other than slot #2's ignition switch main feed. I was looking at the fuse chart and thought to myself..hmm i don't remember changing that one.. so in short i changed it, and problem is now fixed…

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's not over with yet.......What caused that fuse to blow? If you don't know it will happen again. You either find out what is causing the fuse failure or you ride around with a pocketful of new fuses...........There is only one choice here as I see it. The Meister

·
Registered
386 Posts
zhydro, have you got an alarm fitted?
if not have you checked the connector block it pugs inot, shoud have a blanking plug in it with i believe 2 wires in it, if that comes unattached (yes i ahve done it when taking seat off) bike will do nothing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts