Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im looking for a used Thruxton but am finding way more bonnevilles for sale. Seating position on the Thruxton is more comfortable for my 6'3 frame and i definitely like the looks of the thruxton way more.

How intensive would it be to convert a used bonnie to a thruxton. Differences seem to be smaller front wheel, clipons, rearsets and exhaust? Is there much else different?Are these all direct bolt on replacements between the two?

·
Registered
211 Posts
OEM Thrux rearsets are almost impossible to find used, and cost a fortune new. Bars are easy and cheap to change (only older Thruxtons came with clip ons).

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy the Thruxton outright.

Really more difference in the two bikes then meets the eye. Like steering head angle for one, which is a different frame geometry. 18 inch front wheel, different front brake system, instruments, exhaust, headers, carbs were different set up and set at a different angle with the intake manifold. rear sets and controls, seat cowl and seat, on and on, the list much longer then it looks to the eye. Been some rumblings that the swing arms are different on the carb models, I think longer. Rear shocks longer, etc. You get the point. Aluminum wheels alone would almost break the bank.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I'm 6'-2" and feel comfortable on a modified T100.
If its just the seating position you are looking for you can easily make that change to a bonneville. You just need to get bars, rearsets and a different seat. For the fit and feel that will get you 90% of the way there. The other differences are there, but won't make as much a difference to how the bike "fits" you. With a Solo Cafe Seat, Norman Hyde rearsets and M-bars I was very comfortable on my bike.

Bars $70, rearsets $200 to $500, seat $200 to $300. Much of that you can find here in the classifieds.

If you really want a Thruxton I would hold out. I originally wanted one but found the same issue with availability as you mentioned. I found a great 2007 T100 and went for it. Looking back now there are a few things about the Thruxton that I wish I had, namely the 18" wheels and better front brake. The rest I've already changed or modified and would have done anyways. I'm happy with my personalized bike now.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Funny I wanted a Bonnie, but ended up with a Thruxton as it was in stock, not sold and they offered me a better deal.

You all forgot one of the best issues, the Thruxton's forks are adjustable for pre-load, I don't think the bonnie's are. I am 5'8" and I don't actually find the Thruxton all that comfortable. I made a few small changes, but the throttle cables are short enought to preclude me putting on different bars, not an easy fix. Rear sets, LSL actually move the feet forward, but I don't want to spend the money and I think they look a bit out of place.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm on my second conversion my 07 good wood green Bonnie has been a Bonnie a thruxton a scrambler and is now back to a thruxton. It is the Caitlyn Jenner of motorcycles.

Here are my thoughts:
Sato rear sets ( they are really nice)
Later model thruxton wheels and speedo drive (if not a canbus bike) better spoke pull
Woodcraft 1" clipons
Seat of your choice
Here's the biggest mod braking or galfer wave rotor

I converted mine to 7/8 bars more envolved than you would think.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sounds good. Maybe ill keep looking for a thruxton then, will see. The bonnies im finding are selling for way cheaper too.

Any reason for the 18 in front wheel preference? Is it more tore options?

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Sounds good. Maybe ill keep looking for a thruxton then, will see. The bonnies im finding are selling for way cheaper too.

Any reason for the 18 in front wheel preference? Is it more tore options?
Correct. The 19" limits the front wheel choices quite a bit. Also, the wheels that come with the thruxton are nicer and lighter weight.

If you get a T100 remember the cases are chrome vs. brushed. Both look good, just different.

You can't go wrong either way. Find the bike that feels right and you'll soon be making it your own regardless of where it starts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You right and I already have a picture in my mind what I want it to look like.

Any of you taller guys have experience with the bonneville SE? The 17 front makes the bike look so much smaller than the T100/thruxton

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm 6'5" and found the 17" wheel versions to be way too small for me. I went with a T100, and added Thruxton length shocks and Norman Hyde M bars. I fit just fine.

Reactions: zenbike

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Seems like half the guys here Thruxify their Bonnies to some extent. It can be as minor as lower bars or to the point where you might wonder why not a Thrux in the first place?

Bonnies do everything comfortably. You can cruise, you can ride fast-ish, you can double.

Check that, they do everything comfortably if you're around average height. And you don't want to be doubling a really fat woman on a Bonnie. That might be a terrible thing to say but it's still true.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I put a heavy set women on the bike and when I went to stop I found out the front wheel was not touching the ground all that much. Never again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts