Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was planning on doing a battery box/side panel delete this winter.

The Bonnevilles have the rear master cylinder bolted vertically to a large, unsightly tab right under the panel.

Wanted to basically convert the stock right foot control to the Scrambler set-up to open up the middle of the frame as much as possible, and cut off the tab.

I think all I need is a Scrambler brake pedal, bracket, and a new master cylinder and reservoir/reservoir cover. I believe the master cylinders are the same Nissin ones that are found on Speed Triples and other bikes, which are plentiful second hand.

Does anyone know if the position of the foot pegs/pedals on Scramblers are identical to the Bonnevilles? And is there anything else I'm missing to make this conversion possible? I'm hoping all the screws and little bits, including the brake switch, from the Bonneville will be transferable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You will also need the return spring for the pedal.
You can use the Bonneville m/cylinder, just need to shorten the operating rod and rethread it. The switch is a pressure switch on the end of the m/c, need to lengthen the wires from the harness. The Scrambler uses a spring loaded remote switch operated by the pedal which attaches where you want to open up. I used the Bonneville hose, re routed it somewhat but it's been fine for 4 years. I seem to remember it was straight forward, may have needed a couple of fasteners/bolts but that was it.
The rt peg ends up an inch or so lower, works out for me as I left an inch of my lt femur beside a race track one day, may bug the heck out of you though.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rt peg ends up an inch or so lower, works out for me as I left an inch of my lt femur beside a race track one day, may bug the heck out of you though.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, 6t. That pretty much sways me towards not doing the conversion as I wasn't planning on doing the shifter side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts