Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was planning on doing a battery box/side panel delete this winter.

The Bonnevilles have the rear master cylinder bolted vertically to a large, unsightly tab right under the panel.

Wanted to basically convert the stock right foot control to the Scrambler set-up to open up the middle of the frame as much as possible, and cut off the tab.

I think all I need is a Scrambler brake pedal, bracket, and a new master cylinder and reservoir/reservoir cover. I believe the master cylinders are the same Nissin ones that are found on Speed Triples and other bikes, which are plentiful second hand.

Does anyone know if the position of the foot pegs/pedals on Scramblers are identical to the Bonnevilles? And is there anything else I'm missing to make this conversion possible? I'm hoping all the screws and little bits, including the brake switch, from the Bonneville will be transferable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You will also need the return spring for the pedal.
You can use the Bonneville m/cylinder, just need to shorten the operating rod and rethread it. The switch is a pressure switch on the end of the m/c, need to lengthen the wires from the harness. The Scrambler uses a spring loaded remote switch operated by the pedal which attaches where you want to open up. I used the Bonneville hose, re routed it somewhat but it's been fine for 4 years. I seem to remember it was straight forward, may have needed a couple of fasteners/bolts but that was it.
The rt peg ends up an inch or so lower, works out for me as I left an inch of my lt femur beside a race track one day, may bug the heck out of you though.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rt peg ends up an inch or so lower, works out for me as I left an inch of my lt femur beside a race track one day, may bug the heck out of you though.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, 6t. That pretty much sways me towards not doing the conversion as I wasn't planning on doing the shifter side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
6t - Just picked upon this old thread when searching for a solution on this topic. I am about to convert my T100 footrest assemblies to the Scrambler version and wanted to get more info on the rear brake switch. It is clear that they differ in terms of my T100 top mounted hydraulic pressure switch and the Scrambler design. I have acquired the Scrambler hardware (outriggers, brake pedal, springs, fixings etc), but what changes are required other than the re-routing of brake lines and re-mounting the master cylinder on the Scrambler footrest assembly?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You've probably realized that the brake fluid reservoir and m/c are moved to the footrest hanger to make room for the Scrambler exhaust system. If you are not putting a Scrambler exhaust on then you could use the original reservoir with a longer line. The Triumph Scrambler reservoir and shield were not expensive so it's up to you.
The master cylinder casting is the same for the Scrambler as the T100 so both bolt onto the hanger in the same way. I used my T100 m/c to save the hassle of getting the Scrambler brake switch, it is a mechanical device that fits to the frame and it was less trouble to shorten and re-thread the actuating rod on the T100 m/c and keep the pressure switch of the T100. Also needed to lengthen the wires to the brake switch but that's easy. I kept the T100 rear brake line and re-routed as per the pic, I installed that plastic cable shield that you see in the pics to keep the worst of the crud from splashing on the line, been that way for close to ten years so...
Hope the pics make sense, ask whatever you need, glad to help.

p.s. Looks like I need a new rubber cover for the switch, and maybe a little 'bike cleaning :)

IMG_5074.JPG

Reactions: paulg027

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This is the correct size for the scrambler, you just need to shorten the hose a little (the listing has nothing to do with me)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for your detailed response 6t. I have the Scrambler master cylinder with the feed on the opposite side to the T100 and with the right length push rod, conversion looks very straightforward, and from your images the T100 brake switch can be retained. Nice one.

I agree, a new rubber switch cover and some soapy water are in order!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thanks for your detailed response 6t. I have the Scrambler master cylinder with the feed on the opposite side to the T100 and with the right length push rod, conversion looks very straightforward, and from your images the T100 brake switch can be retained. Nice one.

I agree, a new rubber switch cover and some soapy water are in order!

I must have missed a bit, I'll get right on that ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
The problem with this modification, I've just discovered is the low exhaust headers on the Bonnie. At least on the EFI models, they stock out just far enough that the master cylinder banjo bolt won't fit. I'm thinking if I could get half inch stand offs for the lower outrigger and replace the switch banjo with a regular one (I already have the scrambler brake switch) this could just work.

I am a little concerned with the M/C's proximity to the exhaust pipes. Brake fluid gets hot under normal conditions, I don't know it it is wise to have the M/C so close to the pipes...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I used 30mm spacers on the right hand footrest, this allows the brake banjo to clear. I'll see if I can sort out a picture tomorrow.
Rob

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Now I come to think of it I spaced the hanger on mine maybe 25cm. . No problem with the heat because of the high pipes but gave more clearance leg-to-high pipe.Picked up some longer fasteners and some alloy spacers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts