Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be needing to replace the tires on my 2007 Bonneville T100 soon and would like to know if anyone has any recommendations.

The bike came with Metzeler ME 33 (front) and ME Z2 (rear). I'm pretty happy with the way they performed. At about 7500 miles they still have a bit of tread left, but the rear is getting pretty flat in the center now.

Has anyone had a better experience with a different tire? Perhaps one that lasted longer with the same traction and performance as the Metzelers?

Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hey Vince,

There are quite a few discussions on the subject. The best way to get an overview is to do a search, select advanced search, use the keyword tire, and select forums twins technical talk, (for more results also select club cafe and twins talk)

There are not a lot of choices for us, so you might also have a look at riders who have changed their wheels out. You know, just for more options. ;)

Good luck. Selecting good tires is a basic upgrade to our bikes.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Tires

Bud had Metz stock. Went to Pirelli & loved the handling! Now just on a new set of Avons. The call's still out on them so far?

·
30,308 Posts
I like the metzeler lasertecs (I ditched the MEZ2 rear and put on a lasertec in its place) but I have heard LOTS of rave reviews about the Pirelli sport demons, because they stick well and have great handling apparently. Have to give those a try next year.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I like my Pirelli Sport Demons, as do many riders.

·
Registered
913 Posts
After the stockers I went to AVON's. They were great tires but bald (front and rear) after 6k miles. Not wanting to spend so much money every year for new sneakers (my Bon's a daily driver) I switched to these (don't laugh):

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6217/ITEM/Kings-KT-932-Rear-Tire.aspx

I went with 130/90 H-17 rear, 100/90 H-19 front

So far (about 3k miles) I have no complaints at all. I'll easily get to 6k miles on the rear and by the looks of it I might actually get two seasons out of the front. They handle/ride as well as the original 'Stones, maybe not quite as sticky as the AVONS. Not a true "performance" tires but they fly around on my crappy PA back roads quite nicely. (Oh, and don't believe what Perry of Glidden, WI writes in his review. Probably a Harely rider who forgot to inflate his tires).

·
Registered
964 Posts
The stock Metzelers leave a lot to be desired; the front Lazertech is fair to mediocre, but the MEZ2 radial on the rear really stinks,with poor traction and weird handling. Metzeler must have paid Triumph to take a boatload off their hands.:D At 6000 miles, I replaced them with Dunlop GT-501, 150/70-17 in the rear, and 100/90-18 in the front. I'm on my second set after getting 9000 miles from the first. The rear was worn down to the indicators, the front still had tread but was slightly cupped. I paid $285.52 for the first set, and $322.99for the second, prices included mounting and balancing with the wheels brought in loose. With both front and rear fitted with bias-ply tires, the handling is smooth, predictable and has good traction in the wet.---James.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've just switched to the BT045 Battlax's. 100/90x19 front, and a move up to 140/70x18 rear. Front and rear rolling diameter almost the same as stock, and the handling is much, much better.

Dick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts