Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Triumph T120
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a photo of my 2020 Bonneville T120. I have added the electronic cruise control, the OEM rack, and I WANTED the wax cotton OEM panniers, but no one in the Triumph world of distribution could find them or knew when/where and how these could be found. So, I purchased a pair of GIVI E22N hard luggage, which are waterproof and lockable, so perhaps it was a blessing in disguise.

You can carry a 12 pack of beer EASILY in each side, along with a box of condoms if that is your thing. No, seriously, they do carry a lot of beer, I can put a gallon of milk in each side, which takes up about half the room. I like these E22N's because they aren't too large yet they do carry most of the stuff when I go to the grocery store. Pop off the stays in about five seconds, mount on in less time than that, and the bike looks pretty good without the panniers installed.

I also have the GIVI windshield, which works quite well. It may look a little odd at times, but at 5'8" tall, normal torso height, I get a pretty smooth airflow and OK weather protection. Took about 45 minutes to mount, as I had to figure out how to position it correctly for what I was looking for, but like everything GIVI, the quality is good and the windscreen feels very solid on the bike.
Give.T120.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Solid addition! I’m all for carrying some extra beer with me on a longer ride for some refreshment under the sun 😎

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good choice on the Givi hard luggage 👍🏽 I had a top box on both my KLR and SV650 during my messenger days in SoCal. Now 18 years later, I still have my Givi top box that's probably going to go either on a T120 or T900 Rally Pro. So many choices 🤪

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I've been wondering how the GIVI E22N bags would look on a Bonneville T120 and I have to say that they look better than I thought they would. I have GIVI E21Ns on mine and I've been wondering what I would do if something happened to one (they aren't available anymore). I think the E21s complement the retro look of the T120 better than the E22s, but that's just a personal opinion.

BTW, I had the Triumph Waxed Cotton Panniers on my bike for the first 11 months and I ended up hating them. They were almost impossible to keep clean and if you rode in the rain for even the shortest time the contents were going to get wet. The rain covers arguably made things worse because they tended to trap water in rather than keep water out. I rode more than 200 miles once in steady moderate to heavy rain with the E21s and I was soaked but the contents of the bags were dry when I got where I was going.

BUT: I covered the leading edges of the lid seams and the locks with some 1" Blenderm tape when I knew I'd be riding in rain for an extended period.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a set of E21s on my Versys 650 and I've used then on 15 days trips, just pack smartly. One thing I love about them is how thin they are, which means you can still split lanes / filter without having to worry about the cases hitting something.

·
Registered
2020 Triumph T120
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the things I really like about these cases, is the top opening. My Harley has them, and they beat the side clamshell opening style, whereby half your stuff falls into the lid when you open the case.

Finding something that looks OK on a classic bike, like these, certainly works!

·
Registered
2020 Triumph T120
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't really answer the question honestly, as I haven't had a passenger on it. I will climb on the back sometime and see how it fits, but I am pretty sure it is OK from the position of the panniers to the footpeg.

I agree with PGR on his assessment of the Triumph Wax Cotton luggage system. I read a few reviews on them, and highly impractical in many ways, but I wanted OEM. I like the GIVI's, they fit nice, very secure on the bike, easy on/off, and lockable - waterproof too!

·
Registered
2020 Triumph T120
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the E22N bags interfere with a passengers' legs?
I went out and sat on the bike with the panniers installed. I am 5'8" tall with standard torso dimensions. When my feet are on the pegs with the arches right in the middle, NO they do not touch the luggage. If you put the balls of your feet on the pegs, the calf does touch the luggage, but they do conform to the luggage satisfactorily.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I went out and sat on the bike with the panniers installed. I am 5'8" tall with standard torso dimensions. When my feet are on the pegs with the arches right in the middle, NO they do not touch the luggage. If you put the balls of your feet on the pegs, the calf does touch the luggage, but they do conform to the luggage satisfactorily.
Thanks for the info. My SO is very picky about being comfortable on the back and not having luggage get in the way. I don't blame her. I would be the same.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
luggage rarely looks good but serves a purpose. i have a victory hammer + gotta say their baggers looked very good while carrying more than the hardleys!!! my T120 had the Triumph bags on that were mentioned + a tank bag i removed, gotta say its nice to throw a few things in when needed. i never ride in the rain + dont ride if its iffy, but seen some sprays said to waterproof the canvas + think they look decent BUT would NOT have paid that much $$$ for them + see a few for sale on e-bay at good pricing

·
Registered
2020 Triumph T120
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My experience with luggage systems is that if you ride most days IE commute to work, etc., that the hard luggage is the way to go. I have owned a few throw over soft luggage, and although I could carry stuff, it was to me a temporary solution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts