Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

First time posting here. I’m an absolute beginner in the triumph world and need your help!

I wanted to ask you guys about something I heard about the Bonneville t100 that might make me go for a different bike if it’s true..
I want to buy the t100 to ride exclusively around the city, go to work and back home, go to the gym, take my wife to dinner, etc, do all the stuff I usually do on my day to day, ride about 10 miles per day I guess. At the moment I’m not considering going for any weekend rides (perhaps I will in the future though). So, my question is: do you guys think the t100 is too much of a bike for city riding only?

I’ve heard somebody saying that I wouldn’t be using the 900cc engine properly because it was designed for long and high speed rides and might cause some issues in the long run. He also said the engine wouldn’t even have time to rise to a decent temperature if I’m only doing short rides. And that I’ll need to go for long rides in the weekends in order to make the engine run as it’s required.

Any comments about this would be really appreciated since I’m an absolute newbie on this subject and I’m not able to find info online. I feel that if I go to a dealer with this question they would quickly say it’s BS because they’d just want me to buy the bike!

Thanks so much in advance everybody

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think you're a real candidate for an electric motorcycle.
Apart from looks that is ;)

Or a cheap light (retro) bike.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the T100 too.
I mainly use it for short rides here in the alps and into the village.
I have no problems taking it for a 6 hr ride on the weekend with my wife on the back.
It is a great bike with plenty of power for longer rides and nimble in town.
It is a cool bike and is easy to ride and versatile.
Dont take advice from people who speculate.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Different bike same engine: I ride my Street Twin a mere five miles from Brooklyn into Manhattan every day for the past few months. The engine is just fine and it's nice to have that low down torque in heavy slow traffic. The size of the T100 wouldn't be a problem at all. I've only been riding for four years, and the commuting has made me a better rider for having to master slow maneuvers and develop a 360 degree sensibility all the time. I did it to get off the subway (which is in ruins in NYC) and now I'm refreshed when I get to work instead of angry. Go for it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’ve owned a 2017 T100 for 22 months. You can use it however you like. If you want to local runs it’s perfect. If you want to do 150 miles it’s perfect. Best thing about having a bike this size is that you are never limited to where you ride or how you ride, you can keep up with the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Different bike same engine: I ride my Street Twin a mere five miles from Brooklyn into Manhattan every day for the past few months. The engine is just fine and it's nice to have that low down torque in heavy slow traffic. The size of the T100 wouldn't be a problem at all. I've only been riding for four years, and the commuting has made me a better rider for having to master slow maneuvers and develop a 360 degree sensibility all the time. I did it to get off the subway (which is in ruins in NYC) and now I'm refreshed when I get to work instead of angry. Go for it.
love it! does the commute ever get you to work flustered from all the 360 degree sensibility and you find you have to sit for a minute before starting your day. That's what happens to me :grin2:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had a t100 for a couple months. It fuels beautifully and has a super light clutch. A very usable friendly bike. And cool too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Might be an idea to gear down. First gear feels a little tall for continuous city stop start riding...and with a passenger.
I've been thinking of gearing down to 17/44 for the type of riding I do - 98% rural.
It'd be interesting to read from those who know ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Might be an idea to gear down. First gear feels a little tall for continuous city stop start riding...and with a passenger.
I've been thinking of gearing down to 17/44 for the type of riding I do - 98% rural.
It'd be interesting to read from those who know ....

Oops, apologies just realised I've responded to a post in the watercooled T100 section...mine is an '07

·
Registered
350 Posts
Whoever told u that is clueless. The 900 is if anything very much suited for lower speeds and city riding, not high speeds and distance. Not that u can't, but thats not it's forte. I have a 1700 740 Lb thunderbird and i ride a lot in the city and it works perfectly for that chore. So that being the case it speaks volumes about how well suited the 900 will be. But they are all good for city IMO. You don't need to start looking at what is capable till your talking high speed and distance. Most sizes will do city just fine as long as they are well designed, for distance and speed then you need to look at a specific size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I regularly commute across the bridge into San Francisco (heavy traffic, lane splitting, dodging uber drivers and casual carpoolers), but also ride fairly twisty/hilly roads in this area just for fun. The T100 does everything well enough to be a single bike for most people.

I added a windshield and heated grips for this winter ("winter") and some Givi luggage because it makes the bike 10X more useful for me. It really is a versatile bike and perfect for anyone who has a handle on the basics of riding. And it just plain looks nice, doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I had the street twin... same 900cc HT engine as the T100. My view is that it is perfect city bike...powerful enough where you need it agile enough in tight traffic and lane splitting. You can do highway and country miles on it, but that would have to be at a gentle pace 70 to 80 miles an hour. Bound to knock the socks off a 350 Bullet tho.

If you want to do longer trips with your lady i suggest you take a look at the T120. That is the only caveat i would have, but i am a bit of a pusher when it comes to pace...... most of the scenery that i view on a trip is the distance to and the sharpness of the next bend. I have seen some amazing tar seal (blacktop) in my travels..... trees, lakes,swans... not so much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You've got greatly versatile bike there. I use mine for work, weekends and even longer rides, sometimes by myself or with my wife on the back. Would buy again in a heart beat.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Based on the thread, you've already received some great feedback....but here is my two cents.
I have a 2013 T100 and have been riding it around San Francisco for quite some time now. I love the T100, but what I feel makes this bike incredible for city riding is it's gearing. We can have horrible traffic in the city and the fact that I can do so much in the lower gears is a big bonus, none of this shifting up and down and back up as I muddle through the traffic. That can get old. On the flip side, if you need to get out of a situation, you have the power to pull away quickly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've owned heavy bikes (HD and BMW) and I've owned a 550cc Suzuki and I think the T-100 comes about as close to perfect for an all around bike as there is. Not too light to get blown around by big trucks if you do decide to take it out on weekends and not too heavy to feel bulky riding it around town. Ride it for a year and see what you think. I think you'll be pleased. Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I owned an air-cooled Bonneville for 5 years and used it for daily commute to work 7 miles each way. Worked fine. I now have a T120 water cooled, and it's an even BETTER bike for short city commuting than my old Bonnie, because of the T120's (and T100's) low-rpm torque (as someone else said) and because of the very light clutch action. On my older Bonnie my hand would get so tired working the stiff clutch, but this new torque-assisted clutch is a breeze to use. And I think the lighter weight of the T100 over my T120 would make it an even better commuter.

-Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
I want to buy the t100 to ride exclusively around the city, go to work and back home, go to the gym, take my wife to dinner, etc, do all the stuff I usually do on my day to day, ride about 10 miles per day I guess. At the moment I’m not considering going for any weekend rides (perhaps I will in the future though). So, my question is: do you guys think the t100 is too much of a bike for city riding only?
Not at all! The T100 is a fantastic city bike. Most weeks mine doesn't get above 40mph and is perfectly happy purring along at 25-30 on residential streets. It's not a lightweight bike, but it has a low center of gravity and a low seat height, so it feels light at low speed. It's also quite happy on (paved) country roads at 55mpg. I wouldn't recommend it for trying to cover 500+ miles a day on a freeway at 75mph. I'm sure it'll quite happily do 75mph for a long stretch, but it definitely feels like it needs a 6th gear and a windshield to make the rider happy doing that.

I’ve heard somebody saying that I wouldn’t be using the 900cc engine properly because it was designed for long and high speed rides and might cause some issues in the long run.
Utter nonsense.

He also said the engine wouldn’t even have time to rise to a decent temperature if I’m only doing short rides. And that I’ll need to go for long rides in the weekends in order to make the engine run as it’s required.
Stop listening to him.

Most days my T100 engine reaches normal operating temps within 5 minutes or so on short rides (the fan comes on at stoplights). It actually warms up faster in slow stop/go traffic than it does at higher speeds. Modern water-cooled bikes are quite good at maintain a normal operating temperature over a wide range of speeds and ambient temps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts