Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for instruction and/or diagram to assist in brake pad replacement for a Bonneville T100 2003. Also looking for a downloadable version or a website which I can view the repair manual. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Currently, the only manual available is the factory manual which you purchase through a dealer. You can sometimes pick up a used one on the forum or on Ebay.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Go for the Triumph factory manual. It will tell you everything you need if your like to turn your own wrenches. The best upgrade you can make on your Bonnie's brakes is to replace the pads with EBC/HH pads. They increase the "bite" and you get no fade at all. The next thing to do is replace the front brake hose with SS braided hose. Then bleed your brakes with DOT 4 fluid.
Triumph front brakes are notorious for being hard to bleed, and for getting air pockets that soften the lever feel. A trick for getting every last bit of air out is to remove the caliper bolts that hold the caliper to the fork, remove the caliper and push the brake pads all the way back in to the caliper housing, forcing the pistons into their fully retracted position. This vents ALL the air out and into the reservoir. It's a good idea to remove some fluid from the reservoir before pushing the pads back in to prevent overflow. Re-install the calipers and torque the bolts, then, after topping off the reservoir slowly pump the lever until the action gets firm. I do this once a year when I change the brake fluid, or whenever I change the brake pads. Now my Bonnie's front brake can produce a stoppie! No need to replace the stock rotor with an after market item. Cheers, tommyturbo2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts