Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.i have brocken my key in steering lock on my 2009 bonneville anyone know how to remove lock.pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
angle grinder? It doesn't look easy, nor should it be, since if it could be removed easily it would defeat the purpose. Maybe somebody will be along with a better idea, but off hand, it sounds like you might be permanently removing it and investing in, say, a disc lock.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here is a good article on that.

-Ed

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
thanks i will try that tommorow
I dont know if this will work for you but worth a try, I broke a key off in the ignition on a bike(Honda) years ago, went to the Honda dealership and the guy in the service dept took a finish nail and hammer, flattened the end of the nail and then made a little hook end on it, fished the broken key right out, I've done it myself on a couple other bikes since.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You can also grind an old hacksaw blade down to a very thin ~ 1/8" x 1 1/2" and put a "barb" in it (like the gaffing hooks they use on large sea creatures). Slide it in hook side down above the broken piece and let the hook catch on the cuts of the key. Wiggle and pull until enough of the key is sticking out to grab with needle nose pliers. As long as it's unlocked- you're fine. If it's locked, use your spare key to unlock it and go to the closest available locksmith to have a duplicate made. If you don't have a spare, save the broken piece and see if they can clamp it up to make a duplicate. Good luck and be sure to post your results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
duh. Literal me.
i have actually removed a broken key with very thin piano wire with a slight hook in the end, slide it in and catch a notch in the key. One thing, though, I bet the lock probably could use lubrication first, so the key piece will slide out easily. It might have broken off partly because it’s dry.

·
Super Moderator
2,261 Posts
If the removal does not go as you hope. I did a write up of how to remove & replace the lock. You may have to do some searching to find the write up but I had pictures of the procedure.
Good luck - hope the broken piece comes out. I tried three lock smiths to try and make a key for mine with no success. If I recall it is a 5 tumbler under tension which gives the lock smiths lots of trouble.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Heat a glue stick and press it on to the lock. Let it cool. Heat again the loosen the grip to the lock and pull off. The key will come out with the stick.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Heat a glue stick and press it on to the lock. Let it cool. Heat again the loosen the grip to the lock and pull off. The key will come out with the stick.
That's an interesting approach to the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts