Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum but looking for some information, so I can built a speed twin. I want to build a Bonneville similar to a speed tripple. And want to know if any one has done similar. So I dont make the have the same problems. My plan is a Bonneville engine with the 902cc big bore, USD forks with alloy wheels and twin discs. at the rear will be a JMC alloy swing arm. d&d exhaust etc.
the handle bars would be fat renthals with digital clocks and a sprrd tripple screen and a single seat to finish. The info I realy need is can anybody reccomend some usd forks that will go on without to mutch problem. And which wheel is better 17" or 18" looking to fit wider rubber. I have looked at the CBR 600 f3 conversion and the SV 650, but realy fance the USD forks. Many thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That project sounds awesome. (I wonder if Hinckley is listening...though judging by the appearance of the 1600cc Thunderbird, they clearly are not.)

A front-end conversion I have seen for a Thruxton, an upside-down fork no less, utilizes the front end from a Buell Lightning. The Buell uses a significantly light wheel as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As sweat says, there is someone who's Tripleised his Bonnie. Personally, I don't like it. It's a retro, air-cooled engine with modern, funky bodywork on it; they just don't look good together. It is just my opinion but it's something you should perhaps consider.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
As sweat says, there is someone who's Tripleised his Bonnie. Personally, I don't like it. It's a retro, air-cooled engine with modern, funky bodywork on it; they just don't look good together. It is just my opinion but it's something you should perhaps consider.
ooh, I'm just the opposite, I saw that bonnie with the 675 front end and my pants got tighter.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Is it "Phil-1100" that has the red Bonnie with the twin headlights etc..?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I currently have a TT600 (Triumph NOT Yama) front end on my '01 Bonnie. I had a GSXR400R front end on it. Unfortunately, these are not USDs.
Usually, I have the tree stem modified and then use the trees, forks, brakes, wheel, rotors, spacers, axle, etc from the donor bike. In Japan it cost me +/-$150 to have the tree stem modified; here in HI it was $250. Now I'm working on putting an R6 front end on my Norton frame. I'm actually thinking about bearing cups versus modifying the stem but I have to find out how much the machine shop would want (I should have just bought a lathe years ago...)
Good luck!

·
Registered
427 Posts

When I first had it on the road April 07
And as it is now

Like it or loath it, it's still an on going project, I put a crappy Hyde large tank on for touring and am trying to purchase a Thruxton seat to cafe it a little - I like the best of all worlds
I am also setting up another engine with a six speed gearbox (which I think is a possible waste of time) and 1100cc motor

Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts