Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the British customs quick release screws, or i should say i had. I kept finding one of the screws to be loose every few days. I rode the bike for about 300 miles in the last couple of days. however when i got to my destination, i noticed one of the quick release screws had disappeared.

Ended up going to hardware store and replaced the quick release with some bolts as a temporary and going to put the stock screws back on the seat.

Has anyone else had this problem? And is this a problem with the quick release screws or just a general problem with seat screws. I thought in the past i had seen some posts of similar problem but can't find that post again.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought of that, but the seat has "plastic" frame so it would have to eat into the plastic for it to actually work wouldn't it? I would think that would make the problem worse over time.........

·
Registered
284 Posts
I found the exact same condition with my 02 Bonnie and wound up ordering another pair of quick tool-less seat bolts from NewBonneville.I have gotten in the habit of reaching around to check/adjust the screws while i ride!!! two times out of ten i have to tighten them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i really like having the quick release screws. i will put the stock screws back on tomorrow and see if they stay seated in place after 100 mile ride. Although i like the convenience, if the problem is specific to the quick release bolts, then i will just stick to stock screws.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i thought of that, but the seat has "plastic" frame so it would have to eat into the plastic for it to actually work wouldn't it? I would think that would make the problem worse over time.........
Do you have the flanged bushings installed in the plastic seat tabs? The bushings allow you to snub down on the screws and not have the plastic creep and relax torque on the screws.

Dick

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same problem and solved it by putting thick rubber washers on the threaded ends and snug the screws down tight . They havent worked loose yet. I carry a spare set in my seatbag anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Yeah you should have metal inserts for the plastic. They will always fall out if you don't have those inserts. Plastic expands and contracts so you will never get them tight enough. metal inserts and lock washers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have the flanged bushings installed in the plastic seat tabs? The bushings allow you to snub down on the screws and not have the plastic creep and relax torque on the screws.

Dick
I do not. I have to find the original screws, but were they used to install the stock screws?

·
Registered
539 Posts
The groovy chrome "quick release" screws were a cruel joke...sort of...one disappeared and the other became very loose (had I read the previous threads...oh well) and this after I thought I was on top of this stuff. Replaced with a pair of flat black BC extended but more subtle ones with (supplied!) lock washers, and they've stayed tight for many months.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I lost both my stock bolts to the Great Beyond on a few rides almost 2 years ago. I'm too cheap to pay that kind of money for a screw, so now I use my old cam cover bolts. I'm not a redneck, but find their ideology to be occasionally effective.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Most of the seats in fact do not come with those bushings, including all three of my seats, not a bushing among them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
One of my stock seat screws and the bushing (part #3) fell off so I got the quick release screws from newbonneville. Then the quick release that was missing a bushing fell out. I think this is a common problem. Bought some spare bushing, going back to the stock screws because I'm scared of losing the expensive quick release again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
So then I take it I am supposed to be using the stock bushings and lock Washers with the after market extended seat bolts?

Right now I just have 'em on there with the lock washers. But I do keep the OEM screws and bushings in the saddlebag just in case.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Just a dab of loctite on the end of the threads will keep them from vibrating loose and falling out on their own, but you can still turn them with your fingers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
+1 for blue Loctite, do use the standard gel seat on the T100, use the think it was aluminum as they are very light weight extended seat bolts knurled & allen head black & been on for >1 yr, can't remember if came from BC or NB but was one or the other, do use the sleeves that came with the original bolts

1 - 20 of 28 Posts