Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to ggRAT for his post on these way-cool seat pins I now have a solution for my stripped seat bolt receiver threads. The pins require a 1/4" hole so I did have to drill out the threads even on the good side, but it works for me.

About US$35 the pair if I recall correctly. Anyway it's under 40 clams.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Like that idea. I picked up the BC "thumb screws" which are great except that earlier this week one literally fell off. I'm just glad it didn't happen while riding...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I want to order a set of tjhose for my '02 Bonnie, but I only see them for Honda/Suzuki on the Sargent website. Is the part number uiniversal?

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to order a set of tjhose for my '02 Bonnie, but I only see them for Honda/Suzuki on the Sargent website. Is the part number uiniversal?
The ones pictured in my link will fit our seats but you will have to drill the frame holes (where the seat bolt threads are) to 1/4". It's easy as they're almost 1/4" now. Make sure you make the hole cleanly and don't over-cut the hole as this is what the small retainer uses to lock the pin.

FAST ACCESS Quick Release Pins
Single Pin Part # AC-2015-01 $18.50 / each
A Set of Two Part # AC-2015-02 $36.95 / pair

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
How much movement does the pins create? Its a "no go back!" once drilled.
Not neccessarily so. You can always helicoil the threads back to their original M6. This means drilling them out further, tapping them to M8 then inserting an M6 helicoil insert. I've used these many times and the good thing is that the thread is actually stronger than original since the inserts are much harder stainless steel.

http://www.emhartamericas.com/brands/heli-coil/automotive-aftermarket-products/thread-repair-kits

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
I was forced to switch to the Sargent pins because I'd stripped threads on one side, really glad I did. Mine came with a short piece of clear plastic tubing, you carefully figure out exactly where the washer needs to sit, then cut tube to fit behind it. I cut mine just a hair long, so I then push hard and compress it so the pin doesn't rattle. I still plan to safety wire the pins to the saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was forced to switch to the Sargent pins because I'd stripped threads on one side, really glad I did. Mine came with a short piece of clear plastic tubing, you carefully figure out exactly where the washer needs to sit, then cut tube to fit behind it. I cut mine just a hair long, so I then push hard and compress it so the pin doesn't rattle. I still plan to safety wire the pins to the saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
That's what I did too, Owen. In fact, the tubing was just about the right length as it came in the package. A bit long for a snugger fit.
The safety wire is a great idea as it will also make it a bit harder for someone to 'borrow' them. Let us know what you wire them to.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know where I can buy these pins in Aus?
I'm not sure they would work in Australia since the 1/4 inch holes would be upside down.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I'm not sure they would work in Australia since the 1/4 inch holes would be upside down.
Literally made me laugh out loud while waiting in line for Santa.

Thanks, I needed that this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
So glad I saw this! I just broke one of my British Custom aluminum seat bolts off. Was thinking about trying to save it. Now I'm going to get a set of these.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
+1. Just stripped my left side by over tightening. Going to follow ruger and 1/4" them both. Thanks folks-

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good one Ruger , bourbon shot out my nose !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Don't know what happened to my stock OEMs, but one day I'm pushing Mariah into the garage and the seat came off in my hand! Boy was I surprised.
Just ordered these guys from Sargent Cycle.
Thanks, Ruger!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I also had a set of chrome seat bolts dissapear...damn...solved with a lock washer on the next set and they do not get loose...ever.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know what happened to my stock OEMs, but one day I'm pushing Mariah into the garage and the seat came off in my hand! Boy was I surprised.
Just ordered these guys from Sargent Cycle.
Thanks, Ruger!
You are quite welcome my good man.
:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick Update:
I drilled out 2 small holes in the plastic rear seat tang receiver and am using plastic wire zip-ties to keep the pins from dropping or getting lost when the seat is off.
One of these days I will wire them properly with motorcycle safety wire.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I also had a set of chrome seat bolts dissapear...damn...solved with a lock washer on the next set and they do not get loose...ever.
:doublethumb

No kidding! :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts