Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I am on the search for a used Bonneville and there are not a ton in my area... Looking for any thoughts on a 2010 with about ~3k miles completely stock vs. a 2014 with ~7.5k miles with aftermarket seat and exhaust, it also appears to be missing side covers, however, it was well maintained . I am leaning towards the 2010 as I prefer to be the one doing the first mods but not sure how a 2010 SE stacks up against a 2014 T100. Any thoughts and or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
Hello and welcome.
They are both probably fine. The T100 is a model with some extra's. It will have spoke wheels instead of mag wheels. I believe the T100 is the larger front wheel over the SE. Both models are the same engine. T100 has the two tone paint more chrome and things like that. I think the SE has a little lower seat height.
Comes down to which bike you like the look and feel of and conditions of the two bikes. Both fine motorcycles that will give you great performance. I would probably go for the cleaner of the two and the one that I liked to look at the most.
I know that doesn't probably help you much - but it is your choice and they are both good ones.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2009 T100 and my wife has a 2014 mag wheel Bonneville, so I've ridden both, and I think you can't go wrong either way. The T100 has a 19" front wheel, that plus the spoke wheels and tubed tires make the steering heavier. It feels like a bigger bike in slow maneuvering. Once you get moving you don't notice it, but its not as flickable in the twisties. But its a nicer ride at speeds, IMHO, less twitchy, better over the bumps, holds a line easier. The T100 ergonomics are better for me, and I'm 5'10", while the standard Bonneville starts to feel cramped sooner, although the difference in bikes is not dramatic. And I prefer the looks of the T100, but the spokes require additional maintenance. If your bike won't be garaged, spokes may be more of an issue. The mag wheel Bonneville has a 17" front tire, no tubes, lower seat height, and as I said is easier at low speeds and in turns. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome SH77. Can you fill in your general location. Perhaps just the State. Will be helpful to the readers. You may find more effective help in locating the bike of your choice. Amazing how often it turns out to be a small world! :)

General suggestion for all posters on this forum.... Suggest a prerequisite for participation of this forum should be to include more detail on location, beyond country. State, County, or City if comfortable. Will be helpful to all posters and contributors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the info. I will need to get a good look at both bikes (assuming of course the people actually reply back to me, ha!). Over the years I have owned a bunch of dirt bikes, a couple sport bikes and a Harley softail. After ~20 years with nothing and grown kids it’s time. Hearing what “handles” best is good as I am looking for something for a quick ride to work etc. no real long rides to speak of...

Located in NH in anyone knows of anything near me.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Hey SH77!
I just did a broad search on Craigslist New Hampshire, clicking every box in the 'include nearby areas' option. I think you've found the two best deals in your area. I have a 2014 T100 and love it. The pictures I saw show the side covers on the bike (there's three photos in the listing).

I'm 6' 2" and weigh 200 lbs. I have ridden my Bonnevilles (had a 2012 T100 as well) long distances (500+ mile days) and find that they do the job well. I like the bench seat because it allows me to move around a lot and do my 'riding calisthenics' (stand on the pegs, stretch my hamstrings, flex my ankles, etc.) so I stay fresh and nimble.

The little windshield on the front of the 2014 doesn't feel much different from my 2012. I'm sure there's some air redirection happening but my height means I'm taking air to the chest unless I crouch all the way down. The best thing about the little windshield is it makes it easy to clean the clocks as bugs don't get in those crevices.

I've had about 35,000 trouble free miles on my two Bonnevilles. You can't go wrong with either bike. Just thought you'd want to hear about the 2014 I have. Good luck! Let us know which bike you get!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have an early 2010 Thruxton ( mechanical odometer ) I think ( not sure ) later model has canbus electrics so maybe marginally harder for some modifications . Later model has digital odo .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More good info as I am 6’1 about 190, so that’s good to know regarding fit etc.

Curious what you saw on CL, as I could only find a 2010 way up in ME...?? The ones I found were actually on FB Marketplace. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
4 years ago I couldn’t pass on a that time 6 year old (2010) T100 Black with only 3,115 miles. My first bike after not really riding for 20+ years. Love it - age doesn’t matter, nor do 7,500 miles on the younger one. Get the one you like better and slowly do your mods. Good luck 👍

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. I will need to get a good look at both bikes (assuming of course the people actually reply back to me, ha!). Over the years I have owned a bunch of dirt bikes, a couple sport bikes and a Harley softail. After ~20 years with nothing and grown kids it’s time. Hearing what “handles” best is good as I am looking for something for a quick ride to work etc. no real long rides to speak of...

Located in NH in anyone knows of anything near me.

Thanks again!
You can also check cycletrader.com in your search. Here's a 2015 T100 that might be of interest: 2015 Triumph BONNEVILLE T100, Antrim NH - - Cycletrader.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
More good info as I am 6’1 about 190, so that’s good to know regarding fit etc.

Curious what you saw on CL, as I could only find a 2010 way up in ME...?? The ones I found were actually on FB Marketplace. Thanks!
I did a search on 'Craigslist New Hampshire' and then marked every one of the 'check surrounding areas' boxes (about 30 in all). I recall seeing about 6-8 air cooled Bonnevilles among the 50 or so Triumph bikes that came up. I still think the 2014 you're looking at is the best deal listed.

I once bought a Triumph Trophy 1200 by flying to Nashville (from Minneapolis, my home) and riding it home. So I have no fear about buying a bike that's far from home. In my case, the seller answered all my questions, sent me a bunch of photos, provided copies of service records, etc. I was really set on getting a Trophy at the time and was really happy with the purchase. Good luck on yours!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the event anyone is interested, it’s a done deal. I gave the guy a deposit for the 2015 all black, 7k miles, very well taken care of. Seems like a decent amount of upgrades/extras, exhaust, seat, shocks and springs, bags (which will be for sale), cover plus all of the stock parts. Plus an hour away certainly didn’t hurt...

I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and input, thank you.

Now we just have to shake the ~20- degree weather.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats man! 👍 love the “Black” - like mine, just a bit younger and by now, a bit less miles, but the miles don’t matter, still barely broken in and you WILL love her!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts