Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at the Bonneville SE. First pictures received lots of negative posts.
I actually like the 17" mags [no tubes:)] / upswept exhaust & elegant paint work.

Have to wait til February to see bike & test ride - I'm 6' with monkey arms and legs so hopefully not too cramped.
If purchased will follow a long line of jap and euro singles and twins.

Curious if I'm alone in liking the 70's style.

Bob

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not completely alone. I like the bike as well. I probably slightly prefer the T100 styling because wire wheels look so right but I like the safety advantage of tubeless tires. since most companies don't seem to be able to pull it together to offer wires which can run tubeless cast is the next best thing. Easier to clean than spokes too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too like the 70's look and definetly like the wheels. Don't like the look of the new front brake rotor-too swirly. I wish those wheels would fit my T-Bird Sport. The blue and white scheme is cool too. No more ugly kink in the exhaust!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think it's cool. I wouldn't get one personally, as it's not quite as classic to me as the spoked Bonnie -- but I think it will fit some nicely.

I do NOT like the swirly front brake rotor either tho!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think it's cool. I wouldn't get one personally, as it's not quite as classic to me as the spoked Bonnie -- but I think it will fit some nicely.

I do NOT like the swirly front brake rotor either tho!
I like it quite a bit actually. I think its stunning in fact in both the blue and white and black. I may even get one...will see.
If you are anal, spoked wheels are hard to keep clean as well so another factor. I wish the bike had 80-90 hp and then it would be a slam dunk.
Cheers,
George

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Since they kept the T-100, I am all for the SE. I am 6'4" and my Bonnie is quite comfortable and I enjoy riding it. The SE is supposed to be a touch shorter in the seat height.

If my wife starts riding, she keeps promising to, I will get her a FI Bonnie since in her eyes there is only one bike.....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I too like the 70's look and definetly like the wheels. Don't like the look of the new front brake rotor-too swirly. I wish those wheels would fit my T-Bird Sport. The blue and white scheme is cool too. No more ugly kink in the exhaust!
I also like the new Bonneville and was planning on swapping my Bonneville for a new one. With regards to your remark about the ugly kink in the exhaust of the present one, have you seen a picture of the near side of the new one, you will find it seems to have an even worse kink in the exhaust on this side only. I phoned the factory to ask them about it, if it's going to come out like that I won't buy one, the chap at the factory said 'they are not certain yet how it is going to be'. I couldn't believe it when I saw the photo, why don't they leave it like it used to be on the original Meridan Bonneville's.

Plasma

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Refresh my memory:
It's just a new paint job, isn't it?

How far back does the current displacement and fuel injection go on that model?

Isn't the America the same thing with a little more style?

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
It's more than a new paint job. Go to the Triumph web site and compare the T100 (which is the former model) and the Bonneville to see the differences.

I like the height of the former model. I'm nearly 6 feet and 34-inch inseam. I don't care for the lowered height, the brake rotor, the cast wheels, the fatter pipes, and the brake fluid reservoir (urine cup). If I were buying one now, I'd definitely get a T100.

I'm glad that I have a 2005, although the EFI might be a good thing! :D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Since they kept the T-100, I am all for the SE. I am 6'4" and my Bonnie is quite comfortable and I enjoy riding it. The SE is supposed to be a touch shorter in the seat height.

If my wife starts riding, she keeps promising to, I will get her a FI Bonnie since in her eyes there is only one bike.....
Perhaps someone can weigh in with physical dimensions if known, but my belief is the riding position is as friendly on the new SE for taller riders in spite of a lower seat. How so? Because the relationship of top of seat to top of foot peg doesn't change between SE and T-100. I believe the slight top of seat to ground height reduction is due to the SE 17 inch versus 18 inch T-100 wheels and therefore transparent once riding with feet on pegs.
If somebody has information contrary to this, please post.
George

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you look at the 2008 bikes and the 2009 bikes on the web site, it looks like they have slightly changed the profile of the seat, too. This could be an optical illusion, though. This could change the distance between the seat and the pegs, however.

Does anyone know for sure if the seat is the same?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Seat height in relation to pegs for a taller rider = rider comfort. I'm about 6' 2". I switched foot pegs - left to right, etc. - and it is perfect. This manuever lowers and moves the pegs rearward about one half inch. It made a dramatic difference in comfort and cost nothing.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Seat height in relation to pegs for a taller rider = rider comfort. I'm about 6' 2". I switched foot pegs - left to right, etc. - and it is perfect. This manuever lowers and moves the pegs rearward about one half inch. It made a dramatic difference in comfort and cost nothing.
+1 Thanks for reporting your clever switching pegs from side to side trick.
Interesting. More room vertically and a a bit of rear set just by switching sides of pegs. I too am long legged.
Great tip!
George

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
+1 Thanks for reporting your clever switching pegs from side to side trick.
Interesting. More room vertically and a a bit of rear set just by switching sides of pegs. I too am long legged.
Great tip!
George
Really, give it a try, Biker7. The only drawback is the notch where the scraper nub rested [removed them] is visible, but I plugged the hole and it is not that noticable. And forget trying to get the rubber off for a flip - tried and is not possible.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I need to see the bike, sit on the bike, and ride the bike. Otherwise, all of these many astute observations are words, imagination and maybes. For me, see and touch and experience, this spring, are the lode stone. :)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
My dealer has a 09 Blue and white SE and it is a real nice little bike. They changed the hand controls and they look less beefy then what is on the 07,08 bikes.

The front wheel is alot smaller looking in real life then it is in the pictures and I would like to have seen a taller rim on the front but the rims themselves are gorgeous and the lip has a real nice high gloss polish on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi people. I hope this isn't OT but I just took delivery of a 2009 Bonnie - not an SE, but the main features are the same, just less bling.
I got it Friday evening and put on 400km / 250 miles over the weekend. The lowered seat height comes from the 17" front wheel AND the 1" shorter rear shocks - no-one has yet commented on this. I find that the shocks are seriously over-sprung and under-damped, even tho' I weigh 220 (100kg). This means on country backroads I got bounced out of the saddle, and the shock was not bottoming out, just super-stiff. Apart from that, I just love it. I don't care about the absence of spoked wheels and I don't care about EFI. So what! say I. When I bought my '64 Bonnie back in the day, people were still bitching about new-fangled unit construction, which meant they couldn't take the gearbox apart by the side of the highway, and alternator and coil ignition, which meant they couldn't take their magnetos apart by the side of the highway. Sheesh! Gimme a break! Get a life, people.

As my young (26yo) son said to me "Buy the bike that fills your heart with joy".

Dave Oakley
Cow Flat NSW
Aus.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Cavebob - to respond to your request for views....

Not my cup 'o tea. Too much black/blue (which in mho do not sit together as colours).

This is a 70's bike - ish - so it needs more colour, more pzzazz.

I am not suggesting a psychedelic makeover - but I am suggesting bright red and cream / light blue and cream / purple and cream?

The 70's as you will know was a bit of an odd decade. Hair was still worn long, rebellion was in the air, the rock bands were at their best, the politicians were as ever engaged in self-interest, we the people, hated them.

The SE needs to reflect that....

·
29,947 Posts
Well I know where you're coming from Sofiaspin, but if you look at the way bikes were styled / coloured then, the new Bonnie SE seems to reflect that. The 70's bikes were not all that lavish really - basic colours I think. That's my memory anyway. I don't think the rest of the seventies really enters into it.

I like the Bonnie SE for what it's worth - prefer my Bonnie black, but the SE is a nice bike. I am disappointed that they lowered the seat height 1", but that wouldn't put me off if I were in the market for one.

1 - 20 of 289 Posts