Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an OEM center stand on my 2015 mag wheel. I'm having two issues:

1) The spring has practically ZERO tension in it and the center stand drags on the ground. I found an older thread that suggested changing the spring for a higher tension one, I just ordered one and will try tomorrow. I think everything is installed properly but made a video of the install, does everything look right?
2) There is a moderate amount of play in the two main mounting brackets. Please see the video (towards the end I show the play in the mounts). Is this normal?

Here's the video:
Instructions I followed: https://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9758145-US.pdf

Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I wonder if you have the wrong center stand. Check that first.

Or you were provided with the wrong spring set, unlikely, I would think.

If everything else works out, and you've installed it correctly with all the parts, you might be able to take out the slop with some washers.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It does look different to my '01 version. The spring attaches to a different point and the curved plate looks bigger.
The spring actually crosses forward of the right leg when up on the stand

·
Registered
148 Posts
For reference, here's the ctr stand from my 2010 Bonnie SE. It was still in factory packaging and included all parts except the longer footpeg spikes. The spring tension is less than some of my other bikes, but not to the point where it flops down or drags.

I don't notice any side-to-side play.

and here is the mounting

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input all. I replaced the spring with a much beefier one and it now works like a dream. Very strange that it has all that play without the spring and then none with it, bu that's how it is.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Did you make the replacement two springs like the original? Apparently that's a safety feature against a broken spring, although that assumes that one spring can hold it high enough.

I guess that the spring is pulling the stand to one side so the play "disappears"? Which is fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a very good point Balto. I did not.. it's just one beefy spring. It would have to be a pretty specific situation to present a safety risk... like if it snapped while hitting a bump that lifted the rear tire and had the stand fully open vertically when landing. Anything other than that it seems it would just drag and I'd hear it and stop.

Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's a very good point Balto. I did not.. it's just one beefy spring. It would have to be a pretty specific situation to present a safety risk... like if it snapped while hitting a bump that lifted the rear tire and had the stand fully open vertically when landing. Anything other than that it seems it would just drag and I'd hear it and stop.

Thoughts on this?
While you seem to have treated the symptom you have not cured the disease.

I would want to know if I had the correct stand.

I would want the correct double spring to work.

But that's just me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts