Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, are those just some kind of dummy carbs on the new Bonneville? I read it was supposed to have fuel injection.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Those are fuel injection units made to resemble carbs

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Fake

I was looking at one on the dealers floor this past weekend. Get about 10 feet away, it looks real. Get up close and you see that all the bits and pieces are fake as can be. The "bolts" and "screws" are all just cast right into it, as one piece. I'm guessing that the fuel injection is some kind of throttle body unit, similar to what used to be on Chevys back in the 80's and 90's (and maybe still) - just squirts the fuel into the intake as the air rushes by....

·
29,948 Posts
I think it's a bit better throttle body than that, it's merely shaped to give the appearance of a carb for the sake of the bike. It's one of those perception things, some like it some don't. I think it suits the bike and looks right, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
EFI was mandated.
The system works well by all accounts.
Triumphhad a choice - make the EFI look like fuel injection or Carbs.
They chose carbs to match the theme of the bike.
So faux rather than fake:rolleyes:
the bike was designed for carbs, and to keep the integrity of the design have gone with throttle bodies that look like carbs.
If you want to read a thread about "fake" carbs then do a search - it's in this forum.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Might have been nice if they had gone the whole hog and made the throttle bodies look (but not behave) like a pair of Amals!

·
Registered
493 Posts
PAAS is right on the spot there. I've never been too keen on the looks of the Keihin carbs. The AMAL look would be cool.... but hey... maybe they will change one of these days... it could happen. If you're going to mask EFI to look like a carb... why not do it with class and style?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts