Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings to all!

I've owned nine bikes to date: 1983 Honda CX650C, '86 H-D Sportster 883, '88 H-D XLH 1200, '95 H-D XLH 1200, '86 Magna VF700, '00 Buell S3 Thunderbolt, '02 Yamaha V-Max, '98 H-D XL1200S, and '08 H-D FXDL Dyna Low Rider.

Variety is interesting so tenth bike will be a 2009-11 Bonneville SE. Triumph representative told me that with the exception of paint, the bikes of this year range are the same so will buy one of the three.

I've joined this forum to get good advice as to upgrades and ongoing issues with the model.

One web site suggested the following: Memphis Shades Hell Cat windshield, Wolfman Summit saddlebags, and YSS shocks.

Also am considering an O-ring chain and especially a 2 into 1 Arrow exhaust but consider $1100 price for weight reduction and louder sound, ridiculous. There has to be a better alternative, like Zard 2 into 1 for instance. Installed $400 Hooker 2 into 1 pipes on my '98 XL 1200S and got real horsepower gain not to mention a lot of nice chrome.

Anyway, nice to be here.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Welcome ...you can look at all the forums to find the information you are looking for. again welcome to the site.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sportsters vs Bonneville

i too have had a rash of Sportsters. 15 to be exact. Finally bought a 09 left over Bonneville. It is a way better all around bike than the Sportster. I think you'll love it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thing is, there are a rash of Sportsters available for sale - around here at least, but few '09-'11 Bonnevilles priced right and worth buying. And it seems everyone can work on H-Ds but only a few on Triumphs. Don't want to be at the mercy of only one shop.

This all makes sense considering market penetration, though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found a used, 2010 Bonneville SE but it lives in GA and need to have it shipped to WI. Any shipper recommendations?

Seller recommended DAS Dependable Auto Shippers. Also found a site called uShip but then googled complaints and found many.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Unless your getting it for a insane price, you may want to consider a new one locally and pocket the shipping. As far as servicing goes, the 500 mile service has to be done at the dealer and they don't require another one until 12k and the oil changes between them you should be able to do yourself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A Local dealer wants $8300 for a stock 2011 Blue/White SE. Will probably see if he'll take $8000.

Seller of used 2010 SE with 2000 miles in GA of wants $7000 but it has extras (seat, bags, windshield, handlebar mirrors). Will probably offer $6000 because DAS wants $600 to ship. Wouldn't $6600 be an insane price?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
A Local dealer wants $8300 for a stock 2011 Blue/White SE. Will probably see if he'll take $8000.

Seller of used 2010 SE with 2000 miles in GA of wants $7000 but it has extras (seat, bags, windshield, handlebar mirrors). Will probably offer $6000 because DAS wants $600 to ship. Wouldn't $6600 be an insane price?
2000 miles is nothing. Has the 500 mile service been done on it? If not, the bike may be practically worthless, otherwise if you can get it for 6k, jump on it like a rabid pitbull during mating season.

Here the bonnies move quickly so your not likely to get wiggle room on the price. When I picked up mine I was at the tail end of the free goodies promotion (seat, grab rail centerstand) and had Triumph's thank a hero program (about $325 cash back which should be on it's way).

·
Registered
516 Posts
Daily Direct

Pull up Daily Direct. I've used them and their service is excellent. Would cost you more to go after the bike and with them its delivered right to your door.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pull up Daily Direct. I've used them and their service is excellent.
Thanks for recommendation. Google Daily Direct/HaulBikes.com complaints and it appears you lucked-out when you used them. Seems unkept promises and outright lying is rampant in the vehicle hauling industry. Makes me lean toward just buying new from a local dealer just to avoid delivery uncertainty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2000 miles is nothing. Has the 500 mile service been done on it? If not, the bike may be practically worthless, otherwise if you can get it for 6k, jump on it like a rabid pitbull during mating season.
Seller mentioned 600 mile service was performed.

Prefer Black SE like in your avatar but can't find one at a reasonable price, and now (in season) is probably not the best time to buy. Waiting until fall may be best but that's lost riding time. Suppose could even post WTB: in this forum.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Daily Direct

I used them in 1999 having a Buell Blast delivered from Colorado. They pulled up with a huge truck with bikes on individual skids all operated by hydraulics. I haven't used them since. That was a long time ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turns out seller wanted more - too much more - for used Blue/White 2010, and learned bike was dropped so passed on it. Wanted Black anyway.

Have found that 2011 Black SE's are difficult to impossible to find even for dealers whereas Blue/White and Black/Orange are comparatively plentiful and cheaper despite having a higher MSRP. Go figure. Guess everyone wants a Black bike so it's become a matter of supply and demand.

To make a long story short, bought 2011 Black SE from a local dealer who got it from an out-of-state dealer and will take delivery next week. Glad to have become part of the Triumph family. Bye, H-D.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Turns out seller wanted more - too much more - for used Blue/White 2010, and learned bike was dropped so passed on it. Wanted Black anyway.

Have found that 2011 Black SE's are difficult to impossible to find even for dealers whereas Blue/White and Black/Orange are comparatively plentiful and cheaper despite having a higher MSRP. Go figure. Guess everyone wants a Black bike so it's become a matter of supply and demand.

To make a long story short, bought 2011 Black SE from a local dealer who got it from an out-of-state dealer and will take delivery next week. Glad to have become part of the Triumph family. Bye, H-D.
Simply Wow and congrats! I purchased mine a bit over a week ago and it was a leftover 2010. I so wanted a 2 tone one, but this one was available and with the freebies (seat, centerstand and grab rail) I couldn't refuse and I'm glad I didn't. I can do so much with simply a black bike!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your point about being able to do a lot more with a simple black-colored bike is crucial. That never really occurred to me until now. Chrome accents especially are more offset. And there's no color better looking on a clean vehicle.

Besides, down the road should be easier (gulp!) to sell.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
One thing I didn't think about is I have/had 2 bikes. The bike the Bonnie replaced is blue and my other bike is a bone white. I had color coordinating gear for both bikes (I'm a graphic artist by profession so color matching is important to me) and I can wear the blue gear or the off white/black gear. When the cold weather comes, the same bomber jacket will go with both bikes.

I'm looking into Rizoma items and they have quite a bit of stuff in brushed aluminum which will look wonderful with the bonnie. Sort of give her a modern-ish cafe look.

Can't wait to get underway to post pictures!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe you should've bought a Thruxton.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have put around 100 miles on the 2011 SE now and have noticed a starter issue.

At least a couple of times, the starter cranked only once (after pressing the starter button) but then quit even though the starter button was still pressed. Backed-off the button then pressed it again only to have the engine start normally.

Is this normal behavior in that all Bonnevilles do this - just one of quirks the dealer talked about, or should I alert the dealer about it? It's odd enough that the clutch has to be engaged for it to start at all.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
At least a couple of times, the starter cranked only once (after pressing the starter button) but then quit even though the starter button was still pressed. Backed-off the button then pressed it again only to have the engine start normally.
It signals either a worn, discharged or loosely connected battery. In your case discharged would be my guess. These bikes are very finicky about the state of charge of their batteries. There are literally hundreds of threads here about it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Maybe you should've bought a Thruxton.
I passionately LOVE the look of the Thruxton, but loath the hunched over riding position. I want the look of cafe, but not the pain.

Have put around 100 miles on the 2011 SE now and have noticed a starter issue.

Is this normal behavior in that all Bonnevilles do this - just one of quirks the dealer talked about, or should I alert the dealer about it? It's odd enough that the clutch has to be engaged for it to start at all.

Thanks.
Never had this happen. As Forchetto mentioned it could be a state of charge. The first thing I did to my bonnie was install the Battery tender pigtails so I made sure my terminals were tight and I have the battery tender and alternate them on my bikes so the battery on both bikes are always pretty much at their peak.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts