Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I'm moving down to Senegal for about a year and would really like to take my 2007 Bonne black with me. The route is (France - Spain - Morocco - Western Sahara - Mauritania - Senegal). Obviously this is not an off-road bike, nor is the tank big enough to get me from one town to the next in Western Sahara or Mauritania.

What are the main things I need to worry about for a 3500 mile road trip of this kind as well as maintaining a bonneville in Dakar? Can the bike handle the trip? I believe it is concrete the whole way down, but it's hot, it's dusty. Are there bigger gas tanks I could put on a bonne boosting it to 25 gallons? What else (except thieves and security) do I need to worry about for a road trip of this kind. Any tips much appreciated.

Sam

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good luck!

First watch "The long way down" by Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman then Charley Boorman's Dakar rally DVD! They went from John O'Groats to Capetown (nearly 15K miles). HIGHLY recommended.
You going solo? Ever been to Africa before? Do your homework - put your nice Bonnie in the garage for a year and buy a BMW GS cos you'll need that big tank! You will destroy the Bonnie on those roads & conditions IMHO!
And I'm jealous because after watching both the Long Way Round and the Long Way Down I would love to do something like that but not on my Thruxton!:D

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
First watch "The long way down" by Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman then Charley Boorman's Dakar rally DVD! They went from John O'Groats to Capetown (nearly 15K miles). HIGHLY recommended.
You going solo? Ever been to Africa before? Do your homework - put your nice Bonnie in the garage for a year and buy a BMW GS cos you'll need that big tank! You will destroy the Bonnie on those roads & conditions IMHO!
And I'm jealous because after watching both the Long Way Round and the Long Way Down I would love to do something like that but not on my Thruxton!:D
I wouldn't get all carried away with the GS if I were you. Don't forget that the boys didn't go it alone, or even carry their own luggage and spares.

Cast your eye over this travelogue before believing the GS hype. Personally, I'd choose a Tiger like those used on Poor Circulation.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I wouldn't get all carried away with the GS if I were you. Don't forget that the boys didn't go it alone, or even carry their own luggage and spares.

Cast your eye over this travelogue before believing the GS hype. Personally, I'd choose a Tiger like those used on Poor Circulation.
The point I'm trying to make is that
a) a Bonneville is not suitable for a trip like this whereas a GS is more suitable but I didn't say the best
b) I know they had a huge support crew with them which is why I asked if it was a solo trip
c) Having driven and lived in Africa it's no joke - roads are crap, if not non-existent in a lot of places & it is a dangerous place to be on your own especially W. Africa.
On a personal level they are some of the nicest (and poorest) people you're ever likely to meet but there are exceptions to every rule.
My advice is do your homework, don't go alone and if you really like your bike don't go on the Bonnie!
Just my opinions for what they're worth.

·
Registered
59 Posts
trip to Africa

sammcmeekin GO FOR IT!
I believe Bonnie is a perfect touring bike.You have modern engineering and reliability plenty of power and low center of gravity.A big twin is always the perfect touring machine.Be prepared right -I aggre with Triton750 about not going alone in a such unknown and remote places...Have common sense.Scramblerise a litlle your Bonnie i would go for -an undertray protector( you can borrow one from Scrambler parts or Triumph accesories)-a center stand-a good set of paniers-engine bars -a spare set of wheel tubes-a spare tyre-some cables for throtle -and clutch-extra gas tank some basic tools /Water/Map/visa .......and GO!!!!!!!!!!!

i remeber only fantastic moments on some of my early moto trips.Dont worry to much..be cool..I was in 1986 travel an all around Hellas trip(about 5000 kms on 15 days summer holiday with my girlfriend on a hardtailed 1937 BSA M20!-
I was driver in a North to South Morroco trip at 1992 6000Kms over Atlas mountains with 3 friends-(in a 1980s Renault 19 Caravan) the only visible change at motor was an oversised air filter.So i beleived a similar thing to Bonie air filter would be very usefull

Do the trip
the Bonnie will go and return just perfect.
Enjoy it and good luck!
i will like some fotos from your journey!

Just some thoughts from me

Eugene B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts