Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there I was, riding home from the All British Rally at Newstead Victoria, what a weekend ! thousands of old Brit bikes everywhere you looked. Triumphs, BSA's, Ariels, Nortons, Vincents, Velocettes etc etc.
A very well organised rally for the traditional motorcyclist.
So anyway I spot a gaggle of riders up ahead & move up & tag onto the back their little freight train & I'm following a nice metallic blue Norton Commando with scrambler pipes on the left. They were poking along a bit & the old Bonny is humming away at 4500-5000 rpm just getting into it's stride, sun shining etc etc, well you all know that story.

Next thing I see is what looked like a large 6 foot blacksnake come flying out from under the Norton:D I get a bit closer & it's even wriggling like a snake, but no, it was just the rear chain so I reached down & grabbed it & returned it to its owner. So this bloke is now stranded hours from home, broken chain & no joining link. Years ago (like many others) I had the habit of putting joining links on my leather jacket zipper tags & still do. I also had a chain link pin extractor handy as some link pins were rusted solid & managed to partly push then bash the bad pins out with a hammer & punch & then with a bit of fencing wire we managed to re thread the chain onto the gearbox sprocket & this bloke is mobile again.

Now, a lot of dudes have pointed to my joining links & laughed & suggested I must be the "missing link" (yeah, hilarious) , but I reckon he who laughs last laughs best & they better not break chains on any of my rides or I'll be in hysterics. Just remember......if possible, always carry a joining link !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well there I was, riding home from the All British Rally at Newstead Victoria, what a weekend ! thousands of old Brit bikes everywhere you looked. Triumphs, BSA's, Ariels, Nortons, Vincents, Velocettes etc etc.
A very well organised rally for the traditional motorcyclist.
So anyway I spot a gaggle of riders up ahead & move up & tag onto the back their little freight train & I'm following a nice metallic blue Norton Commando with scrambler pipes on the left. They were poking along a bit & the old Bonny is humming away at 4500-5000 rpm just getting into it's stride, sun shining etc etc, well you all know that story.

Next thing I see is what looked like a large 6 foot blacksnake come flying out from under the Norton:D I get a bit closer & it's even Towriggling like a snake, but no, it was just the rear chain so I reached down & grabbed it & returned it to its owner. So this bloke is now stranded hours from home, broken chain & no joining link. Years ago (like many others) I had the habit of putting joining links on my leather jacket zipper tags & still do. I also had a chain link pin extractor handy as some link pins were rusted solid & managed to partly push then bash the bad pins out with a hammer & punch & then with a bit of fencing wire we managed to re thread the chain onto the gearbox sprocket & this bloke is mobile again.

Now, a lot of dudes have pointed to my joining links & laughed & suggested I must be the "missing link" (yeah, hilarious) , but I reckon he who laughs last laughs best & they better not break chains on any of my rides or I'll be in hysterics. Just remember......if possible, always carry a joining link !!
Thank to you the norton got home . good job Charlie we need more of your kind out there .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts