Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Bonneville Reliability?

67K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  Bad Aim 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2011 Bonneville SE locally from a young widower that only put 488 miles on the bike. So the bike was basically brand new when I took ownership. So far I've only put on 300 miles and have loved every one of them. Unfortunately, the bike developed a bad miss and I had to trailer it up to the dealership (Hoping to get final diagnosis after the dealer calls Triumph on Monday for authorization). Between this and the annoying fuel pump squeal, I am wondering about the long term reliability of the Bonnie. The bike is soon to be my primary vehicle (at least for the fall/winter) and I looking to get some thoughts on other experiences. The nearest dealer is 50 miles away and a pain to get to given my work schedule. I know stuff happens I am just starting to wonder if I need to rethink my transportation plans.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Over 38,000 miles in 17 months, and I've had only one issue with my 2010 T-100. The taillight bulb. Other than that, just normal wear parts like tires, brake pads, and chain/sprocket.

You may want to get your fuel pump checked out though, as mine only squeals when I'm starting it for the first time after I've had the tank off. Normally, it is a barely audible hum, and only then for a few seconds when you turn on the key.

#3 ·
I wouldn't be too worried about long-term reliability. Misfires can develop in any vehicle. Many here have serious mileage on their Bonnies and very few serious problems have come up.

#4 · (Edited)
I have over 54,000 miles on my 2010 T100 and it has been very reliable. Here are the exceptions:

Two headlights and one tail light bulb burned out.

Water that got under the oil pressure switch boot -- behind the cylinders -- after 200 miles of heavy rain riding. This caused the switch to show low oil pressure when it was really fine. I pulled the boot and sprayed it with WD-40. That cured the issue.

Twice, while riding all day in rain on a recent trip, I began loosing power and the bike ran ragged on long climbs. Pulling off the road "fixed" the issue the first time. The second time, I got off the road and noted water around the left spark plug boot. I pulled the boots, borrowed some WD-40 from some guys who happened to be working in the parking lot and was on my way again. I just did a big tune-up on the Bonnie and put a little silicon grease on the new plugs before slipping the boots on so this should not happen again and I should have done this before anyway. So my fault.

One flat rear tire -- nail. Pulled into a parking lot, patched the tube and got back on the road.

The crank position sensor went out. This happened at Crater Lake National Park and caused a real inconvenience, but we paid a kid to take us in his pickup to Medford, OR where Hansen's Motors sells Triumph. In the morning, they hooked the computer up, found the issue, called Triumph, and, even though I was past warranty, Triumph shipped a new sensor overnight and we were on our way by 2:30 the next afternoon.

Three rain riding issues that were easy for me to diagnose, a flat tire that was my fault for hitting the nail in the first place, bulbs burn out for everyone, and the sensor should have lasted 40 years and is probably a generic part that you might find in any modern engine.

There are bikes that slip out and have or develop real issues, but most issues can mess up your day only if you give up on figuring out what the issue really is. Modern motorcycles are pretty reliable and Bonnevilles are probably as reliable as most of the others. The issue you have now will probably not turn out to be much and I would sure try to find out what they find so you can deal with it yourself if it happens again.

Regards, Chuck

#7 ·
Just teething problems due to lack of use maybe?
My dealer warned me about proper break in. Said if I rode too gentle the rings wouldn't seat and the break in would be botched (he said the cure was riding it like a banshee to fix it).

Could be the PO was far too gentle. I say give it hell and you'll love it.

#12 ·
Thanks for all of the replies, I am very encouraged. I really can't say much about the how it was ridden the first 488. It ran strong and smooth and then without warning it was not rideable. The dealer tech wouldn't even take it out of the parking lot. I'll keep everyone posted on the diagnosis and outcome.

#15 ·
Update

Just to give everyone an update....The problem was diagnosed as a bad fuel pump. Since I was experiencing the prime squeal at startup, this may kill two birds with one stone :D The dealer is now just waiting for the part, hoping to be back on the road soon.

#18 ·
2011 t100

2011 T100 one year, one month and 10,300 miles on stock tires. I have had no issues as far as anything going out or it not running right. It is just now feeling like it has loosened up from break in. I have ridden it to work mostly and every now and then give it heck on takeoff, its fast when you push it.

I'm looking for tires because I have worn out both the front and rear. Took it back to the dealer for the 500 mile, 6000 mile service. I have been lubing and setting the tension on the chain and keep the tire pressure up. Other than that just ride it and every now and then put a little gas in.

The only thing I had as a problem was the headlight did not want to stay adjusted, it would creep up and point into the sky as you went down the road. I made some rubber washers that are still in place to keep it where I want it.

Good luck with yours, it sounds like the dealer found the problem.

#20 ·
Whilst I can't speak to the fuelie aspect, my "old" '07 has been ridiculously reliable, the only niggle, and a very minor one, was the cam cover weep cited and addressed by myself (and added some bling at the same time).

It has easily been among the best of the twenty or so bikes I have owned. I like working on them...considered breaking it now and then so I would have something to do. Thought better of it and went through a string of ratty bikes that needed some help. :cool:

#21 ·
3700 miles in 9 months. Not too many because I have 2 other bikes which take up my riding time also.
The only problems have been ones that I've done to it myself mixing up tail light wires and blowing fuses.
I also try to hit the rev limiter whenever I can, don't want it getting used to a pampered life.:)

#23 ·
16000 miles and stone reliable so far...Had the cam cover weep and fixed by installing copper crush washers with a dab of black hi temp silicone under the head of the holdown bolts, when I did the valve check. I also have the noisy- first start in the morning- fuel pump noise.... No other issues and still loving it!..

#24 ·
2nd update

Just got off the phone with the dealer. They swapped out the fuel pump and while the issue initially seemed to have been fixed it returned in short order. For some reason the bike seems to be loosing fuel pressure. Apparently they are trying to trace the issue, but are kinda scratching their heads right now. :(

#28 · (Edited)
Great!...is the squealing gone?. It would be interesting to know if the squeal is definitely caused by that component, lots of people complain about it.

The thing is that the regulator, part T1241093, costs £43+tax and yet the "O" ring, part T3600098, that seals it against the pump plate assembly is just £1.21 and it's just as likely to be the culprit in losing pressure.

#32 ·
2011 T100 with 4K miles just purchased last week. Sitting dead in the garage waiting for a dealer appointment. I am guessing it is the Crank position sensor, TPS, or CAN wires but do not know yet.

Other than that is has been dead reliable for the 400 miles I put on it. :grin2:

#33 ·
2011 T100 with 4K miles just purchased last week. Sitting dead in the garage waiting for a dealer appointment. I am guessing it is the Crank position sensor, TPS, or CAN wires but do not know yet.

Other than that is has been dead reliable for the 400 miles I put on it. :grin2:

Make sure the battery is properly charged, if the original battery is still in the bike, I'd put my money on that..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.