Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently getting ready to part my 1998 T595 Daytona and am considering what my next bike should be. The Bonneville is currently heading my list of possible bikes. I really like the look and was pleased with the test ride I took a few years ago. I have a few questions. What type of mpg are you getting. How is it as a every day ride year round? I ride down to around 35-40 degrees.
Thanks
Chad Hinton

·
Registered
246 Posts
I recently( Last March ) got rid of my 955I S3 for an 08 America , although I miss the torq and the extra added power I dont regret getting rid of it .I just got 149 miles on a a tank of gas ( 4.3 gals ) I ride America all year round including a trip to the mountains and a stroll through the Dragon

·
Registered
306 Posts
mileage and temps

Hello,

I have an '06 Bonnie with the 790cc. It has the AI removed and TORS but is otherwise pretty stock. I get an average of about 45mpg on my '06. That is 80mph interstate , poking around town, or firing it up through the twisties and back country roads. Before ethanol and with much more moderate riding I was getting better than 50mpg.

As far as the temperature, unless you have some really good winter gear, the bike will probably take colder temperatures than you will want to ride in. I know that mine will. I can start mine up with the temp at freezing without any problems. It takes a few more minutes to warm up but that is the only difference that I have seen. I don't have much in the way of winter gear so I don't ride much into the lowers 40's.

Pops

·
Registered
62 Posts
my milage

My Scrambler has gotten a best of 50 mpg and a low of about 42 (2 up and a head wind), so I think the Bonnie and it's derivatives get excellent mileage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sound like the mpg is a little better than my daytona (40-41mpg) but not as high as I would have thought. I was hoping for 50mpg and better. For winter riding I would think that I would need to add some type of windshield. I have heated gear. Are there any heated grips availabe for the bonnie? I now there are universal ones as that is what I use on the daytona but would prefer something designed for the bike as the wireing is usually hid better.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Bonne

Best=55 Worst= 32 Ethanol takes abite outa MPG!! Id sAY AVG 42-45 thats w/ getting on her a bit- ya cant help it!.IF ya get a Bonne- you will never want to part w/ it thats for sure!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2005 T100 with AI removed (that should make no difference though) and a baffelectomy (that should make no difference either). I was getting about 44 to 46 MPG but it was showing some signs of running slightly lean with wide open throttle. So I changed the original 110 main jets to 112.5s. It dropped about 1 MPG when I did that so I'm ranging from 43 to 45 MPG now depending on how I ride. I would have LIKED to get 50 MPG but I can only come close to that when I ride very easily. (Like a good long run at 60 miles per hour on the highway) I have trouble doing that so I have to be satisfied with a bit less MPG.

Regarding year round performance and down to 35°F... you may read a number of posts saying that the Bonneville is by nature hard to start in cold weather. I have not experienced that in the slightest. We bought my son a 2007 T100 too (which has TORS and 115 mains) and it starts right up down to 30°F just like mine. At 25°F or lower it may take a few tries to keep it running.

Good luck... you would love a Bonnie I'm sure :) but it depends on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Get A Bonnie!!!

45 mpg. Average.
But as we all know, this ain't no scooter.
Depends on how you ride.
I ride down to about 35-40mph as well, but get pretty miserable on longer rides at those temps.

Get one. You'll love it just about as much as you'll love the compliments you get on your classic taste and classy personality.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well 45mpg is still way better than my truck. My criteria in my next bike is; comfort, good mpg, able to ride 2up and carry luggage at the same time, and able to ride year round. The other bike I have been thinking about is a BMW F800GS but it is more expensive and just a little to tall for me.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Well 45mpg is still way better than my truck. My criteria in my next bike is; comfort, good mpg, able to ride 2up and carry luggage at the same time, and able to ride year round. The other bike I have been thinking about is a BMW F800GS but it is more expensive and just a little to tall for me.
Thanks for the info.
The BMW is WAY more expensive, and not even half as pretty...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I got better milage out of my 02 955i Sprint than either of my (790 & 865) Bonnies. It was also alot nicer on cold days with the fairing and heated grips, but it just lacked character.
:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What type of mpg did you get on the sprint? I test rode a sprint and I did not think it was any more comfortable than my Daytona with bar risers. My next bike needs to have a very upright seating position.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Depending on riding style of course the Sprint was about 5.5-6 l/ 100km and the Bonnies use about 6-6.5 l/ 100 km.Not sure what that converts to but its not a big differance. I found the Sprint very top heavy compared to Jap. bikes and the Bonnies and the one time I rode a 955i Daytona that was worse. The Bonnie just seems a lot easier to throw around and happier to sit on 120 km/h so less likleyhood of loosing your licence.
;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 gallon = 3.78 L
1mile = 1.61 Km

So I get Sprint 39.07 to 42.61 and Bonnie 36.07 to 39.07 in mpg. So you were getting very close to my 40-41mpg for my daytona on you sprint and accually getting worse for the bonnie. I though the sprint was getting even higher than to range already mention for the bonnie.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Best= 56mpg
Worst= 40mpg

With a windshield and good riding gear, you can ride it in temps below 32F with no problem. I do it all the time. My Bonnie is slow to wake up when it is cold, wanting to crank about 6 times before firing up; but once underway, it runs quite nicely in cold temps. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The Bonnie is a stylish all-arounder and I think you will really like it. In my opinion, it excels as a city bike and country lane burner, like a good roadster should. But it can be a fun light weight, medium range touring bike with the right accessories.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts