Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Thinking of new Bonneville purchase...can someone give me an idea of what the maintenance involves, i.e. frequency and cost?

thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
All the maintenance can be done by you, this is an easy bike to work on. Oil and filter change the first 500 break in miles then every 6000 miles or 1 year after that. Lube chain every 500 mi, check air in tires once a week, adjust clutch cable once and awhile. The only thing you might need help with ( I don't know you ) is valve adjustment at 12000 mi.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello paoloc,
Any of the Bonneville series of bike is a good choice; a lot of bang for the buck. The maintenance is at 6000 mile intervals along with an initial 500 mile service to drain the break-in oil. When you negotiate the price try to get a factory service manual with the new bike or buy one for about $85.00USD. Most of the service is easy enough to do yourself, you save money and know that a motivated individual did the work. You could always let the dealer do the stuff that you don't feel comfortable with, even there, the manual makes you an informed customer. Good Luck.-----James.

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
What you save on one or two dealer "services" will pay for any tools you might need for the basic service: Metric wrench set, metric socket and ratchet set, extensions, some extra sockets and wrenches (19, 22, 24mm, spark plug), metric Allen sockets, metric torx sockets, a screwdriver handle with all the relevant bits, and two torque wrenches, or at least the smaller torque wrench to start.

I'll second what the others said: If you're at all mechanically handy, you can do it yourself up to the 12,000 mile service. Buy both available manuals, consider them part of your tool set.

Oil change interval after the first one is 6000 miles, but most change it annually if we ride less than that. The bike prefers synthetic oil, if you buy the best it'll cost about $50 for oil, plus filter, but there are some less expensive alternatives.

There isn't much else to spend on the service, up to 12,000 miles. An occasional oil filter--the automotive filters are fine--and an occasional air filter.

A Battery Tender is a good idea, but it's not really a service cost.

·
Registered
866 Posts
i have very little experience working on bikes. but these things are pretty straightforward.
Service manual
Socket set (METRIC)
Allen wrench set
other basic hand tools
TORQUE WRENCHES!
Off you go.
Most things are easy to get to. It's easier to do basic things on this bike than it was on my KLR, which has a reputation for ease of maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts