Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the twins ever come with a light switch? I would like to fit one, and it looks like there is a blanked off switch on the left side cluster.

That is unusual because lighting switches are always on the right on other bikes, and I thought it was a legal requirement that all bikes have controls in the same position.The workshop manual shows diagrams for bikes with and without lighting switches.

If I can confirm that they were fitted at some point, and if it was on the left, I will know what to look for. TIA.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My 2002 T100 has a blanked off spot on the RIGHT control. I believe the Euro bikes had/have a flash-to-pass button there.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the flasher switch, but there is another blanked off switch on the left. It would make more sense if the light switch was on the right.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
All the bikes I can remember had the light swich on the left, maybe its something to do with being on the bottom of the world?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 03 has the lighting switch on the right (off/parking/main lights) between the start button and the engine on/off switch.

The left cluster has the low beam/high beam switch on the top.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think read somewhere that Scramblers had two turn signal switches. I wouldnt mind that since I have a hard time pulling it to go left with my hand squeezing the clutch.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 03 has the lighting switch on the right (off/parking/main lights) between the start button and the engine on/off switch.
Excellent! that's what I wanted to confirm, that there were Bonnies produced with lighting switches. I just have to find a switch unit now (pre-2004?)

cheers, Tom

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
I think read somewhere that Scramblers had two turn signal switches. I wouldnt mind that since I have a hard time pulling it to go left with my hand squeezing the clutch.
Afraid we just have normal switches on the Scrambler. BMWs have very bizarre turn signal switches though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
From the top

Cruise control
Info button to access the on-board computer and the hazard warning lights
Electronic suspension control and electric windshield
Standard indicators switch
Horn

Thank goodness that BMW are starting to move away from left indicators on left-hand bar, right indicators on right-hand bar, cancel button on right-hand bar, or that switch cluster would be seriously full! :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dear God, when do you have time to ride on that bike? Where's the button to engage warp-drive?:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
From the top

Cruise control
Info button to access the on-board computer and the hazard warning lights
Electronic suspension control and electric windshield
Standard indicators switch
Horn

Thank goodness that BMW are starting to move away from left indicators on left-hand bar, right indicators on right-hand bar, cancel button on right-hand bar, or that switch cluster would be seriously full! :D
I think you missed one... Just visible over the top, out of focus. I suspect it's a pass/flash headlight switch.

I agree completely with your comments on the old BMW indicator system, it was total rubbish. Although you do get used to it very quickly, in 2 years of riding a BMW I felt every day that the system was inferior to the standard. And even if this was not the case, why mess with a standardised system? Next they'll be putting the throttle at the rear brake pedal and a gear nob on top of the tank.:p

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Where can I get one of these 3 position switches? I need this.
You would probably find one on fleabay, but don't assume that you could just fit it because depending on the bike you have, you may find problems with compatibility of the wiring and handlebar sizes. AFAIK, and remembering another thread on here, the member was unable to fit the switchgear due to having 7/8" handlebars. You might be better off looking to see what would fit from a Japanese bike and hacking the wiring to suit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You would probably find one on fleabay, but don't assume that you could just fit it because depending on the bike you have, you may find problems with compatibility of the wiring and handlebar sizes. AFAIK, and remembering another thread on here, the member was unable to fit the switchgear due to having 7/8" handlebars. You might be better off looking to see what would fit from a Japanese bike and hacking the wiring to suit.
The new 2013 Thruxtons and T100 Bonnevilles use this exact same switch. 2013 Scramblers and "Base" Bonnevilles use the different switches. Which actually sucks because I know where to get the Scrambler/Base Bonneville switches with the 3 position headlight switch.

If I DO find one of these switches, I will need to find someone with a 3D printer to replicate the switch guts to be able to retro-fit, wire up, and terminate the current switch with the blockoff plug. One thing I have noticed is that Triumph has used the same exact switch guts for the horn/starter button and the Hi-Lo/engine kill switches. If I can find ONE 3 position headlight switch I can determine if I will need to produce the mechanism or if I can use mechanisms that are still in production.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regarding the RH lighting switch, Triumph tell me that they do not exist! Do you have any idea what the part number is? It does not appear in any schematic.

Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Beware, I've read somewhere the ECU on FI Bonnevilles will not allow the bike to start unless it senses the resistance of the headlight bulb. If you put in a switch for the bulb, you might have to turn the lights on before you can start the bike.

-Ed

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Beware, I've read somewhere the ECU on FI Bonnevilles will not allow the bike to start unless it senses the resistance of the headlight bulb. If you put in a switch for the bulb, you might have to turn the lights on before you can start the bike.

-Ed
You read total nonsense of course - that issue came about in the early days of TuneECU, because people would remove fuse#9 to prevent the headlamp from being on (and draining the battery) whilst the bike was connected and tunes were being downloaded. Fuse#9 (on all models, not just EFI) was the main feed from the ignition switch to most of the ancillaries - headlamp, turn signals, brake light, horn and instrument lighting. It fed the headlamp via the starter relay, so without fuse#9 the starter would not work. So if you are going to fit a headlamp on/off switch, it has to be wired in between the starter relay and the headlamp.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
choose your market

In oz since I believe last century. Headlight on has been mandatory therefore an off hasn't been an option.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts