Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I did it, I lost my mind and stuck an RFID chip into my hand...

Hi again

I have been tied up with a few things and forgot to post an update on here. The mod is working really well still. I also went to the next level and put a RFID chip into my hand...

It true fashion here is my youtube of the starting procedure.

Love it/hate it I don't mind but I won't be loosing my key...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeh, it was pretty easy to do... I had a mate help me and a beer... It's been in my hand for about 2 months now. No dramas.

Here is a walkthrough of the procedure...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Alcohol... because no great story ever started with having a salad.... that was insane!!! lol. Sorry mate but wow!!!

Not too long before that becomes a common practice.

Thank you for sharing!

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Infection would seem to be the lesser concern...what about developing an allergic reaction/rejection of the foreign material? You said the device was rated for animal use....well that's not good enough for Human Beings....we tend to live for decades compared to lab mice/pets. Can screw up your immune system and lead to arthritis/Lupus Etc. This is a known problem for anything placed in the body. I guess the NHS will be there if & when you need it!

·
Super Moderator
21,212 Posts
Note that I first did this almost 6 yrs ago - and my innovation of the feedback diode creating the latch controlled by the Kill/Run switch is the simple mechanism that created an effective system without requirement for additional switch.
(Previous public domain versions utilizing this controller had used a dual-pole relay to create the latch but required additional switches to enable and drop)
I also advised of the blocking diode on the output of the RFID box to protect the circuit.
Both of these uncredited simple yet important features were developed by me.
But then my schematic was not so pretty ........... :D

That was a nice innovation by the OP @Mr*Beaver however, to incorporate those compact relays inside the controller module for an integrated box.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Infection would seem to be the lesser concern...what about developing an allergic reaction/rejection of the foreign material? You said the device was rated for animal use....well that's not good enough for Human Beings....we tend to live for decades compared to lab mice/pets. Can screw up your immune system and lead to arthritis/Lupus Etc. This is a known problem for anything placed in the body. I guess the NHS will be there if & when you need it!
Think you miss-heard. The RFID chip is NOT from an animal kit. Just the needle - it still comes sterilised and packed like a human one but is allot cheaper. They also have an RFID chip in them that must be removed first.

By all means the body could reject the implant chances are slim. The actual difference between an animal chip and a normal one is the animal version is a different frequency and has a bio-material coating that binds to the flesh it's placed next to meaning it won't move around. The type I inserted is straight up glass coated and should be safe to stay in the body. I will do a follow up video for people to show how the chip looks/feels in the hand.

And yes if it all goes wrong we do have the NHS but I also have a scalpel and bottle of gin...

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Note that I first did this almost 6 yrs ago - and my innovation of the feedback diode creating the latch controlled by the Kill/Run switch is the simple mechanism that created an effective system without requirement for additional switch.
(Previous public domain versions utilizing this controller had used a dual-pole relay to create the latch but required additional switches to enable and drop)
The thread Mr*Beaver pointed me to was on the 600RR forum for the main RFID controller. I would post the actual link, but don't know if I am allowed to link to other forums on here. Anyway I think it predates yours but that does not matter, since as you say the basic thing is in the public domain.

My original idea for the latching circuit was a 4013 configured as a toggle switch (attached). However this had a couple of disadvantages, depending on which way you look at it - the RFID tag needed to be presented a second time to turn the ignition off (this is the way that the M-Lock rolls), and it also meant constructing a small board. As you probably know yourself, anything on here that goes beyond relays, diodes and bulbs is found to be too much trouble for some. The double pole relay method was out of the question due to the space limitations and the use of additional switches.

I don't believe that anyone could claim credit for the use of diodes since they were the obvious answer to the problem. My train of thought went like this - to latch a relay you need two power sources. Those power sources need to be kept separate from each other. Without the feedback diode, the RFID unit tries to feed the whole bike system and the output voltage drops too low to operate the relays. Without the diode in the RFID output, the voltage from the feedback wire would destroy the RFID unit, as Beaver so clearly demonstrated. So those diodes had to be there to make the system work at all. They were used from neccessity rather than invention.

I also advised of the blocking diode on the output of the RFID box to protect the circuit.
Both of these uncredited simple yet important features were developed by me.
I'm sorry but I don't see how they were. Both of us may have had the same thought of using the diodes, I don't know, but I'm not making any claims of ownership over any ideas - the 4013 latch is obviously public domain, since the flip flop is a basic building block in electronics and there are only a few ways that it can be configured. Claiming ownership of the idea of using a diode in a circuit is akin to claiming to have invented the wheel.

But then my schematic was not so pretty ........... :D
I will take that as a compliment, thank you, although as long as schematics achieve their intended result it doesn't matter what they look like. I just use TinyCad for the schematics and Paint.NET for the visual aids (both free software) because I find them to be the quickest and most convenient. I wish that TinyCad would produce two colour wiring though.

That was a nice innovation by the OP @Mr*Beaver however, to incorporate those compact relays inside the controller module for an integrated box.
Indeed. I think that Beaver is the only one here who can legitimately lay claim to anything.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,212 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Will the RFID chip fail the scanners at airports....... and a million and one other concerns !!!!

Some people would give their right hand for that feature, by the way .....
nah, I've flown a few times since doing it. It's too small for most metal detectors and the wrong frequency for shops etc

·
Registered
2,915 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
2 year old thread I know, but I'm just staring to put the bits together to try this on an 09 Bonneville America.
Have any others out there put this unit together and have any tips or new photos to help me on my way? Any help would be welcome as my electrical skills pretty much end at wiring a plug, what could possibly go wrong?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi there pinball
what could possibly go wrong?
Well if you are anything like me, one or two things !! I tried this and had a few issues, that doesn't mean you will though, and with the help of @Ripper he came up with an alternative that I found a bit easier. If you can hang on for a few more days I will be posting a write up. Please don't be put of doing the Beaver mod, but it might interest you to see what I have done.
Cheers
Jon

21 - 40 of 59 Posts