Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the dimensions of the stock Bonneville handlebars. I'm looking for new bars, possibly NH Western Bars, and need dimensions to compare them to.
I'm trying to find the positioning similar to my old 1970 Triumph. Does anyone know of bars that resemble those. Would a NH western do the job?
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Does anyone know the dimensions of the stock Bonneville handlebars. I'm looking for new bars, possibly NH Western Bars, and need dimensions to compare them to.

Stock Handlebars
  • Rise = 5"
  • Pullback = 8"
  • Center = 5.5"
  • Width = 28"
NH Western Bars
  • Rise = 3.5"
  • Pullback = 5"
  • Center = 5"
  • Width = 27.5"
Vintage Triumph Bars
  • Rise = 6"
  • Pullback = 8"
  • Center = 6.5"
  • Width = 30.5"
I'm trying to find the positioning similar to my old 1970 Triumph. Does anyone know of bars that resemble those.
Maybe the Flanders Vintage Triumph handlebars? http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/ImportClassic/ImportTriumphType.html

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I'd go through the handlebar sticky too. There is tons of great info and pics of different handlebars. That helped me a ton in choosing my black clubmans.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Some of the HD Sportster bars are very close to the bars on my '66 Bonnies - my '68 came with bars that are 32" wide and are just a tad too wide for comfortable 70+mph cruising.

Dick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Handlebar dimensions

Thanks for the replies.
Does anyone have experience with the Norman Hyde Western Bars?
Their add says they are like older Triumph Bars. However the dimensions are quite a bit bigger than the Bellacorse Western Bars which say they are like the old Triumph bars too. But according to their dimensions they actually seem to be smaller than the stock Bonneville bars. You can see why I am confused.
Thanks Again,
Tim

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
Does anyone have experience with the Norman Hyde Western Bars?
Their add says they are like older Triumph Bars. However the dimensions are quite a bit bigger than the Bellacorse Western Bars which say they are like the old Triumph bars too. But according to their dimensions they actually seem to be smaller than the stock Bonneville bars. You can see why I am confused.
Thanks Again,
Tim
It depends what market the 60's bikes were destined for. West coast USA Triumphs were imported by Johnson Motors to their specification; East Coast USA bikes were imported to an entirely different specification. I can not vouch for the authenticity of my two '66s, but I picked up my 1968 T120 Bonneville at Meriden Works in the summer of 1967 and have owned /maintained it ever since - they are definitely OEM handlebars.
I worked as a Triumph mechanic for many years, and have set up over 600 Triumph twins from their wooden shipping crates - you would not believe the variation in componentry and accessories we found literally right out of the box! The dimensions listed above are pretty damn close to what most West Coast USA Triumphs came with from 1965-70.

Dick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you know whether the stock handle bar diameter? is it 1"? Ive seen in stores the majority availabe is 7/8" and the only other option is the fatbar. if i were to go for the 7/8 bars does that mean i would have to completely change the grips and riser?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Irresponsible Post Alert!

My apologies, Ranj. The width I gave was obviously incorrect. NH website shows they are in fact 890mm. Other websites also list the width as 35 inches.

Cheers,
Phil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wider bars

I'm trying to find the positioning similar to my old 1970 Triumph. Does anyone know of bars that resemble those. Would a NH western do the job?
Thanks,
Tim
Hey Tim, I ended up going for these bars (from Thunder Cycles in NZ) which are somewhere between the stock bars and the Norman Hyde bars, and then I also added 1" risers as well..

Check out the packages here:
http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/shopn/spi//TBIKE_1_BV1_8214

1 - 13 of 13 Posts