Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While not new to motorcycling or the Bonneville, I am new to the forum and appreciate reading about the experiences of others with this great bike.

I'm getting about 40 MPG with my '03 T100. It still has the original stock air box and air injection system. I have not removed / replaced these items because engine performance (while not stellar as far as power goes) is otherwise perfect. Starting is instantaneous and it runs perfectly. Is this mpg about right, in your experience?

Thanks!

[ This message was edited by: tsmgguy on 2006-12-02 13:30 ]

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2006-12-02 17:35, jquattro wrote:
TSM, on my '06 T100, I range from 38-44 mpg so that sounds right to me.
Pretty good, I'd think, as you have the 865cc engine vs. my 790. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
You're probably close to what most of us are getting. My riding buddy and I did see in the high forties on a trip out west where we were running the two lane roads for hours on end at 60-65 mph. Against headwinds it was a totally different story. Between Buffalo WY and Spearfish SD riding into a severe headwind, I doubt we got better than 33-35 mpg, if that. Motorcycles in general have the aerodynamics of a barn door.

Bob

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I suspect the "barn door" is the rider....and some of us are more barndoorish than others.......sigh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get 47 mpg (5 l/100km) constantly. I do not push my bonnie to the limits though (have a bycicle for that).

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2006-12-02 21:50, ohiorider wrote:
You're probably close to what most of us are getting. My riding buddy and I did see in the high forties on a trip out west where we were running the two lane roads for hours on end at 60-65 mph. . .

Bob
That sounds great! My plan is to ride the two lanes from West Texas to Northern California this fall. The T100 seems to have a cruising speed sweet spot of 55-65.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
In over 2 years of reading posts about gas mileage on this forum, I have concluded that one's mpg averages vary greatly on similar bikes. The variables that seem to affect one's mpg average the most are:

1. The "barn door" mentioned above; i.e., how big the rider is and how much he/she weighs.
2. Whether or not one has a load (saddle bags or passenger).
3. The type of riding we do; i.e., short rides in the city vs. long rides in the country.
4. Air/Fuel ratio for the carbs in the mid-range (needles)--that is where one does most of their riding.
5. Mod level of the bike--remember, the performance mods CAN increase the mpg average as well as decrease it depending on whether the carbs are set up correctly and the type of riding one does.

My '03 T-100 averaged between 45 and 50 mpg between 1000 miles and 2500 miles on the odometer. At that time, I installed NH Togas, removed the airbox and installed the NARK, and put a Parabellum Scout fairing on. Since, my mpg has averaged just over 50 mpg. I currently have 17900 miles on my bike. I cruise at 5000 to 5500 rpm...I ride on 2-lane country roads most of the time...I weigh 175 and am 5'8" tall. I do not hesitate to run the rpms up to the rev limiter (mine is set at 8100 rpm). I did have my carbs set up on a dyno with EGA...I still run the stock 17 tooth counter sprocket. :-D The only thing that I have found to affect my mpg is loaded saddle bags and seat bag AND one chain of service stations--they consistantly pump less volume than other stations. I verified this with my auto also--it makes no difference where I purchase the fuel in the tank...it does make a difference when I fill up at one of these stations and calculate the mpg based on the gallons just pumped.

Seldom do I start my bike and ride less than 50 miles before I shut off the engine. I get all my gear on, sit on the bike, and start it, and put it in gear and ride--no warm up of the engine at idle for my baby. :-D I try to hold the rpms under 4500 until I have ridden 30 miles--especially in cooler Wx. I try to never ride on interstate highways; however, that is almost impossible, so I keep it to a minimum.

Larry

[ This message was edited by: RedBird on 2006-12-03 10:56 ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts