Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new bonneville se and i am having trouble with the gas cap tightening up and being difficult to remove to fill I have greased the gasket lightly tried not tightening until it clicks. it almost seems as though it builds an internal pressure to make it difficult to remove.
has anyone experience this and have a remedy thanks

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I have a new bonneville se and i am having trouble with the gas cap tightening up and being difficult to remove to fill I have greased the gasket lightly tried not tightening until it clicks. it almost seems as though it builds an internal pressure to make it difficult to remove.
has anyone experience this and have a remedy thanks

Common problem. It'll loosen up after a few fill-ups.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Black Pearl, I also have a new SE and have had the same trouble with the gas cap. It's hard to remove it with a gloved hand, but I have found that if I remove my glove and push downward with my palm (not using my fingers on the rim of the cap), I can twist it off easily. Does that make sense to anybody but me? In other words try taking off the cap without using your fingers, just palm it. One of the items on my extensive wish list is a billet aluminum gas cap from New Bonneville. Other than the gas cap how do you like the SE? I love mine, I've put about 800 miles on it so far and it continues to impress me.

Russ

·
Registered
425 Posts
Had the same problem, don't tighten it to the 1st click..only until you feel the seal take up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There have been many threads on this. The gas cap is another example of where Triumph went cheap and refuses to fix the problem. Some people have posted that they couldn't get the cap off, and the dealer had to tear it apart. I got the billet cap from NewBonneville, which has very deep indents that let you get a real grip on it. Others like the flip top cap. Practically any aftermarket cap is better than the stock cap.

·
Registered
622 Posts
As others say this has been a problem for years, it will loosen eventually. I found that if I only tightened it 1 click after it seated down it didn't get stuck. However, being paranoid I did used to check I could get it open before going out on a ride:eek:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine progressively got tighter because it warped eventually it was really obvious when you looked at it. My dealer warrantied it. Might be worth checking to see if it is still round.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Monza Cap

Although I never had a problem with the standard gas cap on my '09 Bonnie, I replaced it with a Norman Hyde polished Monza cap. A thing of great beauty that takes me back to when I was just a nipper.

·
Registered
40 Posts
NH Monza Cap

Just received and installed my Monza gas cap from Norman Hyde, couldn't be better!
Received it in within three working days, easy installation and very good looking.
Ordered the polished one and I am happy I did!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I had the same problem with the OEM cap for 3-4 fills then it was just better. Then I bought the locking cap from New Bonneville. I had the same problem with that cap for 2-3 fills then not a problem. The locking cap sits a little higher letting you get a better grip on it.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
I've ordered mine with a locking cap. I wouldn't trust anyone not to tamper with it if they saw that it was unlocking!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts