Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an 04 Bonneville with stock front fender. I already removed the chrome fender stays, and I am debating on removing the front fender completely. I noticed a fork brace under the fender holding it on the bike. Does anyone ride without this fork brace and no front fender? What will happen if I ride without this fork brace?

Also, if the fork brace must be on, has anyone removed the brace from the rivets on the fender? Is it hard? And If i decided to put it all back together would I be able to?

Yes, alot of questions. Just looking for some insight and help!

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
You can reassemble anything that was riveted with screws and nuts.

If I wanted to ride without a front fender (I don't), I'd get an aftermarket fork brace. Leave the fender intact so you can sell it or re-use it. That brace by itself isn't going to look good anyway.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Brace

Ive got an 04 Bonneville with stock front fender. I already removed the chrome fender stays, and I am debating on removing the front fender completely. I noticed a fork brace under the fender holding it on the bike. Does anyone ride without this fork brace and no front fender? What will happen if I ride without this fork brace?

Also, if the fork brace must be on, has anyone removed the brace from the rivets on the fender? Is it hard? And If i decided to put it all back together would I be able to?

Yes, alot of questions. Just looking for some insight and help!
Believe that some have ridden without brace, wouldnt recomend it but your call.
There are plenty of aftermarket braces should you want to go that way.
Without the brace when you come to replacing the tyre fork alignment will be hard. (that is keeping the tubes parralel).

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
As stated ,you can put it back on with nuts and bolts. Riding with just the brace is fine and it's not too noticeable,but I ended up taking it off completely. I don't ride "hard" and to me,the ride is a little smoother,not having the forks being pulled together,how ever slightly..

·
Registered
559 Posts
I took the fender and brace off my Thruxton a few months ago. I give the bike a good workout in the corners and to be honest, I can't notice the difference without the brace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys thanks for all the responses.. Just have to find the right size wrench to get between the tire and the brace, even though taking off the front wheel is simple enough. But I'm lazy what can i say haha.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I have ridden with a fork brace for 4 years now. I took it off the other day to see if i would notice the difference. The difference was immediately noticeable for me. I still had on the OEM fender brace

·
Registered
76 Posts
i've been running no brace or fender on my scrambler for a couple of months and haven't had any issues. but it's a scrambler, i ain't exactly railing it around corners. it bends just fine set up this way, though.

probably wouldn't take the brace off my thruxton, as handling is much more critical for how i ride that bike...

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
Just as an aside, I'd be leery of riding with the stock fender with the fender stays removed. The fender is fairly flexible, and it wouldn't be a good thing if it flexed and got eaten by the tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts