Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
searched the forum pretty well, i think, but haven't really found anything concrete - so the situation is that i might have to get new forks this weekend. not really into paying a ton of money for new triumph ones. talked to a few gearheads up in connecticut. they suggest that any kayaba 41mm forks will work on our bikes, including those found on mid-70's - 80's 400cc kawa kz and zxr models. would be awesome if that were the case. can anyone confirm or deny this? anyone have any experience with swapping out our forks for any others? recommendations? prices, sources, etc?

thanks!

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
A 41mm fork tube is a 41mm fork tube,Triumph,Harley or Honda. Its the triple trees and steering stem diameter/length that decide weather it will fit or not.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
searched the forum pretty well, i think, but haven't really found anything concrete - so the situation is that i might have to get new forks this weekend. not really into paying a ton of money for new triumph ones. talked to a few gearheads up in connecticut. they suggest that any kayaba 41mm forks will work on our bikes, including those found on mid-70's - 80's 400cc kawa kz and zxr models. would be awesome if that were the case. can anyone confirm or deny this? anyone have any experience with swapping out our forks for any others? recommendations? prices, sources, etc?

thanks!
Bearing in mind that the Z1000 J2 I bought new back in '83 only had 38mm forks, I would be very surprised if the bikes you mention had 41mm forks. If you are retaining the fork yolks (triple trees) then theoretically any 41mm forks will "fit" but you may encounter issues with fitting the brake caliper and the wheel axle, etc... I believe the forks fitted so some versions of the Honda CB600F are very similar to ours (but not identical), as are those used on the Suzuki SV600 and both of these have been fitted to Bonnies with varying degrees of modification required. It might help people to come up with sensible suggestions if you tell us why you might need to get new forks and how much of the front end you want to replace.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The CBR600F3 tubes are 41mm, cartridge type and will bolt up to your stock lower legs. So the drill is to install the lower legs on the tubes w/ honda internals, fit them into your stock trees, and then reinstall the wheel. The tubes are 1.3" longer than stock, so you need to leave a bit standing proud of the top tree...worth it to get some cartridge forks IMHO.

Dunno if the SV650 tubes will do the same. You should be able to bolt your stock lower legs onto those as well. Those are dampner rod forks...maybe Sweat can fill you in on how long they are compared to stock.

Regards,

--Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts