Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many are into flat track racing but I thought I'd post some info on a Triumph team currently racing on the AMA Grand National circuit. For those of you who have never been to a race it is something you should check out. Twins going 140 mph on dirt and sliding through the turns. Truly the last real daredevils in motorsports. Anyways modern flat track racing is dominated by Harley Davidson as they make the only purpose built machine for the sport. There is however a growing number of teams using other manufacturers' production bikes modified for racing. Bonneville Performance is one of these teams. Last week, Brian Phillips put their Bonneville in a AMA Grand National main for the first time. Congrats to the guys and if you get a chance you should make it out to a race and support the fastest Bonnie on dirt.

Bonneville Performance Race Team...
Homepage: http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com/bonneville_performance_800gt.htm
Racing photos: http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com/flattracker.htm

Brian Phillips piloting the Bonneville through a turn...

Here's the GNC and Hot Shoe schedules...
http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/events/index.cfm?class=gn
http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/events/index.cfm?class=hs

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I wish they would come to Tucson Az, I would love to see some flat track races again. Good on the crew that's running the Triumph. There was a time in the sixties when Triumph dominated the flat track circuit. Triumphs reputation was always built on it's racing heratige. More independants racing Triumphs will only raise the public awareness of them. To bad the factory doesn't do that. I have never seen a T.V. or print add for Triumph.
Off to the races boys.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Did you see the exhaust system that is for sale on that website ?

http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com/Exhaust Systems.htm

Wonder if it would fit a stock motor with the stock oil cooler etc , hmm .

Looks nice . I had a supertrapp exhaust a long time ago on a three wheeler . Nice setup that was .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is some more stuff on the Bonneville Performance team from the Sideburn Magazine blog. Sideburn is an awesome flat track/speedway magazine based in the U.K. that covers the past and present of going fast and turning left...

http://sideburnmag.blogspot.com/search?q=bonneville+performance

Sideburn Magazine

Bonneville Performance Street Tracker:

Specs:
1200cc Triumph Powered
Engine: 1200 cc 270 degree crank 101 mm bore 74.3 mm stroke
104 rear wheel HP @ 8000 rpm
91 ft. lbs. torque @ 4300 rpm
Frame and swing arm 4130 Chrome molly
Wheel base 55.5 inches - adjustable to 57.5 inches
Steering head angle 24.5 degrees
Front suspension modified (lengthened) Yamaha R6 43 mm 3 way adjustable cartridge forks Billet triple clamps with 1 mm to 7 mm offsets
Rear suspension Penske 3 way adjustable mono-shock
Front wheel Performance Machine
Rear wheel Performance Machine
Front brakes - 2 - Beringer 6 piston Aerotec calipers with Suzuki K4 298 mm rotors
Rear brake - Beringer 2 piston floating Caliper A&A Racing 10.5 inch rotor
Wet weight 351 lbs.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good looking ride for sure :)

I used to get to watch some races at the local fair in Ionia . I never got got off on motorcross etc but flattrack is cool .

·
Registered
188 Posts
The great Gary Nixon still pops up from time to time - someone I'd love to meet:

Also, if anyone wants to get a little taste of what flat-tracking feels like and also learn some great stuff about how to ride a motorcycle in general, I commend to you "American Supercamps" - thrills, spills, and lots of laughs.
And in some of the East coast camps Chris Carr instructs, speaking of all-time greats and all-around good guys, even if he doesn't ride a Trumpet.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Agree - that Street Tracker is awesome!

100 pounds lighter than the advertised figure for the stock Scrambler & Bonnie, and double the rear wheel horsepower... I want to ride that bike! :)

It is good to see a Triumph in the flat track races again. I hope they do well, and stay in the game!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I supported them buy buying Bill's HSR mikuni carb kit for almost $1400. :D
Hmmm... The same set-up that you can buy elsewhere for less than a thousand bucks?.. :eek:

Gately's prices are higher than the balls on a giraffe. The only thing that's bigger is his inflated ego..

$1600 for his 2-into-1, when you can buy a new Arrow for less than $800 on ebay? I don't think so.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lima Race Report

Here is the Bonneville Performance race report from the Lima, OH AMA Grand National...

From Bill Gately:
We finished 7th in our heat race and 7th in the semi-final. We got he hole shot and held 3rd in the semi until lap 5 when Brian low sided coming out of turn 2 and they red flagged the race. He picked the bike up and got it back to the restart -- Brian got an incredible re-start passing half the field before turn two from dead last and held 6th and fell to a close 7th on the final lap. The link below will take you to all of the standings in the time qualifications, heat races, semis and the final. There are also some great pics on the slide shows on the same link.

http://www.flattrakfotos.com/2009 Results/RESULTS_06-27-09.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The great Gary Nixon still pops up from time to time - someone I'd love to meet:

Also, if anyone wants to get a little taste of what flat-tracking feels like and also learn some great stuff about how to ride a motorcycle in general, I commend to you "American Supercamps" - thrills, spills, and lots of laughs.
And in some of the East coast camps Chris Carr instructs, speaking of all-time greats and all-around good guys, even if he doesn't ride a Trumpet.

Awesome pic...the old Triumph team is legendary.

Gene Romero!!!

Photos from...
www.mahonyphotos.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
Great pix!

Somebody told me a while back that one of the great riders from that era was riding vintage motocross in the Atlanta area, but I haven't "tracked" that down. Anybody know who that might be?

As for Gene Romero, here's one thing he's up to these days, and I read that he wants to start a flat track school with Dave Aldana. That might be fun even for we'uns that remember open faced helmets on the track!:cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great pix!

Somebody told me a while back that one of the great riders from that era was riding vintage motocross in the Atlanta area, but I haven't "tracked" that down. Anybody know who that might be?

As for Gene Romero, here's one thing he's up to these days, and I read that he wants to start a flat track school with Dave Aldana. That might be fun even for we'uns that remember open faced helmets on the track!:cool:
Another legend on British Motorcycles (BSAs and Nortons)...

and subject of probably the most famous T-shirt design in flat track...

Which I believe he is wearing in this who's who of golden age flat track racing...

Look at all those British bikes...only 1 Harley...haha!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts