Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2001 triumph bonneville and it goes great appart from one problem. The crankcase breather lets oil up through the pipe and into the airbox assembly. After a fairly short time the air filter will become soiled and it will begin to choke the engine. It also drips on the floor via the airfilter box overflow. Compression is ok and as i say it goes great. Oil level is spot on. I heard somewhere that they may have had a problem with a seal in the breather assembly arround this time ??? Anyone know anything about this problem or where it may be more appropriate to ask the question? It's now becoming quite frustrating! Thanks in advance for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Had that happen on my 05 Thruxton. The spinner that keeps oil from splashing up the breather hose slipped on its axis and started spewing oil up the breather hose.

It was repaired under warranty as a known issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,043 Posts
My mechanic said that this was a problem in the earlier Bonnevilles but that it had been mostly resolved by my year (2005). I'm not sure what they did to resolve it, though.

His point was, make sure that the oil is never over-filled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,043 Posts
My mechanic said that this was a problem in the earlier Bonnevilles but that it had been mostly resolved by my year (2005). I'm not sure what they did to resolve it, though.

His point was, make sure that the oil is never over-filled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,043 Posts
And I apologize for that post going through twice. My internet connection burped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
You need a new seal #T3600054 and maybe a new centrifugal breather #T1100105. Both are behind the left engine cover

If you are lucky Triumph will cover it even if it's out of guaranty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
Marty,

One can delete a redundant post or for that matter any post they make--just can't delete other's posts unless U B da MODERATOR. :-D

Larry
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Jojje 1963 - can you tell me what these parts do and why you think i need new ones??

Sorry to be a pain - just wanna be sure before i order up bits.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Yes I have, but that won't help you..

Go to bikebandit.com and OEM parts, find the Bonnie.
The seal is under "enginecovers" #6 and the centrifugal breather is under "crankshaft" #3

If your breather is white you should get a new one, they are now black.

I see now that you have an -05, then you only need the seal (if you have a problem at all?) Ooh, and if you have an 865cc there are other parts involved that I have no knowledge off, never owned an 865

[ This message was edited by: jojje1963 on 2007-01-10 21:10 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
On 2007-01-10 18:37, draig wrote:
Have a 2001 triumph bonneville and it goes great appart from one problem. The crankcase breather lets oil up through the pipe and into the airbox assembly. After a fairly short time the air filter will become soiled and it will begin to choke the engine. It also drips on the floor via the airfilter box overflow. Compression is ok and as i say it goes great. Oil level is spot on. I heard somewhere that they may have had a problem with a seal in the breather assembly arround this time ??? Anyone know anything about this problem or where it may be more appropriate to ask the question? It's now becoming quite frustrating! Thanks in advance for your help.
It's a Girl's bike. Insert a feminine pad in the airbox and all will be fine. No more dripping. :-D :razz: :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
I have an 01 Tbird with the same issue. The breather was replaced under warranty a few years ago. However, the problem has come back. I understand your frustration, draig.

If you want to see some pics of the breather and seal, check out some of the replies in this thread from the Classics forum. As you can tell from that thread, I'm not a mechanical genius. But I do plan on trying to get this issue sorted on my own this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
On 2007-01-11 06:41, Rincewind wrote:
I have an 01 Tbird with the same issue. The breather was replaced under warranty a few years ago. However, the problem has come back.
So is Triumph sorting this out for you? Its a design flaw so should be covered by Triumph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
On 2007-01-11 08:03, whoa wrote:
So is Triumph sorting this out for you? Its a design flaw so should be covered by Triumph.
I will have to take it up with a dealer at my next service, which is overdue. The bike has been out of warranty for awhile, but I will see if they can cover it as it's been an issue since I bought the bike new in 02.

Just to clarify, it's not quite as bad as draig's issue - my air filter has never caused my engine to choke. With my bike, if I don't keep draining the airbox every couple hundred miles, the oil will drip down the outside of the airbox drain tube. Quite messy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Well, the seal seals and the centrifugal stops oil from entering the vent tube.

You will need the seal, no question about that. You won't know if you need the centrifugal breather until you have removed your clutch cover.

/J
On 2007-01-10 20:51, draig wrote:
Hi

Jojje 1963 - can you tell me what these parts do and why you think i need new ones??

Sorry to be a pain - just wanna be sure before i order up bits.

Thanks
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to drag this one up again guys but finally got round to opening it up.

The breather is the 'new' black one and looks OK. The seal does look a bit ropey.

With the engine cover on the bench how do I get the breather pipe assembly out of the engine cover - it is stuck fast.

When removed how do I get the old crank case breather seal out - any tips - don't wanna feck it up.

Cheers guys :wink:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top