Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Bville America will not go into 1st gear without grinding a little. I have tried to adjust the cable several times and it makes no difference. The bike has 12,000 miles on it. Do I need new clutch plates? Is the cable stretched out? Thanks....Steve

·
Registered
173 Posts
Adjust your freeplay first then go from there. Freeplay clearance is the thickness of a nickel at the clutch lever. Refer to Triumph shop manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: America clutch

Thanks, I'll see what happens. It seems that I've always had trouble with clutches. My 72 Chopper(triumph Bville) is doing the same thing even after new plates. It grinds into 1st everytime. I've been told before that its in the adjustment, I just don't have the knack for it I quess.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Clutch

If its the 1st shift after starting- try reving the motor clutch in & then put it in 1st gear. Breakes the seal on the plates. I prefer a dimes clearance on the lever since w/ use it will stretch to a nickle. That 1st shift after startup will be a banger till the plates are free! When a bike gets older- it goes from a clunk, to a grind as the dogs get rounded w/ age.
Not to worry!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts