Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 bonnerville.
Has anyone done a successful suspension upgrade and what Has been done to improve the harsh suspension?

·
Registered
91 Posts
front fork emmulators / oil / progressive spring.
= massive improvement for me.
depending on your weight the back may be over-sprung.
[i'm a relitive lightweight] and a lighter spring has helped on the back.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of info on suspension upgrades for your Bonneville. Probably best to do a search for suspension and spend some time reading. Just about any suspension upgrade will improve your ride, but your weight and type of riding may dictate the shocks and springs that you will prefer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Lots of info and options. Remaining within a "reasonable" budget, and recognizing you are not riding a "superbike", my solution was to go with Ricor Intiminators in the front forks, and the popular and well proven Hagon 2810's for the rear. Relatively easy installs and multiple options to your liking between chrome and black for the Hagons. 2810s also provide two way adjustment and good advice from their retail sources.

Encourage you to do some homework to best understand the considerations.

Ride safe, Thruxty.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Matris F15K cartridge kit in the front Hagon rear works for me , the fork kit was half price on ebay made it affordable ( just ).

·
Registered
22 Posts
TEC Progressive Fork Springs and the TEC Alloy Remote Reservoir Shocks made a big difference and didn’t break the bank 😎

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
When I moved back home to Michigan I knew in short order I'd have to do something to deal with the moonscape roads in the Detroit area. I did Ricor Intiminators up front and, while I maybe chastised for cost (of little matter to me as I planned on keeping it forever), popped for Ohlins 36E's set up for my weight and intent by Cogent Dynamics. The change in composure is the proverbial night and day. Good luck, and almost anything you decide to do short of making it a hardtail will be an improvement.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Suspension recommendations are a lot like Oil and Tire suggestions. Ask 10 riders and you will get 10 different answers. The one thing most will agree on is that the stock suspension on Air Cooled Bonnies are budget suspenders. How much you want to improve will dictate how much you will spend.

For mild shock improvements over stock, Hagon's seem to be the best solution. Anything else in that price range will only be marginally better or worse than the Hagon's. If you want to really improve the shock absorbing ability of your bike, be prepared to spend at least a grand for Ohlins, Wilburs, YSS, Racetech etc. Those shocks will come with full adjustability allowing you to really tune the rear of your bike to your rear. :)

Now for the forks. Simple solutions are changing oil weight and shims to change preload. But you will still be limited by the dampening rod style suspension which is very low tech. Next step is to add emulators by Ricor or Racetech which will improve that style of fork to about the best it can be, which is still low tech. The best option for really improving the front end of your Bonnie, short of replacing the forks entirely with modern adjustable cartridge style forks from a donor bike, is to get a cartridge upgrade kit from Ohlins or others. This approach is cost effective, maintains the stock look of your forks and dramatically upgrades your forks. Basically, you open up the forks, take everything out, drop in new cartridge inserts and reassemble with new fork caps that have external adjustments for pre-load, compression and rebound.

I took the full monty route with Ohlin piggybacks and the Ohlin cartridge upgrade. As I plan on keeping this bike a while and perhaps do a few track days on her, I was able to justify the cost. While I was at it, I upgraded the front brake to a Brembo 4 Piston and larger rotor along with new master cylinder.

Hey, it is only money. I will earn more!!

Rick G

·
Registered
61 Posts
Suspension recommendations are a lot like Oil and Tire suggestions. Ask 10 riders and you will get 10 different answers. The one thing most will agree on is that the stock suspension on Air Cooled Bonnies are budget suspenders. How much you want to improve will dictate how much you will spend.

For mild shock improvements over stock, Hagon's seem to be the best solution. Anything else in that price range will only be marginally better or worse than the Hagon's. If you want to really improve the shock absorbing ability of your bike, be prepared to spend at least a grand for Ohlins, Wilburs, YSS, Racetech etc. Those shocks will come with full adjustability allowing you to really tune the rear of your bike to your rear. :)

Now for the forks. Simple solutions are changing oil weight and shims to change preload. But you will still be limited by the dampening rod style suspension which is very low tech. Next step is to add emulators by Ricor or Racetech which will improve that style of fork to about the best it can be, which is still low tech. The best option for really improving the front end of your Bonnie, short of replacing the forks entirely with modern adjustable cartridge style forks from a donor bike, is to get a cartridge upgrade kit from Ohlins or others. This approach is cost effective, maintains the stock look of your forks and dramatically upgrades your forks. Basically, you open up the forks, take everything out, drop in new cartridge inserts and reassemble with new fork caps that have external adjustments for pre-load, compression and rebound.

I took the full monty route with Ohlin piggybacks and the Ohlin cartridge upgrade. As I plan on keeping this bike a while and perhaps do a few track days on her, I was able to justify the cost. While I was at it, I upgraded the front brake to a Brembo 4 Piston and larger rotor along with new master cylinder.

View attachment 718276
View attachment 718277

Hey, it is only money. I will earn more!!

Rick G
I did not realize the Ohlins cartridge for our Bonnevilles is only $400! That is a no brainer imo. Thanks for mentioning.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I replaced the rear shocks only to get a heavier spring rate. On the street I can't tell much difference between the damper rod forks and any of my bikes with cartridge forks.

The track is a different place and there I use Penske and Racetech parts (or emulators on my SV) at both end as appropriate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I replaced the rear shocks only to get a heavier spring rate. On the street I can't tell much difference between the damper rod forks and any of my bikes with cartridge forks.

The track is a different place and there I use Penske and Racetech parts (or emulators on my SV) at both end as appropriate.
I ordered a DDR fork kit from Rich at Cogent and will report after it arrives and I put some miles on it. First ride today with the ZRX KYB shocks. Very worthwhile improvement for $275. Spring is a bit to much for my 220# but I will live with it for a while before considering spending another $160 on a lower spring rate.
As you state; this is not a track bike so just spending enough to bring a bit better handling and ride quality. I had a race only SV with custom suspension...great track bike for short money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed Race Tech cartridge emulators up front and Works shocks in back— both sets adjusted to my weight. The difference from stock is night and day—bike is on rails😎

2103 Bonneville SE
Remus Exhaust, TTP Tune, Works Shocks, Race Tech Emulators, Parabellum Fairing, Steering Damper, Mo Tech Removable Saddle Bags

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 bonnerville.
Has anyone done a successful suspension upgrade and what Has been done to improve the harsh suspension?
My friend uses Ikon suspension from Albury on her Bonnie.

It lowers the suspension slightly and she loves the ride.

It was fitted/recommended by Triumph Performance Parts (Muldon)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts