Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
I was getting ready to buy a 2019 Bobber Black with the Zero % financing offer going on right now and then this morning I get an email from Triumph North America about the Bobber TFC. Hole Lee Sheeeee It!!! It is strikingly beautiful and all logic escaped my motorcycle addicted brain and I quickly called my local Triumph dealer and put down a deposit.

No idea how the lottery system works. I was told there would be more info after the Dealers meeting in Nashville this up coming weekend.

If I am successfully in securing a real order I will just need to figure out how to pay for it!!! Small detail!!!!

Here we gooooooooooo!!!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love Bobbers and have been thinking about one to compliment my Thruxton TFC .. saw this and went .. PERFECT It would have been nice to bump the power up to the 109 like the other TFC though ( and yes it suppose to be high torque , but doesn't have more )

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Does your Thrux have Cruise Control? That is the one thing I cannot figure out if they carried CC over from the Bobber Black for the Bobber TFC.

And I don't understand why with all of the premium goodies that come on the Bobber TFC that it does not include heated grips as standard!!!! It gets cold about 15 times a year here in Central Florida and I love me my toasty grips!!!

I have owned about 25 bikes over the last 9 years and I still get super excited when I am in the hunt for a new one. This Bobber TFC has my excitement off scale!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It would have been nice to bump the power up to the 109 like the other TFC though ( and yes it suppose to be high torque , but doesn't have more )
You'd need to see the curves. The new one might actually make more low end power even though it has a lower peak "torque" value.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'd need to see the curves. The new one might actually make more low end power even though it has a lower peak "torque" value.
at least for 2019 the hi torque motor produced less torque and hp than the HP version .. with the lightened internals that they started in the Thruxton TFC, it should be very entertaining. A cam and a tune will change that

·
Registered
905 Posts
Very nice looking bike. My biggest question will the ergonomics (pegs, seat, handlebars) work ? The seat to bars looks like a loooong way.

We need to see a normal portioned rider sitting on it and then riding it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
at least for 2019 the hi torque motor produced less torque and hp than the HP version ..
No, it produced less *peak* torque. You should forget about engine torque anyway as for a rider it's nothing more than marketing BS. What you care about it the power to the rear wheel. ALL of it, not just the peak value.

Anyway, here are a couple of graphs.
http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/images/2016/08/2016-triumph-bonneville-t120-dyno-chart.jpg?itok=zmOqH8RS&fc=50,50
http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/2016-triumph-thruxton-r-dyno-chart.jpg?itok=E3js62Dc&fc=50,50

The HT engine makes more linear power (flatter torque curve) to about 3500 rpm. If you were to sum the area under the power curve to that point you'd find the HT engine makes more total power up to ~3500 rpm. Above that rpm, the HP engine breathes better and makes more total power and more peak power.
The HP's peak torque number is only taken at one rpm along its 7k rpm curve. That number tells you almost nothing.
If you lay any two power graphs over one another, the one with the most area under the curve is going to be faster until and unless the less powerful bike exceeds it as the HP does over the HT at 3500 rpm.
The torque number and curve are superfluous. At any given rpm, the bike making more power will be making more torque. That's just how the math works. No reason to bother mapping it. It just confuses people.
Think of your engine as you and your motorbike as a bicycle. When you are in first gear, your bicycle is easy to pedal so you can go uphill. That gearing gives you max torque at the rear wheel. It does nothing to make your bicycle accelerate faster unless you're not moving at all. When you're in 10th gear, it is very hard to pedal, but you can go very fast. That gearing gives you minimum torque but maximum rear wheel rpm.
Everyone thinks of torque is low end power. It's not. Low end power is low end power. Torque and rpm are the components of rotating power.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looking at the graph , there is more torque earlier and longer in the hp . it crosses 70 lbs ft sooner

HP is just a calculation , torque is real. HP = torque x rpm / 5250

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Triumph will cap Bobber TFC production at 750 units, but it hasn't revealed how many have been earmarked for the American market. Buyers will receive a specific handover kit consisting of a custom build book detailing how their bike came to life, a document wallet, and a leather rucksack. Pricing starts at $17,500

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/08/triumph-factory-custom-bobber-thruxton-cafe-racer-eicma/?yptr=yahoo
God I hope I get on the list!!! 5 years ago I was only focused on having the fastest super naked available but not that I am getting older or anything I am finding myself enjoying the less frantic bikes in my line up immensely. I love riding my Street Scrambler on errands and slow (sub 60 MPH) rides going no where. Same goes for my Urban GS which I have set-up more like a urban putt-putt bike than anything that would ever leave the pavement. Fingers and toes crossed for # xxx of 750!!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
No, it produced less *peak* torque. You should forget about engine torque anyway as for a rider it's nothing more than marketing BS. What you care about it the power to the rear wheel. ALL of it, not just the peak value.

Anyway, here are a couple of graphs.
http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/images/2016/08/2016-triumph-bonneville-t120-dyno-chart.jpg?itok=zmOqH8RS&fc=50,50
http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/2016-triumph-thruxton-r-dyno-chart.jpg?itok=E3js62Dc&fc=50,50
For some reason those 404 for me - any chance someone that can see them could copy them into the thread?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Got my invite to place a deposit (prior to purchase) today from Triumph UK, I won’t be taking them up on their kind offer having only just purchased a Speed Twin but it does mean there are still some available. Also as I’m usually the last to know about these things it probably means there are more than a few of the 750 still available looking for their new owners.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Got my invite to place a deposit (prior to purchase) today from Triumph UK, I won’t be taking them up on their kind offer having only just purchased a Speed Twin but it does mean there are still some available. Also as I’m usually the last to know about these things it probably means there are more than a few of the 750 still available looking for their new owners.
Did you ask to go on the waiting list, or is it basically a advertising mailshot?

I'm not going to buy one; just interested

·
Registered
359 Posts
No prior interest, just a mail shot. Also got one for the 765rs open night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts