Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new BMW battery charger # 71607688865 for my 1200GS ADV. This charger comes with a plug in for the accessory socket on the BMW. Will this charger work on my 2005 Sprint ST if I plug it into the accessory socket on the sprint. Instructions for the BMW state must first turn key to on for the bike then plug the battery charger into the wall then turn key off on the bike. Thanks Roy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,
IMO You can use this charger, BUT before that You have to check the Ah battery parameter (sorry, I don't know how it's called in English) for ST and GS and, if ST battery has the param value greater or equal, there should be no problem with the charger (it accepts more ampers than GS battery).
If it's smaller and the charger has no regulation, I'd rather give up using it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've used one for three years on various bikes including the sprint with no problems. It'll charge most common bike batteries as it's designed for the full range of BMW's, from the giant LT to the 650GS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bmw battery charger

Granty, do you have the same charger? Do you need to go thru this procedure of turning the key to on for the sprints st or just plug it in and let it charge? Thanks Roy

·
Registered
79 Posts
The procedure of switching the ignition on and off is a BMW can bus thing. On the Sprint you just plug it in and away you go! I'm not sure about the part numbers though. Give it a try and see if it works. If it won't charge because it's somehow specific to BMW canbus try any bog standard bike charger, they work fine.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I would think the key dance with the newer BMW has something to do with using the Canbus wiring system on those bikes. The 1050 doesn't use it, does it?

·
Registered
488 Posts
The key dance for the BMW is indeed for the can-bus system on that bike. Turning the key on and hooking up the charger sends a voltage signal to the controller to keep the powerlet circuit connected after the bike is shut off, otherwise the can-bus shuts down the powerlet circuit when the key is turned off.

It would be worth asking your BMW dealer whether your specific charger works with all BMW models, as not all Beemers have can-bus. If they tell you the charger works only with can-bus models, you have your answer.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Warning

WARNING; If the BMW charger that you speak of is for the BMW Gel battery, you need to read the following........

The following is a message from the company president.

I will try to end the confusion about the new BMW Gel battery Battery
Tender.

The BMW Gel Battery Tender is in fact different than the normal Battery
Tender Plus. Although the Deltran Battery Tender Plus and the BMW Battery
Tender appear the same they are quite different. Approximately one year ago
BMW contacted us concerning their new Gel battery that is manufactured by
Exide battery in Germany. We were instructed to redesign the charge
algorithm to comply specifically with the new Exide Gel battery. Exide
recommended very specific changes to the charge curve, one being a timed
sequence during the absorption period. Please keep in mind that our
engineering staff has been designing charge curves for over fourteen years
and prior to this design request had never seen anything quite like the new
Exide Gel.

As the old saying goes, "the customer always knows best," we can only
do
as requested. If BWM/Exide says charge it to their instructions and the
battery will last through the warranty period who are we to argue. If it is
any consolation, we have found it to be a very good battery and should give
you many years of service.

We do claim per our packaging that we correctly charge gel batteries,
prior to seeing the Exide battery that statement was true, we are now
changing our packaging to indicate otherwise. Due to the new battery design,
and to comply with the BMW warranty, the customer must purchase a "Gel
Specific" battery charger.

After all these years in the charger business we are still amazed how
every manufacture try's to re-invent the battery. We realize that with all
the different batteries in the market place the customer becomes very
confused and is usually forced to spend more money. Approximately three
years ago Harley-Davidson changed their battery design and manufacturer, it
proved to be a very wise decision and we can only hope it works out best for
BMW, and most importantly, you the customer.

Sorry for the Confusion,
Mike Prelec
President,
Deltran Corp.

·
Registered
436 Posts
IS the Sprint outlet switched, or is it always on? If it's switched, it will not accept a charge. Relay will be open, meaning no closed circuit to get the juice to the battery.

If it's not a switched outlet, you should be good to go charging through that outlet.

Not sure about the charging waves and all that jazz, but you can always access the battery if its an unswitched outlet.

Looking to buy a Sprint, maybe today, and am interested to find if that socket is switched or not...

- Dan

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
It seems anytime I suggest that someone do a 'search' before asking a question, even though it is suggested in the new member sticky, someone complains. But, you have been a member since May last year; I think it is justified.

Do a friggin search!

Also, this is a maintenance thread for tips and tricks to keep our
bikes running. Your question would have been better placed in the forum, not here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts