Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an older BMW r80/100 not exactly sure what are your guys thoughts on turning it into a cafe racer? I've heard that the boxer engine is very reliable but how is it as far as power and delivery? And ability to corner with the cylinder heads sticking out of the sides?
Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
:) As an ex owner of a few boxer engined BM's, I can assure you that the only way the cylinder heads will hit the road is if you have already fallen off! There are lots of "cafe racer" BMW's around, and they look good to my eyes.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Nice torque, you won't be impressed with the power vs your Speed and you will have to become accustomed to the "shaft effect" on that air head. You don't want to chop throttle while leaned over. Longer throw shift and over all more of an industrial feel. Very easy to work on since everything important is out in the open and the older air heads do look great as cafe specials. These bike have their quirks, so unless you get some seat time, you will be a bit out of water so to speak.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the 1050 but lately really liking the idea of a bonneville just looking for a different experience to sort of lean back and just chill,depending on the mood, but due to the finances it's not an option at this point, the BMW would be nearly free, just a bit of wrench time in the garage few late nights with hot pizza and beer while listening to the radio, can't beat that.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Took more than a few late nights in the garage:p, but turned out better than I had hoped for- that's always a good thing. Recognize the headlamp?

Get it and have fun!

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I have owned so many different makes I have lost count. Each one has had its good points, and if you focus on them, there is a nice motorcycle in there somewhere. Like Burt Monro said " Its more fun to take something slow and make it go fast, than take something fast and make it go slow" or something like that. Good luck with your new project. Looks like fun.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Pick it up, you won't regret it, that's for sure. Buying a Thruxton or Bonneville is cool, but buying something somewhat unique and making it your own, priceless. If you like, hit me up with questions once you get into it. There are a couple of resources out there for cafe related parts I can turn you onto.

Get it!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Why are we not looking at pictures of your airhead cafe already:confused:

You should be elbow deep in this project already, get on it man!:D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Mine's more of a rat than a cafe. '71 R75/5, punched out to 900cc with a 5-speed tranny, taller gears and Mikuni carbs. It's hard not to smile when riding it. Perhaps you'll recognize the shocks....

And you can drag the valve covers in a turn, but they're pretty thick and it'd take a while to grind through them. It's a badge of honor having battlescarred valve covers. The ones in the pic are my third set.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Here's my boxer...well, er, it *was* mine until about a year ago. 1971 R50/5 set up for either street or track...it takes about 1/2 hour of time to remove the mirror, sidestand, horn, kickstarter, and lights to make it AHRMA compliant.

Sorry about the links...for some reason, there wasn't an image URL to paste following the upload.

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Lol, that bike sat next to mine in the Cafe tent of AMA Vintage Days last summer. Can't remember his name, but I bought the alloy upper tripple on my bike from him. Cool cat. I think he is a web designer/photographer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've owned 12 BMW's from 1965-1990 models.

Every one was "de Americanized" and put back to Euro Specs.

It is important to know which model you are considering and what specific year.

Some lend themselves to modifications more easily than others.

The first thing I would check is for double discs up front. Single disc .. pass.(with few exceptions)

Does it have a monolever or two rear shocks ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's Casey Wilkinson's bike. He brings it to Mods vs Rockers in Chicago every year which is a great event. This year it should be even better as it's moving to a new location. His bike is definitely a standout!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts