Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these BMC filters?

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/index.asp?IDLang=0

I will not use a K&N filter after my last 2 experiences. No, I didn't over oil and they caused many MAF faults.

Saying that, I realize that more air = more debris, so I may just stay OEM. Just wondering if the BMC's are any better than the K&N's?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I know nothing of BMC but again it is an oiled filter. At the dealership I hang out at they love oiled filters. Mainly because of the money made from replacing map sensors.

If you want better airflow on the bike cut the snorkel on the intake, and cut out the metal spark arrestor. These two things will help with airflow. Cutting the snorkel will allow the incoming air to use more of the filter, and cutting the spark arrestor will allow more air to flow. OnD did the spark arrestor thing, I don't recall who cut the snorkel.

Those would be your best bet. And stick with a non-oiled filter.

My $.02

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent!

I've yet to have a need to take the tank off, but now I do.
Thanks.;)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Its the oil that gets onto the MAF and causes the issues. Here at the Porsche dealer we steer clear of them as they screw up the MAF on the Porsches.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what does MAF sensor contamination have to do with our bikes?

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
OND I was kinda trying to figure that out myself.

And for the record (block you ears for this Don;)) I have been runnning a K&N filter for about 40,000kms with my race can and off road tune and never had a problem.

My Sprint has 61,000 very hard kilometres on it and no dramas, I think you boys could be getting just a little carried away here.

And I do not believe my dealer has experienced all these faults some of you mention either but I will check today if I have time.

And yes I know the K&N lets some dirt particles in so don't even think about giving me the lecture. Keep 'em well oiled and clean and they work.

I have also owned at least two Hondas that I did over 100,000kms on these filters and they were hard kms not commuting etc.
Oh and that was with no faults.

maybe I am just a luck man?:confused:

DaveM:)

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I had a BMC filter fitted to my RS last major service. Only done 5,000K since then so I am not sure as to the positive (or negative) attributes yet.

Performance increases are reported but I had mine done in conjunction with the 18T front sprocket so it is hard to tell.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I pulled a BMC filter out of my mates Sprint 1050 and couldn't believe the amount of dirt allowed to pass through on to the clean side of the airbox. :eek:

The stock filter with the OND mod in my opinion is the way to go. More flow and better filtration than an oiled filter;)

Not convinced that opening up the snorkel helps. I think it is plausible that Triumph deliberately directed the airflow so that the crud builds up in one part of the filter leaving the rest to breath better over the life of the filter. There's a challenge for the mythbusters on the forum!:D

My $0.05 worth

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Do you know that the K&N and the BMC are great filters?
I use Blackstone Labs oil analysis on my bikes- they can tell you if the air and oil filters are working by the amount of certain contaminants in your oil. My son's Sprint (19,000 miles on BMC filter) is doing very well on this score. My Bonneville as well as my new Tiger are both reporting excellent filtration by oil and air filters (both K&N). What the hell are these people talking about?? I worked in a Porsche repair shop for awhile and the owner hated K&N filters because he could not make any money on them. Have you priced a Porsche air filter lately?? I don't care what the Porsche folks do or think. I respect them but who cares. They are usually more full of crap than a constipated cow.My stuff works for me and I KNOW it works. The rest is baloney. I like the BMC and so does Ferrari-they use them. Most everybody in racing uses K&N of some type or another -in desert races they use a foam pre- wrap similar to the foam around the paper element on my B&S 19 HP lawn slasher. I have water resistant covers for my K&N filters on my Bonnie if it rains too hard. If you had paper filters running exposed like that the engine would shut down-(no airbox).
I have had K&N filters in a Cadillac, Fords, Chevys, Olds, Hondas-lots of cars and bikes back to 1975, Mitsubishi, Briggs and Stratton, Yamaha-kart and cycle engines,Suzukis,
Kawasakis, and maybe several more I cannot remember. They all performed without ANY problems whatsoever to some very high mileages. That's all folks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what does MAF sensor contamination have to do with our bikes?
I wasnt implying that our bikes have MAF sensors (didnt know actually), just saying that I have had those issues in the past (on cars). I switched back to paper and no troubles.

Dave - I've ran K&Ns before with no issues as well, but lately it appears something "may" have changed? Out of the box, both K&N's fouled both my Subaru and Toyota with in 2 weeks. I removed, cleaned and lightly re-oiled. Soon after, more MAF troubles. Maybe I 'm just the unlucky one? :D

Anyway, didnt mean to start a war. I think we all are aware the "reported" pros and cons of non-oem filters. I was just thinking about trying something new.

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
I wasnt implying that our bikes have MAF sensors (didnt know actually), just saying that I have had those issues in the past (on cars). I switched back to paper and no troubles.

Dave - I've ran K&Ns before with no issues as well, but lately it appears something "may" have changed? Out of the box, both K&N's fouled both my Subaru and Toyota with in 2 weeks. I removed, cleaned and lightly re-oiled. Soon after, more MAF troubles. Maybe I 'm just the unlucky one? :D

Anyway, didnt mean to start a war. I think we all are aware the "reported" pros and cons of non-oem filters. I was just thinking about trying something new.
Don't worry mate I am just stirring the pot!:D

If Donski was on at the moment he would be bashing me about my K & N!!!!!:p:p

but we are good mates so no worries.

DaveM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts