Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the bluetooth cell phone accessories that are made for motorcycle helmets? What brands would you recommend?

Don't get on my case about the dangers of riding while on the phone. I always pull over to talk; i just hate taking my helmet off to answer the call.

- David

[ This message was edited by: russd01 on 2006-12-14 09:13 ]

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2006-12-14 09:01, russd01 wrote:

Don't get on my case about the dangers of riding while on the phone. I always pull over to talk; i just hate taking my helmet off to answer the call.

- David
Do what I do. Turn the phone off. That way it never rings and I never have to pull over. I ride to get away from stuff like phone calls. I just take the phone along for emergencies and to let my wife know when I'm coming home.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Raproe, I'm with you. No phone, clock, radio or anything.
I don't even want an oil temperature gauge. :cool:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I say if you can hear your cell phone ring while your riding your mufflers aren't loud enough.

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
I'm with the others: I ride to get away from that stuff. That's why I have a Bonneville without a lot of ***** on it, just the clocks and some idiot lights.

Having said that, I did just see an ad in the january Motorcyclist for a Nolan (I think) bluetooth helmet. It seems to have the widgetry built in.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sadly, gentlemen, there are an exponentially inreasing number of us who are in professions where not being accessable 24/7 is considered unacceptable. Welcome to the 21st century.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2006-12-15 12:48, bonnienewbie wrote:
Sadly, gentlemen, there are an exponentially inreasing number of us who are in professions where not being accessable 24/7 is considered unacceptable. Welcome to the 21st century.
I've been there and done that. Now I eat pills twice a day for my high blood pressure and its still only barely under control. I just buried my cousin who was also a corporate guy and only got to retire for about six months. In the end, it just isn't worth it. If you can't find some time to relax without constant harassment you will be joining me in line at the pharmacy (or worse). Chuck the phone and ride.

·
Registered
711 Posts
russ, I feel your pain, but +1 BIG TIME Raproe's comment. Forget the stress for a moment, how many times do we complain of a cager not paying attention due to cell phones.

Put it on vibrate in your pocket and then you will have to pull over to get it out and check caller id. I wouldn't dare get on your case about the dangers of split attention, especially in heavier city/town traffic. I am just honored to know someone that is so important that they can't be away from a phone for twenty minutes. What do you do when you take a shower, shi* and shave, keep the phone on speaker!!!!???

+1 raproe

Ride safe, Merry Christmas
BobW

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I agree with the comments about avoiding stress, etc. However, I am retired and can't remember what stress is anymore. :-D If I am expecting one of my kids to call and I don't want to delay my daily ride any longer, I just put the cell phone thing on auto answer and plug it into my Starcom 1 motorcycle communications system. I ride and listen to my music and IF or When they call, I simply start talking and they can't even tell I'm on the bike unless I stop at a stop sign and run the rpms up pretty good through the gears. Starcom automatically mutes the music when I get a call.

I have only done this once during the past two years...don't think I would do it if I were riding in a big city...I ride out in the sticks on two-lane country roads...lot less stress whatever that is. :-D

Larry

·
Registered
66 Posts
Russ,

I'll agree with the replies that if I'm on my bike, talking on the phone is the last thing I really want to be doing. But, in the real world, we all have them and at times "need" them.

Here's where I might get some flack, but I'll put in my 1cent worth anyway. I made a mount under my instrument cluster for my Ipod. Ran a miniplug extension under my tank and have it popped up where the tank meets the seat. I wear earbuds and run the cable through my jacket and plug it in at the seat. I would imagine you might do the same with a phone earbud. Might have trouble finding an extension, but maybe get a small tank bag with a clear map pocket so you wouldn't need it. At least if the phone is visible, you can see the caller ID and tell if you need to stop in the first place.

Are your calls so important that your ride needs to be interrupted?

Not trying to be a smartass with that last comment, more just giving you a question to think about.. Good luck whatever you do and ride safe..

-Markus

[ This message was edited by: bluesock943 on 2006-12-15 21:25 ]

·
Registered
204 Posts
There are so many blue tooth sets available. I like the ones from Nokia as they usually match the charger the phones use. We get all the tiny and nifty ones here and not the type that cover your cheek or stick out over your face. The problem with blue tooth or mic's to be precise is the wind. I would therefore humbly suggest reverting to old style wires because the mic can be placed on the neck away from the wind. No matter how you do it, the wind and ambient noise will make it pretty awful for any of the people trying to have a conversation with you. Until the technology picks up, I'd stick to making calls when you're in a quiet place. But if you are an emergency worker, waiting for your wife to give birth or person who needs to be contacted then get a secretarial service to go with the plan. This way callers can leave a message and you can see it in text.
Whatever you do, focus on riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys we are an official site sponsor who sells and distributes the Cardo Scala Rider line of products. We also do the MOMO Design products if you have seen the banner ad. The Cardo Bluetooth solution is really top of the Motorcycle world right now. They just came out with units that can give you FM radio or Intercom capabilities, pretty amazing and high quality stuff for a reasonable price. Check out our website at Benchmark Helmets and find out for yourself. Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nolan and Motorola both make bluetooth for helmets. If I were in the market, the Nolan would get my vote since they're already in the helmet market and it should integrate well. If you don't mind being wired, several intercom makers have cel input (my Chatterbox for example).

Of course you could follow the advice of everyone who gave you an opinion you didn't ask for and just not consider the possibility.

·
Registered
47 Posts
One more thought for you.. Oakley O Rokr and Thump sunglasses have earbuds and a microphone, all designed to hook up to your blue tooth phone. I was thinking about something like that for when I'm supposed to be on call but the lure of the open road is too great to deny. Haven't tested for fit inside the helmet though....

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use the Chatterbox system for music and talking bike-to-bike with my wife. I'm pretty sure it comes with a jack for cell phone use, although I haven't tried. (My Predator pipes are too loud for that.)

The downside to the Chatterbox is the wiring, it's a PITA. The upside is that when you want, or need, to change helmets you just pull out the headset and put it in a different helmet. I'm leery of paying a lot for a bluetooth helmet and dropping it or getting into a wreck and then it's done.

Steve

J

·
0 Posts
On 2007-01-14 15:30, jjgoodwin3 wrote:
Nolan and Motorola both make bluetooth for helmets. If I were in the market, the Nolan would get my vote since they're already in the helmet market and it should integrate well. If you don't mind being wired, several intercom makers have cel input (my Chatterbox for example).
I bought the Nolan helmet with the intent of buying the accesories to make it bluetooth to my phone and also listen to ipod.

After contacting their customer services with a few questions, it appears that it is not very compatable with other services.. ie how do I communicate with my pillion... get them a Nolan helmet!!

Can I use a 2 way radio to talk to other riders... no use bluetooth via their Nolan helmet.

I eventually gave up and got a Autocom.. they have a bluetooth option coming out in 2007

Jazz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts