Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, rather than hi-jacking a somewhat similar thread, I thought I would make a new one and also post some pics of my latest mod. I bought a new pair of new '68' series Triumph sidecovers (in ivory) with the intent to paint them black and add some lightly customized graphics.

This way, I could do my mods without destroying my original Caspian blue sidecovers. I sanded the ivory covers with 400 grit to roughen it up a bit so the new paint would grip.

I used a rattlecan 'OSHA' black lacquer, with pretty good results. I sprayed each cover with 2-3 light coats. Then, I applied the custom vinyl graphics (900 CR for Cafe Racer) in metallic silver to each side cover. Then, I applied a few light coats of clear lacquer over the cover and vinyl graphics.

I allowed 24 hrs to pass, and then used 400 grit, then 2000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper to knock down the high spots.

Followed that up with 3M polishing compound hand-rubbed in for several minutes, then some 3M Fiberglass glaze remover, then some Meguiar's scratch & swirl remover. I then used some Mother's Syn-Wax for a final protective coat.

The sheen in 'OK'...I will go in again with some more swirl remover or polishing compound until it really shines. I think I tried to wet sand too soon. I usually wait a week and have a lot better results, with a lot less work.

Anyway, since these side covers were there to be modified, I drilled 2 holes to mount my 'faux' oil cap...it mimics the look of the mid-sixties Bonneville oil-tank and cap. It was under $5.00 USD!

I hope these pics inspire those of you out there who want to modify their Thruxton or other Trump twin with something a little different.

I know most of the Bonnies have come with the black side covers, and I have always liked that styling retro-link to the old bikes.

See ya!

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
That is outstanding! I'm now shamed into doing something about the blue side covers on my 50th Anniv Bonnie. How about some details on the oil cap, and the installation of it?

Dick

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Dick, thanks much! Here's a link to the push-in Chrome oil cap on ebay (street rod part):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260347219815&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

I just used a knife to trim away the rubber spigot under the cap so it would sit flat on top of the sidecover. Then, I drilled 2 small holes in the top front of the right sidecover 1.25" apart. I then used 2 sheet metal screws to attach the cap to the sidecover.

The underside of the chrome cap is all thick rubber, with plenty of bite for two small metal screws. Pretty easy, and cheap to do! The '60's Bonnies had the cap up at the front of the oil tank. By comparison, my BSA 441, and my Honda 750K have the cap at the rear of the tank.

Have fun!
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Excellent! I happen to have a couple of spare oil caps for my '66s, but they may be needed some day and I don't want to molest them. I 'll hit e-bay and imitate your innovative work if you don't mind.

Dick

·
Registered
474 Posts
:laughhard: It doesn't look right please post pictures with the "faux" kick starter installed. Just kidding looks great.:D

·
30,527 Posts
Blight - looks really good man!

Have to admit when I read "faux oil cap" I cringed, but I like what you have done there. Nice graphics too!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blight - looks really good man!
Have to admit when I read "faux oil cap" I cringed, but I like what you have done there. Nice graphics too!
Thanks prop...I fiddled around with some different graphics, but just decided to go with an original style font and just modified the text a little. I got the pair of stickers custom made for $27. The OEM Thruxton stickers on BikeBandit's site are $22 each! If I ever get tired of it I can sand it, repaint and apply a new or different vinyl graphic for under $30 USD!

Anyway...wasn't sure how the faux cap would be received. Most people that see the bike wouldn't know it was 'fake'. We all do of course! I think it makes that side cover look more like the old style oil tank... more purposeful? (is that a word?)

I might even fit one of those 'OIL LEVEL' decals on it just above the Thruxton graphic! I think I might have an extra one in a decal set out in my garage somewhere. These guys have some nice British bike decals:

http://www.domiracer.com/decals_british.html

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Blight,

Your bike inspires me. Just when I think I am happy I look at other bikes and get the urge to change.....

I like that you went with the gold pinstripes to separate the blue from the silver.

For your side covers if you want them to gloss up a bit more might I suggest not starting with 400 grit on the clear. Start at 1000 then go to 1500 then use a swirl remover to polish it up.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have to ask if that is a Norman/Hyde steering damper, and what is your opinion on it's affectiveness? I would like to calm the wiggles in the twisties.
BTW I love what you've done to your Thrux.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Oil

Very nice take on the faux oil tank, it's incredibly subtle but adds so much detail and retro look it's amazing.....You would have to know the bikes well to catch it but it does make the bike look instantly 60'ish!
Good Job, can't wait to see what else you come up with.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blight, For your side covers if you want them to gloss up a bit more might I suggest not starting with 400 grit on the clear. Start at 1000 then go to 1500 then use a swirl remover to polish it up.
Thanks, and that's a good tip. I'm sorta lazy so starting with 400 usually works well for me. This time it scratched the clear coat a little (still soft paint!) and took a lot more time with the 2000 grit to smooth it out. I think the 1500 would get me there faster and still be as good or better base to buff out.

I'm gonna wait a few days for the paint to cure some more and try the 1500 grit to remove some scratches, then buff her out. Thanks again!

I have to ask if that is a Norman/Hyde steering damper, and what is your opinion on it's effectiveness? I would like to calm the wiggles in the twisties.
BTW I love what you've done to your Thrux.
Hi, that is a Shindy Daytona dampener and it does settle the front end down quite a bit. Also seems to reduce the feeling of the frame flexing and head weave in crosswinds, twisty roads, and grooved road surfaces. Less $$ than some of the other units out there, but still a high quality Japanese damper. They make round body and oval (like mine).Thanks for the nice words too!!

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts