Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks - any ideas out there. My pipes have taken a battering through the winter and don't look to clever - I have heard of ceramic coatings on the inside but wonder if anyone out there has gone down this route. I know it sort of goes with the classic territory (Bluing that is) can anything be done to minimalise or erradicate it. Not being a scientist, I need advice. Does Blue Away work are there alternatives?

Is there any kind of heat sink that will cut down on blueing?

Thanks for reading.

PS Any Uk riders planning to hit the Bonnie 5oth from London - If so drop me a line:(

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I like my blue pipes...my blue has past the cross over and is creeping up on the cans quick...GO BLUE!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
One of mine is a lot bluer than the other, checked balance swapped needles and jets over still the same. guess I'm just halfassed hardcore.

·
Registered
484 Posts
One of mine is a lot bluer than the other, checked balance swapped needles and jets over still the same. guess I'm just halfassed hardcore.
ahahah nahh, from one isde you look kool and blend in with the crowd and then on the other side your really hardcore

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for reply

I think some people will always have different viewpoints on things like bluing etc - I personally love the old classic (Clean Chrome) look but feel but the quality of the chrome on the exhaust headers may be inferior as the lustre has also disappeared (No! I do not use Autosol!!!) - (Preds, still look amazing though) I took my Thrux back to the dealer to comment and he said "that is typical", so no joy there!

Keep the comments coming, it's great to keep the debate alive... Be great if someone from Hinckley would take a moment post a comment here, on the subject - If they ceramic treated exhautsts then bluing could be contained and if the "Purists" so desired could change pipes to encourage bluing. Maybe Triumph after reading some comments will start bluing the pipes before they leave the factory, that would end my discussion instantly!

Let's be honest, this is an amazing machine - we are "History in the making".

Stay upright, Eddie

·
Registered
36 Posts
blue is good

I like the blueing on the pipes. Thats the way they should look, that is if you ride your bike and not keep it parked in the garage. As long as it doesn't rust the blue is good in my book.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good idea swapping jets one cylinder is hotter/leaner than the other, check the spark plugs for differences too. If it's not too major probably not a problem but one side may just have better flow that could be corrected with some porting. You using the stock or a modded airbox?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mine started silver, then copper, blue, purple, and finally almost black. Cleaned them back to a nice brushed silver and now going a beaut. copper again. Like the copper color and contrasts with the gold touches on my black Thruxton. This is a Tech 2>1 with stainless steel headers.

Should I be worried or just enjoy the color changes....like the seasons of the year? :confused:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
blue is good

I like the blueing on the pipes. Thats the way they should look, that is if you ride your bike and not keep it parked in the garage. As long as it doesn't rust the blue is good in my book.
What a load of BS I have owned and rode British bikes for over 45 years now and none of my bikes have blue header pipes and I clock up a lot of miles on all my bikes, my Norton I have owned since new in 1976 has well over 180k miles on it, no blue pipes, my old Triumphs never blued and my 2013 Thruxton started to blue the first week till I blocked the AI system then no more blue, it has 40k miles on it and my 2016 Thruxton has no blue but I did the Meerkat and opened up my stock pipes still no blue, blue header pipes is just not right.
Production line chroming is fast and lots of short cuts done as chroming is very expensive these days and one of the reasons chrome exhaust have so many problems, good quality chrome work takes time in prep work, labour cost and how long they spend in the tanks, don't get that when they have a big run on the production line.

Ashley

1 - 10 of 10 Posts