Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my '66 bonnie started today after a cold winter[5th kick]. I am noticing that my right pipe seems to be getting blue but not the left one. The plugs are burning the same! Is this normal or what?

·
Registered
845 Posts
First clean out the carbs for kicks, as one carb may be slighly off (lean). OR the timing may be off in that cylinder. Points or EI?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well one cylinder got hotter than the other. Did you just run it or did you take it for a ride? If you just sat and let it idle you may have started to overheat it. You need to get it moving down the road to get an accurate plug reading.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Put about 20 miles on it, I will check the timing, thanks for the input.
Jaybird
If it still has the single breaker plate I'd replace it with a >68 breaker plate ass'y to ensure the timing is correct on both cylinders. Just a couple of degrees off make a difference on these bikes, especially with today's gas.

Save the single plate breaker for posterity - I have it on one of my '66's just to keep me in practice fiddling with the point gap to get both cylinders spot on :>) - but every time I set the timing on it I swear I'm going to install a dual plate point ass'y

Dick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts