Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to set them; r turn them off? They don't come on in a useful manner at all.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to make a mod to turn them into a gear selection indicator. 6 lights, 6 gears, how hard can it be??

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can set them to do whatever you like. It is in the owners manual. I set mine when I first bought it.
Well **** who reads that lo,jk thanks

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well **** who reads that lo,jk thanks

You need to turn the bike on, in neutral at standstill, press one of the buttons (cant remember which one, but its the one that doesnt move between the 2 trip modes) till you get to setup, then press the other button to enter setup. Once you're in there kind of follow your nose with the buttons till you get to shift mode and turn it to off.

This is one of those cases where reading the book is actually quicker than trying to explain it over the internet sorry...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to make a mod to turn them into a gear selection indicator. 6 lights, 6 gears, how hard can it be??
I rather like your idea! That would be an excellent option to have. I will confess that I cannot be bothered playing around with all the functionality of Triumph's display ............ I'm far too busy just enjoying a naked riding experience ......... to be pressing buttons and watching electronic readouts.

·
Registered
356 Posts
They're very distractingly bright, especially at night. They'd be pretty irritating lit up all the time as a gear indicator.

Yes, yes, you could put translucent tape or something over them. Or you could just get a real indicator.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It isn't too bad, just look through the owners manual. The gear thing would be cool but very distracting at night as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The first thing I did when I bought Trevor 18 months ago was turn the bloody things off! You don't need blue flashing lights to tell you when to change gear - no matter where you set them to flash in the rev range. It's just bloody WRONG! You listen to and feel your engine and decide when it is best to change gear for what you are trying to achieve! Gimmicks like this should be banned because they are just not helpful.

...I do, however, like the idea of a gear indicator. Despite knowing my bike well enough to equate road conditions with engine revs and miles per hour to know what gear I'm in, I still find I could sometimes do with knowing for certain when I'm shifting down through the very low gears for certain energetic cornering frollicks - it makes all the difference to accidently knock it down just that one too many for my current velocity, to make it slightly embarrassing or dangerous. How many times have we been poodling along for a few miles and realised we have an extra cog in the box to play with as well?! It shouldn't happen, but it does!...:eek:

·
Registered
90 Posts
obviously against the grain here, but I like the blue lights. I have mine "incrementally" light up as I approach 10K rpm. That way I know when I'm near red lining. And with the Arrow map, the rev limiter starts kicking in around 9500 or a little lower. That means of course that I don't see them unless I'm ... riding in a spirited fashion :)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I like them too, I don't necessarily use them as to when I shift, but I just set them close to the rev limiter so I can get an extra heads up that I am close, in first it gets there pretty quick. I agree that it varies based on how you are driving the bike but it can still be useful.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like them too, I don't necessarily use them as to when I shift, but I just set them close to the rev limiter so I can get an extra heads up that I am close, in first it gets there pretty quick. I agree that it varies based on how you are driving the bike but it can still be useful.
I do the same thing. It's a good warning as the rev limiter can be fairly abrupt and my shifting ear sometimes defaults back to my old I-4 days.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm with RRrider, I have them set at 9500 rpm's and they only light up when I'm pushing the bike. It's a nice heads up for me before I hit the rev limiter. As for needing a gear display I could see that being helpful for some but I make it a point to always know what gear I am in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yo MORVEGIL! It's CTtriple. I didn't know you bought a S3, thats badass! Lets go for a ride ASAP!

And to answer your question yeah you can change when the lights turn on and can even disable them all together. I only know the procedure for the pre 2010 models though.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yo MORVEGIL! It's CTtriple. I didn't know you bought a S3, thats badass! Lets go for a ride ASAP!

And to answer your question yeah you can change when the lights turn on and can even disable them all together. I only know the procedure for the pre 2010 models though.
Haha awesome sure man. When you free? Yah I told you I love the triples...I couldn't resist the r

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here in the uk i have set mine to start comming on at 80mph, and the first red one comes on at 100mph, as over that it is a ban for 3 months,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts