Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look I like the blue, I'll wear it with pride, but are they suppose to be blue all the way to the second bend in the pipe? I see a lot of pics of blue just at the heads mine are changing color all the way to the second bent (closest to ground) where there is a connecting pipe is... this normal?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Look I like the blue, I'll wear it with pride, but are they suppose to be blue all the way to the second bend in the pipe? I see a lot of pics of blue just at the heads mine are changing color all the way to the second bent (closest to ground) where there is a connecting pipe is... this normal?
I don't think so...

You are either running far too lean, or far too rich - both can cause bluing. Are you allowing the bike to sit at idle for long periods?

Any mods? You don't list any.

Is Air Injection removed and plugged?

·
Registered
387 Posts
My guess is that you have a carbed bike and you have not removed the AI. Many of the bikes I've seen with AI still functioning have had blued pipes down to the crossovers. That is one of the prime reasons many remove the AI and rejet early on with the carbed bikes. So far this has not been a problem with my EFI bike.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So am i too late, are the pipes ruined? I do have carbs only 650 miles on bike. Bringing it in for 800mi service next week gonna ask abut removing AI. So am i too late?

·
Registered
387 Posts
So am i too late?
I don't know. We will have to wait for responses from those who have had a similar experience. I know there are several threads on this site about the issue. You could try searching for blue and exhaust. IIRC some members have gone after their pipes with various chemicals and abraisives and a lot of elbow grease with mixed results. Others have had the pipes powder coated or wrapped.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
What exactly is all the fuss about blue pipes for? I think they look just fine. Better blue than rusted all to hell.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly is all the fuss about blue pipes for? I think they look just fine. Better blue than rusted all to hell.
I like blue pipes too, mine are going all the way down to the crossovers though.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Mine are blued that far, as they were on my first '07 Triumph, as they were on my Meriden Triumphs. Not to worry, unless it really bothers you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My pipes were blue down to the 2nd bend then I cleaned them with blue job and barkeepers friend and 0000 steel wool. Then I did the ai removal. blue/gold returns but no where close to what it was previously. Heres an early before pic and newer after pic, quite a difference

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
the pipes aren't runied! if you don;t like the blue, or dont want it to go any further just remove the AI. i really dont see why so many people make such a big deal about blue pipes. to me it actually does the bike justice and looks like you actually ride the darn thing. something about pipes that aren't blue give it a sterile look, like it's never been ridden. i personally would just remove the AI, and dont have the dealer do it. it's such an easy fix, and the kit to do it is less that $25. learn something about your bike in the process and save some $$$ while doing it. the blueing is purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
524 Posts
thanks, i actually had a scrambler before the thrux, i really like the scrambler too but where I live there are no legal place to ride off road, I did take it down a few fire roads but after the ride lasted 10 min every sat, i needed something that wa all street.

The caspian blue is a nice color,

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
you can buy a can of blue job if you dont mind a bunch of work it will make your pipes look like new but its alot of work.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Obviously, the "Blue Job" stuff doesn't permanently fix the problem, but...

As Mike so rightly sez, it takes a LOT of elbow grease with the BJ stuff, and results are... mixed if anything - lot's of prior threads on the merits of this stuff. Some love it, some hate it.

I believe the white powdery BJ stuff is more expensive per gram than hard drugs, so perhaps that might be an option - you won't care anymore! (Just kidding).

Don't, repeat don't get P'O'd and start using abrasives to speed things up - you'll just wear off the thin chrome plating. Get a six-pack, some good tunes, and be patient.

First off, if indeed you do have the AI still hooked up - remove it and plug with the right kit.

Check also for any vacuum leaks, or air leaks near the intakes, might be leaning out the mix.

Now, if you remove the Blueing, it probably will come back, but more likely six inches or so Vs the way it is now.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My pipes were blue down to the 2nd bend then I cleaned them with blue job and barkeepers friend and 0000 steel wool. Then I did the ai removal. blue/gold returns but no where close to what it was previously. Heres an early before pic and newer after pic, quite a difference

Cool looking bike! I have to say I like the blued pipes better (that way I don't have to worry about mine!)

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
If you use the blue job and do the work, how often must it be repeated? In other words, does it last a long time?
as gob said it wont last any longer then the pipes did new and its a high little can of powder its hard ass work to but its the only thing i found that would make them look new again.Its not a 5 min job.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts