Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have less than 1500kms on my 2007 Bonnie Black. I had the TORs installed with AI removal and supposedly jets done before I picked her up. Why are my pipes so blue??

http://www.triumphrat.net/albums/album843/alr.thumb.jpg[/IMG]

[ This message was edited by: bonnienewbie on 2007-01-08 15:57 ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
All part of the charm. I don't think you can avoid the blue no matter what you do.
Some people say that it is totally caused by the AI system, but I don't buy it. Just the composition and thickness of the headers, I think.

I love blue pipes-they just get more respect!

Paul

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Aaaaa... That is a beautiful blue.
I can still remember watching my pipes turn ,first a very
pretty yellow, then a very nice golden color, then the
beautiful blue.
You will learn to love the blue.
Bill

·
Registered
669 Posts
Blue is good, don't worry about it. Although yours are a lot more blue than mine. Hope to see you around this summer.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Bonnienewbie,

I know a LOT of people here really LUV their blue pipes!
Mine turned a combination of blue, gold and piss-colored yellow. :puke:

I hated it! And thought it looked cheap (sorry guys). The solution was found HERE.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any of you guys that hate your blue pipes, sell them to me!
Looking for a set of headers for a exhaust project.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Blue pipes save lives...don't they? I heard something like that a while back...

I notice you are in Canadada. Maybe the pipes are just cold and they'l turn a nice rosy pink once it warms up again...

Ah well, just kidding. Triumph pipes go blue. Seriously, I once heard a metallurgist say that metals just can't resist the temptation to go back to their natural (oxidized) state. It's the way it is.

Enjoy your bike. It's a beauty.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Our late friend CaspianThruxton told me that the trick was to get a blue Thruxton to match the pipes... :wink:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome to the greatest argument since Tastes Great vs Less Filling! Here is my solution from my side of the fence.
and where they came from:Raask Headers Remember it's sanity over vanity.

·
Registered
985 Posts
On 2007-01-08 15:52, bonnienewbie wrote:
I have less than 1500kms on my 2007 Bonnie Black. I had the TORs installed with AI removal and supposedly jets done before I picked her up. Why are my pipes so blue??

It's obvious that you're still a bit on the lean side some where on your carb set up... There are a lot of factors that determine the air/fuel mixture, and therefore exhaust gas temps... and that determines the extent of bluing... You'll always have some... but when it extends all the way down the header and through the bottom bend... You're lean... Well the Bonnie is anyway...

My set up: Snorkle removed, Uni Filter, 130 mains, stock needles and "air bleed screws" 3 1/2 turns out on left carb and 3 1/4 turns out on the right carb...

Bluing about one or two inches below the first bend... Straw color below that (indicates a slightly rich (cooler) condition).... :cool:

·
Registered
683 Posts
On 2007-01-09 06:44, SCbonneville wrote:
On 2007-01-08 15:52, bonnienewbie wrote:

It's obvious that you're still a bit on the lean side some where on your carb set up... There are a lot of factors that determine the air/fuel mixture, and therefore exhaust gas temps... and that determines the extent of bluing... You'll always have some... but when it extends all the way down the header and through the bottom bend... You're lean... Well the Bonnie is anyway...

My set up: Snorkle removed, Uni Filter, 130 mains, stock needles and "air bleed screws" 3 1/2 turns out on left carb and 3 1/4 turns out on the right carb...

Bluing about one or two inches below the first bend... Straw color below that (indicates a slightly rich (cooler) condition).... :cool:
SCBonneville...we got to get together for a cup of coffee, or a ride up to Ridge sometime man.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
From the photo there are some hand prints there. Mine did the same on the left pipe where the mech grasbbed it while working. I always clean the pipes when done work to avoid any more hand prints! :???:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep, double walled. When the spring arrives I'll post some new snaps with some discoloration. It's on about the first 3 inches out of the head and it's a cool purple with gold. Wouldn't trade them for anything, couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I believe my bike is currently running pretty lean and the blueing on the pipes isn't bad at all. All I did was polish the pipes with Mother's metal polish twice and in 1300 miles the blue hasn't creeped back. When I first got the bike, it had about 2200 miles and the blueing only went to about the mid point of the first bend in the headers.

Anyone notice if polishing the headers while they're warm makes a difference?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts