Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I blew an oil line on my 2004 Thruxton. Pulled away from a red light and felt something hot on my leg. Looked down and there was oil everywhere and smoke coming off the engine. I pulled it over and noticed that the oil line coming from the oil cooler to the right cylinder head didn't look right. When I touched it it moved freely on the fitting so I'm pretty sure that this is the culprit.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The banjo bolt connector might just be loose. Oil there is under a bit of pressure and a little can go a long way making things looks a lot worse than they are. Try tightening the banjo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may should have included that this is not the stock oil line. My oil cooler was relocated when the original owner installed a custom fairing. Also, the fitting I am indicating is on the cylinder head. The hose will just slide back and forth on the stem of the metal fitting.

Can I just buy a hose and some clamps or do I have to get that banjo like pressed into a new hose or something?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I may should have included that this is not the stock oil line. My oil cooler was relocated when the original owner installed a custom fairing. Also, the fitting I am indicating is on the cylinder head. The hose will just slide back and forth on the stem of the metal fitting.

Can I just buy a hose and some clamps or do I have to get that banjo like pressed into a new hose or something?
Clamps are not really suitable for those hydraulic lines. The fittings are crimped on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I BELIEVE I fixed the problem. The fittings are not crimped on, the lines were secured by some sort of clamp. I couldn't find one that was the same so I improvised. There were two of these clamps on the fitting, one slid off but the other didn't seem inclined to. So, I a regular pipe clamp on either side of it and tightened them down. Once I ran for a while all the oil cooked out of the header wrap and it quit smoking. I still find a little oil running down the cases but I believe it's just oil that was sprayed in to crack and crevices working it's way out. Hopefully.

In the mean time, the bike is running fine and I haven't seen the oil level drop so I'll just keep an eye on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts