Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year all! Mine could have started off better, on my way to a Polar Bear ride this morning - but not to be. The symptoms are:

Started fine, pulled out the choke and fired right up then seemed to be running on only one cylinder.

Pulled the plugs, right plug really wet, left plug not wet.

Changed plugs and proceeded for a few blocks and it became apparent that I've only got like one cylinder. Anyway I barely get back home, I restart it and I see engine oil is squirting out of the exhaust balance tube. This can't be good.

It was running like a top the last time I rode it which was Friday 12/28. I have 14,870 miles on this 2004 Bonneville Black.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Franco

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hardly sounds like a blown engine, a stuck carb float continually fouling the plug in that cylinder. You've probably diluted the oil substantially with gas now though. That won't do bearing life any good, nor cylinder walls....

Pull the air filter, see if there is any gas pooling in the bottom, another sign of a stuck float.

Might try tapping the carb with the plastic handle of a screw driver. Sometimes that will dis lodge a stuck float. Sometimes it requires dis assembly to remove trash from the needle and seat.

Let us know haow you fare, but change the oil and filter, SOON.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Franco, are you sure it's oil coming out of the cross over or could it be gas mixed with exhaust soot ?

if the spill is still wet, hit it with a match and see if it burns, oil won't gas will.

probably something simpler, Kliff has a good suggestion 'bout the stuck float, a buddy of mine with an '06 had a backfire that was strong eough to blow a vacuum cap off the manifold and to stick the float open. Whacked it with the handle of a screw driver & it was cured.

Luck Mate!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kliff/CYNCRZR:

Ya, I just spoke with a buddy of mine that races cars and he's saying what your saying about it being gas and not oil.

I just fired the engine again and it is indeed gas, not oil. I'm going to check for spark and pull the air filter. After that I'll check for a stuck float.

I'll get back to ya.

Thanks,

Franco

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kliff/CYNCRZR:

Problem solved! Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction. I checked the air filter, no sign of gas there. Next I pulled the right side float bowl cover (the rich side) and laying in the bottom of the bowl was my PILOT JET!

So that's it - put the pilot jet back in and it's running like a top once again.

Thanks much,

Franco

P.S. This discussion group rules!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I can't count the number of times when a member has had a problem and with the help of fellow members, the the issue has been resolved quickly. This is why this board is so great. I only wish my knowledge base was large enough to contribute. Keep up the good work guys/gals!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
On 2007-01-01 13:22, franco wrote:
kliff/CYNCRZR:

Problem solved! Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction. I checked the air filter, no sign of gas there. Next I pulled the right side float bowl cover (the rich side) and laying in the bottom of the bowl was my PILOT JET!

So that's it - put the pilot jet back in and it's running like a top once again.

Thanks much,

Franco

P.S. This discussion group rules!
That must of felt great. Seeing that thing sitting in the
bottom bowl.
Finding then fixing the problem. I bet it feel a lot better
then a blown engine.
Bill

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Gosh, I thought this thread was gonna be about someone putting a super charger on their bonnie. :-D :-D

Larry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts