Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've been seriously giving thought to getting my rims powder-coated black. I've loved that look every time I've seen it. Problem is I cannot now recall where I've seen it. Which member albums sport Bonnies or Thruxtons with black wheels? Your help is appreciated.

Mancha

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Mancha,

thruxstone did his:

[ This message was edited by: johnyC on 2007-02-22 11:35 ]

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. That last one is Thruxtone's. Bonafide doesn't seem to have an album. Wish I could see more pics of his bike.

I also found Pepe's version of black rims:

I've taken off my wheels to send them out for powder-coating. You know how long I've been wanting to do this?! Amazing that I'm finally getting around to it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand that the stock Thruxton spokes aren't junk, although, yes, the stock Bonneville ones may be.

I had to have a shop take apart the hubs (just couldn't ram the bearings out), but hope to take apart the spokes myself, lovingly wash them, tag them, and set them aside for later reassembly. The local shop will relace the wheels after I've had them powdercoated.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
On 2007-02-23 11:36, OhioSpeedmaster wrote:
Question;
When you guys had that done did you have to remove the spokes yourselves or did the place you had that done do that for you?
I had a local M/C shop do mine. From disassembly to re-assembly. I just dropped my bike off and picked it up 3 days later. They also did Thrux-ton-up's lacing/truing his new choppa wheels. :-D The guy that did the powdercoating came by the M/C shop, picked up the wheels/hubs, coated them, and dropped them back off 2 days later. The price was $397.00 for labor and coating combined (just the coating was $200). My stock spokes were re-used - owner said there was nothing wrong with them and saw no need for me to buy a set of Buchanan spokes. I also had a set sport demon tires put on at the same time.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2007-02-23 14:21, sweatmachine wrote:
Mancha, did you look into anodizing them? since they're aluminum, it may be a lot more durable finish option althought I have no idea what it costs.
I've sort of halfheartedly looked into anodizing before, but didn't find anything local. I don't want to be sending these off anywhere. The powdercoating should be just fine, and because it's local I can do as much of the work as I can myself, and be in proximity to nag people when their part ain't getting done.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like the look of the black rim. Maybe Trimph will bring this out as an option on future models?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope not. That'll make the $350+ and time I put into turning mine black look kind'a dumb. :-D

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
On 2007-04-09 17:20, ntr1972 wrote:
I like the look of the black rim. Maybe Trimph will bring this out as an option on future models?
Rumor has it they're gonna offer them thru sixty8 series stuff and they'll cost $800.00 per wheel and will 'match' their seats ... however, the OEM black ones will be $200.00 a pair.

:-D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Rumor has it they're gonna offer them thru sixty8 series stuff and they'll cost $800.00 per wheel and will 'match' their seats ... however, the OEM black ones will be $200.00 a pair.

:-D
I LOL'd!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great looking pics guys!

Anyone have a recomendation on a good powdercoat Guy / Company who can do Rims and re-lace in Southern California? (LA/Ventura area??)

-TT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts