Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i bit the bullet today, i called the dealer in Chattanooga and told him (finally after several phone calls over the past week and a couple posts here) that i had settled on the black speedy. I am so excited that i cannot stand it. He opens at 0900 on Friday and i guarantee that i will be in the lot at 0830 busting at the seams. I really like the silver America, but once I really started looking at the black Speedy, I could not quit thinking about it. My best friend has a 2003 red / black Speedy - he and i have been talking triumphs and i said "hey man, i dont want you to think I am trying to copy off of you" and he replied....."I dont gve a S&^%, I just want to ride with you ( i sold my Honda Shadow Sabre last fall so i am obviously bikeless - atleast till Friday). I have read many great messages on here about the speedys and americas and cannot wait to be an official RAT!!! Another question i have is about break in period - what is the suggested break in guidelines??? I am sure I will be on here alot more - got mods in mind already once she gets broke in. Heck, even my wife is excited - she said she is lookign forward to getting some new Triumph clothing.......Thanks

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Before I even left the dealer I had read the owners handbook. The book tells you exactly how to break in you new Speedmaster. When your rings are new they don't seal very well and you get a lot of blow by from the combustion chamber. That heats up your rings so letting off the throttle gently will allow oil to be sucked up into the rings cooling and lubricating them. So I suggest letting off a lot varying your speed constantly. Don't forget to break in your brakes as well. Be easy on them for the first few days. Most of all enjoy your new Triumph Speedmaster. :upthumb:

[ This message was edited by: Bryan on 2006-04-18 17:33 ]

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Good on you! :razz: How good are you at going 60 hours without sleep -- because I doubt you will get any between now and Friday night, if then!

Breakin is a relative term. I would take it fairly easy until the first oil change at 500 miles. That doesn't mean go out on the highway and run it at a constant 50mph for 500 miles. That will do it a lot of harm since it will tend to seat the valves and rings in at only one rpm. Rather, run her at various speeds, up to about 65 or so, back off to a different speed after a few miles, etc. Ride her around town up and down through the gears, sometimes using very little throttle, sometimes a lot more. But I would stay at half throttle or less for the first couple hundred miles and no more than 3/4 throttle for the rest of the first 600. After that OCCASIONAL runs up to the rpm limit are OK. But, unless you want to have a short lived engine it is never a good idea to live at red line. If you are rich, do it. Otherwise, no.

Your bike won't really broken in for several thousand miles. For example, I got my Tbird at 5K and it was run by some dainty old owner (I'm old but I am not a dainty rider) and it was hardly broken in at all. Every thousand miles I noticed that she got smoother, quicker, and more intuitive to ride (Or was it me that was changing?). In any case by about 12,000 miles she was perfect -- and stayed that way until I totaled her a year later when I hit that deer.

Take it easy. Get used to the bike before you do any cocky macho ***** (theological term) and live to enjoy it all summer. Keep in mind that every study ever done indicates that the vast majority of serious motorcycle accidents occur within 6 months of 1) a new rider, or 2) a new bike.

Happy for you!!!

Monte :chug: (diet cherry Pepsi)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Good choice; let the good times roll. Breakin isn't as critical as it used to be with the lower tech engines of the past. Follow the suggestions above and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Way to go. Enjoy the Speedie!

One less TBA wannabe I have to contend with! HAH!

Welcome to the group.

:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts