Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine oil (Castrol 10w /40 4T part synthetic) seems to go black very quickly. I changed my oil about 2000k's ago and it seemed to go black very quickly. I've can't remember this happening on other bikes I've had. Has anyone else noticed this? I'am going to do another change as I have noticed that my dealer sold me part synthetic oil and as far as I am aware, it should be fully synthetic ?? Same problem with final drive oil too !! I dropped that out after 2000k's and it was black as! I'm new to Tigers is this normal?

There are no scary sounds coming from the engine but oil is cheap compared to the alternative.... any comments / advise appreciated please.:smile2:

·
Registered
696 Posts
I change mine every 5K with the Castrol Power RS Racing 4T full synth that Triumph recommends. I'ts been dirty brown like any other oil I've ever changed in a non diesel engine. It's not even dark brown let alone black. I changed my final drive @ 10K and it actually looked pretty good. I plan on continuing to change it every 10K miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jon, I'm going back to the Triumph dealer today and will get the fully synthetic Castrol (I don't know why they supplied part synthetic last time?) . The dirty brown color is pretty much closer to what I am seeing. Anyhow, lets see how it goes ! I have a long ride coming up at the weekend so that should tell. I don't know how often the previous owner maintained the bike as the service history is a little fragmented. I think I will try your service intervals.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks Jon, I'm going back to the Triumph dealer today and will get the fully synthetic Castrol (I don't know why they supplied part synthetic last time?) . The dirty brown color is pretty much closer to what I am seeing. Anyhow, lets see how it goes ! I have a long ride coming up at the weekend so that should tell. I don't know how often the previous owner maintained the bike as the service history is a little fragmented. I think I will try your service intervals.
If your dealer doesn't have it on hand you can get the oil on Amazon. I think I paid right around $6.00 a quart for it the last time I ordered. I use Mobil 1 synthetic LS 75/90 gear lube in the final drive. Available just about everywhere.

Some people think I'm crazy for changing every 5K. Triumph recommends every 10K, but I just can't do it. Clean oil & a fresh air filter are the 2 best thing a guy can do for long engine life. Don't get me started on Triumph's engineering to get to the air filter...:mad:

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,990 Posts
Aluminum engines will turn oil darker sooner. That's been my experience.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I think heat has something to do with it when I had a dyna my regular oil would go black (on the dipstick) in 700 miles, their SE syn about 1200 before a slimey green color, and Amsoil 1700 before going black! I posted on another forum how mechanical my bike sounds after a long, spirited ride even with decent oil after only 2000 miles and the unanimous reply was wear earplugs til 3k!!! i'm trying. The other thing you can do is send your oil to blackstone for analysis it's reasonable $20? I think, i've seen a copy of the report and will probably start using them myself.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Surprised final drive oil is black. I looked at mine after 10000 miles and it was as clean as if it hadn't been used. Engine oil turns dark pretty quickly, and I use full synthetic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts