Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best, or correct, way to secure the knee pads to the side of the gas tank on a 70 Bonneville? :headscratch

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
The original pads had a double sided tape applied to the pads. The paper backing was removed when you were ready to apply the pads to the tank

If I were doing it toady I would use 3M #3061 (www.walmart.com) or 3M #8061 (your local auto parts store)

Also check with your painter for suggestions

K

·
Registered
436 Posts
I found some new old stock pads here in Oh, flat checkered surface with original Triumph Logo in center. They went on clean & perfect with RTV silicon sealer/glue. The important thing about using RTV is that it holds its properties (adhesion) up to 400 degrees F.
Clean rubber surface with alcohol (Lavacol) before applying RTV with flat brush. Let the RTV breathe for about ten minutes, and stick em on. They can be removed with a lot of slow and patient pushing with a wood shim, or similar. BTW Do not use acetone anywhere near your bike, or anything that's rubber based. Some fool had acetone in use around his tank - bye bye paint!

Hope this helps, Weedie

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some great suggestions!

The rubber pads that I received do not have any adhesion on them and I guess that's the way they all come these days. I have some of that spray-on 3M adhesion the only thing is I'm concerned about being able to adjust the pad before it sets up. I'll do a test on something with it.

The silicone sounds like it would work pretty well. Probably have to tape the pad on the tank while it cures. I'll do a test on something with it too and see how long it takes to set up. I think ten minutes would be to long. Maybe it depends on the brand and type. Weedie, is that the way you did yours?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've always used RTV. Pipe it about an inch from the edge and squiggle in the middle. Push it firmly in place and wipe away any excess. Dries pretty quick to a point where it will hold the weight of the pad and sets up properly in a couple of hours at most. The advantage is that it is very easy to peal away the pad without damaging it and the the RTV on the tank will usually rub off using the tip of your finger and some friction. No damage to paint.

Rod

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The important thing about using RTV is that it holds its properties (adhesion) up to 400 degrees F.
If there's any likelihood of my petrol tank getting anywhere near 400°F.... I'm going to be long gone!!!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
get the pads into the position you want them on the tank using loops of adhesive tape on the back of the pad - just enough to hold them -- then put tape on the tank all around the perimeter of the pad - take the pad off - now you have the exact position of the pad marked on the tank - adhesive of choice - job done

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not a problem

If there's any likelihood of my petrol tank getting anywhere near 400°F.... I'm going to be long gone!!!
Well, let's see. Aluminum goes molten at about 900 degrees F, so I think we're ok here. The 400 degree thing was just my abstract way of saying that no amount of heat off the engine is going to cook the RTV and make it fail, sending your knee pads flappin in the breeze.

Man the devil is always in the details. Notice the pictures of the powder coat failure UNDER the damn castrol stickers on a 5 year old bike? Thos stickers are coming off my bike tomorrow morning.

Carry on Lads, Weedie

·
Registered
436 Posts
Code Man - RTV useage for your knee pads

Some great suggestions!

The rubber pads that I received do not have any adhesion on them and I guess that's the way they all come these days. I have some of that spray-on 3M adhesion the only thing is I'm concerned about being able to adjust the pad before it sets up. I'll do a test on something with it.

The silicone sounds like it would work pretty well. Probably have to tape the pad on the tank while it cures. I'll do a test on something with it too and see how long it takes to set up. I think ten minutes would be to long. Maybe it depends on the brand and type. Weedie, is that the way you did yours?
Hi CodeMan,
The RTV application is something we were using even way back in the day, it had a double use, for an instant gasket material, or for making things stick without ruining either surface. RTV will not harm the paint it sticks to.

Ok here more recently, I bought two little tubes off ebay, just to be sure it was fresh, sealed in its hang card. AutoZone probably sells it the same way, whichever.
THE HOW TO DO IT:
What I was careful about, clean both surfaces,no dust or fingerprints. Use alcohol on t shirt cotton, good to go.
I spread the RTV on thin with an artist paint brush, cover it right to the edge. Spread it on 100% of the surface of the pad, dont goop it on the pad in big blobs, it will ooze past the edges. It "cures" right away. I don't think RTV ever really dries out. Good idea to do your own tests, get familiar with the stuff.

Obviously, you have to know exactly where to set the pad. I taped it on with painter's tape, used two horizontal pieces of tape to reference the pad position, and then its ready for the RTV.

I made note of just exactly WHERE the end of my knee hit the side of the tank, and this gave me the fore/aft position for the pad. The tank on my Thruxton is no peanut, so it took some fooling around to figure out where they looked the best, Try more than than one position.

The RTV should be the automotive type, not the silicone stuff in the caulking tube.

Be patient, have fun. and let us know how it went. Pics are great if you got em.

Cheers, Weedie

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does the "RTV" stand for? Is that a brand name or a special kind of Silicone?
Attached below are the types of Silicone I have on hand. Do you think they'll work?

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
RTV adhesive that works.

What does the "RTV" stand for? Is that a brand name or a special kind of Silicone?
Attached below are the types of Silicone I have on hand. Do you think they'll work?
CodeMan,
I don't know if those will work. I pretty much never use anything that's old in an opened tube. Here's what I used over 10 months ago, pads are solid, correct application of the job.

Brand Name: ProSeal
Description on tube: Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive & Sealant
Size: 1 ounce tube
Made in USA!

I also don't know what the RTV stands for - probably its chemical name (like PVC =poly vinyl chloride)
You should be able to order it off fleabay or the like.

Dont forget those pics of the bike!

Weedie

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brand Name: ProSeal
Description on tube: Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive & Sealant
Size: 1 ounce tube
Made in USA!
Thanks Weedie,

You probably saw what Stuart posted: RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizing.

The silicone that I have doesn't say that it's an "adhesive" so I'll see if I can pick some up tomorrow at the hardware store. The stuff I have is for making gaskets and don't think it's for making things stick together. Thanks again.....Gary

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Good Morning Code Man

Stuart is correct (HI STUART!!) RTV is for Room Temperature Vulcanization. There are 2 basic types of RTV one is Oxy Sensor Safe one is not. The Non Sensor safe usually has a vinegar odor when curing. In the case of our older bikes use the one of your choice. BUT if you have anything late model you work on I would only have sensor safe product in my tool box . I believe both products you showed are sensor safe

Three Bond TB1184 is the same as Yama Bond 3, Honda Bond, Permatex #82194, Loctite #37464.

Permatex #82180 is the same a Loctite product RTV Black 598 Part #37467

The product I previously recommended 3M product s 03061 (UPC 00051131036017) 1oz tube or 08061 (UPC 00051135086010) 5oz tube same item difference is the tube size. This product is called Plastic and Emblem Adhesive. Some of its features it is heat, water and fuel resistant. It is stated to be an exceptional choice for attaching plastic, metal, or vinyl and of things that it can be used for is attaching vinyl side moldings.

Again ask your body shop guy for his recommendation

Have a good afternoon...

K

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everybody that chimed in!:smile2:

I decided to go with silicone instead of the 3M product because I may want to pull the pads off some day and the silicone will probably make it a lot easier.

I went to the hardware store this morning and picked up a new tube of silicone adhesive. They had several different brand names and types there but none of them had the "RTV" label. So I purchased the one that said "adhesive" (see photo below).

I liked the idea WOL had on surrounding the pad with tape so I knew exactly where to locate it when I had the glue on it. That worked really well. After cleaning the pad and the tank with denatured alcohol I applied the silicone in a line about a 1/2" from the edge of the pad squiggled some in the middle. Then I smoothed it out around the edges with a piece of cardboard and put a few small dimples of silicone blobs around the edges about 2 or 3 inches apart and stuck it on. I wiggled it back and forth a little to even out the silicone. The tube said it would take 24 hrs to completely dry so I taped it pretty good to hold it in place.

Tomorrow I'll pull all the tape off and see how it went. Thanks again everybody for your help.....Gary:ride

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts